Helpful Links and References

smr1957

A handy reference resource containing important information and links to sites and discussions that may be helpful for those wishing further information regarding the game.

CURRENT GAME VERSION: 1.10.32

For those participating in the beta and wishing to provide Bethesda with feedback, please visit #steam-beta-feedback on their official Discord Server.

TO REPORT ISSUES IN GAME TO BETHESDA, GO TO:
STARFIELD SUPPORT

IF ON STEAM AND PLAY BUTTON IS GREYED OUT, RESTART STEAM

1) GENERAL INFORMATION

Link to Starfield wiki:

An excellent site with a tremendous amount of game related information:
https://inara.cz/starfield

A good guide for Starfield information:
https://theorigin.de/starfield/
(If it does not appear in English, then at the top of the page, on the right side, click on EN)

Links to Modding sites:

And just a couple of links for more information regarding the AFK patch:

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Both Nexus and AFK are working on versions of a patch, each taking their own approach, but each working for the benefit of the community, and both should be treated with the utmost respect.  Compiling a patch requires a lot of work and dedication, and both teams deserve the community's thanks and support for the selfless work they are doing.

A preview of the game:

And, a discussion with Todd Howard about the game:

Bethesda's Videos (all):

Bethesda's Starfield Vids:

Steam Store site:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800K
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 125 GB available space
Additional Notes: SSD Required

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 125 GB available space
Additional Notes: SSD Required

2) GUIDES & VIDEOS

3) TOOLS

4) MODDING THE GAME

THE GOLDEN RULE OF MODDING

"No matter how good a mod may look or sound, no matter how much you may really want a mod, if the mod does not work as it should, causes issues in your game, or even seems to have the potential to cause issues, dump the mod. A game that does not work is no game at all."  - smr1957

Addendum to the above:

"Until the release of the Starfield Creation Kit, though tempting, modding is not recommended and not supported, as there is too much unknown as to how the game works under the hood, and there may be unforeseen consequences. Remember, it is better to play a game unmodded, then to curse at a modded game that does not work." - smr1957

And, with the advent of Collections on Nexus, a new corollary to that:
"No matter how good a collection may look or sound, if it has a poor success rate, don't use it - and if it doesn't work, or causes issues, dump it." - smr1957

Potential Consequences of Removing Mods Mid-Playthrough

Starfield Script Extender (SFSE) (primary site) - https://sfse.silverlock.org/
Starfield Script Extender (SFSE) (Nexus)

Covers development of the Starfield Script Extender - will list "updates, limitations (etc.) while the project updates."

5) GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING

THINGS TO DO IF THE GAME DOES NOT LAUNCH
Should individuals encounter an issue with their game, there are some basic steps that can be taken which apply to all Bethesda games

If you are still experiencing issues with crashing in Starfield after performing the troubleshooting in What can I do if Starfield is crashing on PC?, see:

ADVANCED TROUBLESHOOTING - CRASHING/FREEZING ON PC - STARFIELD

1 - Make sure that your machine meets the minimum requirements necessary to run the game.  This is the most basic thing, and though seemingly obvious, and something that an individual should do before they place an order for ANY game, it is occasionally overlooked.  If your system does not meet the minimum specs, unless you intend to upgrade anytime soon, you are better off refunding the game - as there is nothing that can realistically be done.

2 - Set the game to run as administrator

3 - Try the classic IT fix.  Exit the game.  Exit Steam (just don't close Steam but completely exit it.  To do so, in the top left corner of your screen, click on Steam (it is in small print and just above the arrows and STORE). From the dropdown menu that appears, click on Exit.  Once Steam has shut down, shut down your PC/Laptop, wait a minute or two, and then reboot.  Once your machine is running, launch Steam and then launch the game.

4 - Validate/Verify the game - doing this will ensure that all the files are as they should be - it is sometimes the case that there may have been an issue with the download or installation causing a file(s) to go missing or become corrupted.  Provided that your PC meets the minimum requirements, this is one of the first steps that should be taken, and solves many, if not most, issues.
NOTE: 1 file will always fail to validate; this is the file governing your graphics card, and as such, it will be acquired when you launch the game.

5 - Check that your antivirus is not blocking the game.  Antiviruses often do this - if so, the game needs to be added to the list of programs that your antivirus should not block

6 - If you are on a PC/Laptop and running into issues where you are unable to save games, see your previous saves, launch the game past the main menu, or having trouble with your .INI files not being updated, make sure that Microsoft's One Drive is disabled.  See:

7 - If all else fails, start a thread in the forum, detailing all the steps you have taken.  Hopefully, someone will have the answers or some ideas, and will be able to help.

The above are just the most basic and general steps that apply to just about any game.  Once more information becomes available, it will be expanded.

6) MISCELLANEOUS

For maps of almost all areas of the game, see this:
https://mapgenie.io/starfield

Links to official sites:
Official Site – http://starfieldgame.com/

CONTACT INFORMATION FOR BETHESDA AND VALVE
Those wishing to contact the companies for the purposes of lodging a complaint or for some other reason, they are advised to do so by using the below listed contact information:

BETHESDA SOFTWORKS LLC

Official Site – http://starfieldgame.com/

For non-game related questions better suited to old fashioned contact means, there is the following:
1370 Piccard Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 926-8300

Bethesda Web Site

Valve
Contact information
Phone:
(425) 889-9642
Fax:
(425) 827-4843
E-mail:
See list on Valve contact page
Address:
PO BOX 1688
Bellevue, WA 98009

And, of course, there is Steam Support:

Further sections will be added as more information becomes available.
Edited by smr1957
added new information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4) Modding the Game

THE GOLDEN RULE OF MODDING

"No matter how good a mod may look or sound, no matter how much you may really want a mod, if the mod does not work as it should, causes issues in your game, or even seems to have the potential to cause issues, dump the mod. A game that does not work is no game at all."  - smr1957

Addendum to the above:

"Until the release of the Starfield Creation Kit, though tempting, modding is not recommended and not supported, as there is too much unknown as to how the game works under the hood, and there may be unforeseen consequences. Remember, it is better to play a game unmodded, then to curse at a modded game that does not work." - smr1957

And, with the advent of Collections on Nexus, a new corollary to that:
"No matter how good a collection may look or sound, if it has a poor success rate, don't use it - and if it doesn't work, or causes issues, dump it." - smr1957

Potential Consequences of Removing Mods Mid-Playthrough

How to make and place a StarfieldCustom.ini and re-enable achievements

Starfield Script Extender (SFSE) (primary site) - https://sfse.silverlock.org/
Starfield Script Extender (SFSE) (Nexus)

Covers development of the Starfield Script Extender - will list "updates, limitations (etc.) while the project updates."
Edited by smr1957

5) General Troubleshooting

Stability and Troubleshooting by Aikido

Naked NPC Fix

WHAT DO I DO IF I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH A MISSION IN STARFIELD?

Regarding Console Commands - Most Often Used "Safe" Console Commands

Useful NPC ID's for .moveto player command

THINGS TO DO IF THE GAME DOES NOT LAUNCH

Should individuals encounter an issue with their game, there are some basic steps that can be taken which apply to all Bethesda games

WHAT CAN I DO IF STARFIELD IS CRASHING ON PC?

If you are still experiencing issues with crashing in Starfield after performing the troubleshooting in What can I do if Starfield is crashing on PC?, see:

ADVANCED TROUBLESHOOTING - CRASHING/FREEZING ON PC - STARFIELD

1 - Make sure that your machine meets the minimum requirements necessary to run the game.  This is the most basic thing, and though seemingly obvious, and something that an individual should do before they place an order for ANY game, it is occasionally overlooked.  If your system does not meet the minimum specs, unless you intend to upgrade anytime soon, you are better off refunding the game - as there is nothing that can realistically be done.

2 - Set the game to run as administrator

3 - Try the classic IT fix.  Exit the game.  Exit Steam (just don't close Steam but completely exit it.  To do so, in the top left corner of your screen, click on Steam (it is in small print and just above the arrows and STORE). From the dropdown menu that appears, click on Exit.  Once Steam has shut down, shut down your PC/Laptop, wait a minute or two, and then reboot.  Once your machine is running, launch Steam and then launch the game.

4 - Validate/Verify the game - doing this will ensure that all the files are as they should be - it is sometimes the case that there may have been an issue with the download or installation causing a file(s) to go missing or become corrupted.  Provided that your PC meets the minimum requirements, this is one of the first steps that should be taken, and solves many, if not most, issues.
NOTE: 1 file will always fail to validate; this is the file governing your graphics card, and as such, it will be acquired when you launch the game.

5 - Check that your antivirus is not blocking the game.  Antiviruses often do this - if so, the game needs to be added to the list of programs that your antivirus should not block

6 - If you are on a PC/Laptop and running into issues where you are unable to save games, see your previous saves, launch the game past the main menu, or having trouble with your .INI files not being updated, make sure that Microsoft's One Drive is disabled.  See:

How to fix One Drive Issues

7 - If all else fails, start a thread in the forum, detailing all the steps you have taken.  Hopefully, someone will have the answers or some ideas, and will be able to help.

The above are just the most basic and general steps that apply to just about any game.  Once more information becomes available, it will be expanded.

Edited by smr1957

6) Miscellaneous

STARFIELD SUPPORT

Difficulty Levels in Starfield

For maps of almost all areas of the game, see this:
https://mapgenie.io/starfield

Links to official sites:
Official Site – http://starfieldgame.com/

CONTACT INFORMATION FOR BETHESDA AND VALVE
Those wishing to contact the companies for the purposes of lodging a complaint or for some other reason, they are advised to do so by using the below listed contact information:

BETHESDA SOFTWORKS LLC

Official Site – http://starfieldgame.com/

For non-game related questions better suited to old fashioned contact means, there is the following:
1370 Piccard Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 926-8300

Bethesda Web Site

Valve
Contact information
Phone:
(425) 889-9642
Fax:
(425) 827-4843
E-mail:
See list on Valve contact page
Address:
PO BOX 1688
Bellevue, WA 98009

And, of course, there is Steam Support:
Edited by smr1957

Reserved

The above sections are currently reserved and will be filled in at a later date as more information becomes available - thanks for your understanding and patience.

MO2 build 2.5.0 Beta 2 now supports Steam version of Starfield.

Window Store builds are incompatible with the VFS, so no MO2 support for them.

Originally posted by Ilja, here.

3 hours ago, Hana said:

Thanks smr for stepping up to this. Are you taking contributions to help fill it up?

For under Tools;

Bethesda Archive Extractor

Starfield Script Extender

Indeed I am - the Helpful Links topics are mostly made up of information supplied by others - I just vet it and compile it if I deem it appropriate. So anyone having any information, or links to some good guides or vids, should feel free to inforn me of them and I will check it out.

Added SFSE to Modding the Game section and BAE to Tools Section

Edited by smr1957

For now, the links will all be in the main topic post.  At the end of the week or over the next weekend I will separate them out and place the links in the appropriate reply box - and the main topic will then just consist of the Introduction, General Information, and links to the individual Sections.  Once that is done, any new links will be added directly into the individual section's box, and a post main informing of the addition (and, occasionally, of a removal).

Many thanks from me, SMR, already proved very useful!

As an xbox gamer just to fill this out vey slightly I am now about 17 hours in and so far avoided going too far in what appears to be the main questline, though I have made it to New Atlantis.

Game loads quickly and smoothly and no matter how may things I try to do at once it has so far proved very forgiving with no glitches at all.

So fingers and everything else crossed. :rolleyes:

I am struggling with the mapping and plethora of minor questlines which appear in New Atlantis but thats down to me I think and my age.

PS Not experienced the green display tinge you mention (as yet)

1 hour ago, XRAT said:

Many thanks from me, SMR, already proved very useful!

As an xbox gamer just to fill this out vey slightly I am now about 17 hours in and so far avoided going too far in what appears to be the main questline, though I have made it to New Atlantis.

Game loads quickly and smoothly and no matter how may things I try to do at once it has so far proved very forgiving with no glitches at all.

So fingers and everything else crossed. :rolleyes:

I am struggling with the mapping and plethora of minor questlines which appear in New Atlantis but thats down to me I think and my age.

PS Not experienced the green display tinge you mention (as yet)

You're very welcome, XRAT!

With me, I am 45 hours in (PC), and have so far not experienced any bugs or glitches - at least in my game playthrough so far.

Edited by smr1957

xEdit for Starfield (Extremely experiment and can only be used for viewing files and not editing them)

Don't know if people are generally aware of this, but there is an extremely experimental version of xEdit for Starfield (viewing only, not for editing things as of yet) - xEdit team had it listed on their Discord - here’s the download link:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/518048160526893057/1149734581075976344/xEdit_4.1.4i_EXTREMELY_EXPERIMENTAL.7z

Name to SF1View.exe or, for the 64 version, SF1View64.exe or add -sf1 and -view to command arguments.
Again, extremely experimental and can only be used for viewing records - it cannot be used for editing, as of yet.

Yes, and please, DO report stuff to them first. Everyone benefits most when the company fixes issues themselves. They also have a set of bug reporting threads on their official Discord server but that's a pretty haphazard setup there and I'm concerned all the reports flooding it will just get lost over time.

Just so people know, this was posted by Ilja over in the Steam forum:
"Currently there is a bug, where players need to complete "Into the Unknown" before doing any big quests. Otherwise game will bug out. BGS also warned about it."

Edited by smr1957

Define "big quests", cause I'm something like 90 hours in already and I have only just begun on that one. Been all over the place and done quite a bit in Akila City, Neon, and New Atlantis, in addition to work on an outpost and stuff. Would be a hell of a thing for the MQ to break and leave this save broken.

Something to add for those who may be frustrated by the outpost system:

In the "Controls" menu, find the one for Outpost Placement Rotation Speed (or something like that). The default speed is 5.00. This is obnoxiously high, at least for me. After dragging it all the way down to 1.00 it's much easier to finely rotate pieces into place when building.

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Define "big quests", cause I'm something like 90 hours in already and I have only just begun on that one. Been all over the place and done quite a bit in Akila City, Neon, and New Atlantis, in addition to work on an outpost and stuff. Would be a hell of a thing for the MQ to break and leave this save broken.

I apologize - I should have verified that information myself and so I need to walk back about it being a definite/verified bug.

This was posted by Ilja in the Steam forum as regards that:

"I can not find the BGS comment about this. Perhaps I misread the notification? In any case, here is what the bug does and how to avoid it. I checked other sources as well. This was the clearest I could find.

https://thenaturehero.com/starfield-into-the-unknown-bug/

Edit:
Chef dug out reddit thread about this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16cwl32/bethesda_support_says_you_should_complete_into/?rdt=47669 "

The above clarification can be found here

Allegedly, the quests that may potentially be affected are:

Back to Vectera
Empty Nest

Bottom line - some people have apparently posted about an issue regarding this, but there does not seem to be anything that would definitely indicate that there is a verified bug directly attributable to or caused by not finishing Into the Unknown, as there are people who reported that they did not do Into the Unknown first, but did the other two quests first, and had no issues.  Indeed, in the Steam Starfield forum, I have seen no mention of people encountering this (yes, I actually wade through all the nonsense posts - LOL! to read the ones that are actually legitimate).

So, all the above being said, without anything verified, it is a personal decision whether to proceed with Into the Unknown first.

(Note: I have not done Into the Unknown, nor have I done the other two - so cannot confirm one way or another myself the veracity of the report)

Edited by smr1957

10 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Yes, and please, DO report stuff to them first. Everyone benefits most when the company fixes issues themselves. They also have a set of bug reporting threads on their official Discord server but that's a pretty haphazard setup there and I'm concerned all the reports flooding it will just get lost over time.

This, absolutely!

Just for general information, anyone encountering a bug should make a note of the exact place the bug occurred, and the actions that they took prior to the bug triggering. And then they should report it to Bethesda here:
STARFIELD SUPPORT -
https://help.bethesda.net/#en/home/product/1218/category/287

That way, at least Beth can fix it in an upcoming update.