Starfield

Arthmoor

Anyone else having strange steam update issues and window defender issues with Starfield? I have starfield on steam, with updates set to "only update this game when I launch it", I have SFSE installed and launch through MO2 2.5.Beta-8, so the game should not be updating. I'm in the middle of an online seminar and steam launches (not open to system tray but running in background) and started to update starfield. This is the second time steam has force updated starfield on me. Around starfield's launch WD has be chronically updating once or twice each day. With each update, it deletes SFSE and occasionally deletes "mod bat/txt files" I have in Starfield's root folder. I followed the steps SFSE offered in regards to WD but had no effect. I'm running windows 10. Any recommendations on how to correct or mitigate either issue would be most appreciated. 

The way SFSE works (or doesn't) may not be the same as the way it is for other Bethesda games, like Skyrim special Edition or Fallout 4.  Also, at this point in time, no one should be blocking updates of the game.  Even when the games does update, the SFSE team will usually have an updated version of the script extender released in a very short time - sometimes only hours, but usually by the next day or two at most.  As for mods - the only mods people should be using at this point are basic retextures and the simplest of .ini adjustments - and even then, a person should use caution.  In addition, there are NO mod managers that are yet able to be used with Starfield.  Work is ongoing but they are still not ready - and except for testing, anything which is a beta and has not been stated as being finalized and ready for general use should not be used; and as of now, there are none that are ready for use.

Basically, from what you have posted, it appears you are running a game that has untested and, in the case of many mods (especially those using .dll files and which are dependent upon SFSE), things that were created and put together using hacks and workarounds - and this is absolutely true should you be using any mods that have an .esp or .esm files - those should under no circumstances be used - they are a broken game waiting to happen, as nothing is yet know about the structure of those files, which require the Creation Kit and xEdit to be properly formatted and made (and those tools will not be available for some time yet).

As to Windows Defender and auto updates from Microsoft, there is not much that can be done about that except to ensure that the Steam folder and any other game related folder is white listed, so all contents are excluded from any anti-virus action, and, after any update, to check that the necessary folders are still beimg listed as exceptions.

I apologize for the long post, and especially if you do not find it to be helpful, but these are some of the important things that we do know, and, as such, I felt I should go into a little detail.  Simply put, for all practical purposes, except for pure retextures and the very simplest of .ini edits, the game is not yet ready for modding.  Anyone who does, is accepting the possibility that things will go wrong, and that if they do, there may not be a fix for it.

Edited by smr1957

Mod Organizer Version 2.5.0 - Beta 12 update information

Beta 12:
Starfield:
Changing plugin management should now automatically update the plugin display
(lib)LOOT 0.22.0 with Starfield support
Adds 'sort' button functionality
Requires plugin management to be enabled (and no sTestFile entries)
Fix for empty plugins.txt warning message
Fix plugin index handling with 'overwrite'-flagged plugins
Added support for force-enabled (but not loaded) plugins (BlueprintShips-Starfield.esm)
EGS (and GOG) support for New Vegas should now be complete
Refresh updates (Holt59)
Better performance / function
Launch arguments are now included and can be picked up by plugins
Updated discord links
Updated translations

Please Note: For the 2.5.0 installer, plugins will be wiped to account for 2.4 plugins being incompatible with 2.5."

Thanks goes to Avrie for the information.

This bears repeating:
If issues are encountered in the game, make a bug report to Bethesda:

TO REPORT ISSUES IN GAME TO BETHESDA, GO TO:
STARFIELD SUPPORT

On that page you will see a selection of 9 categories to choose from; one of them is marked suggestions, so even if you just want to tell Bethesda what you think should be included, but which they did not, there's a place for that, as well.

(link is also listed in the Miscellaneous section)

This is important because, as of now, there is nothing that any independent patching team can do except accept reports, as nothing can be patched by an independent team until the necessary tools (the Creation Kit and xEdit) have been released, and especially concerning things which Bethesda may be actively patching and fixing already (and thus would need to be removed from the independent team's list of bugs - thus making more work for the independent team.)

Looks like Bethesda may have another update in the offing.
As per kdodds on the Steam Starfield forum in The Coffee Pod thread:
"Looks like another update might be incoming this week.  Updated today, same way they did the last one, uploaded on the w/e and made live the following week.

https://steamdb.info...716740/history/ "

original quoted post can be found here

Edited by smr1957

• 2 weeks later...

From Bethesda Game Studios:

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1719782889414357000

"We've been hard at work on 
@StarfieldGame
 updates and will be putting our next one into Steam Beta next week.

This update will feature Nvidia DLSS support with frame generation, display and HDR controls for supported systems, and other optimizations and improvements. You'll be able to opt-in to try it via the Steam Beta options. We’d love your feedback before it goes live for all PC and Xbox players after that.

Stay tuned for the specifics soon, and thanks for playing!"

Bethesda's new patch should be available for testing on Steam (and on Steam only) - I will post the information in Helpful Links and References, as well as here, as soon as I see that it is ready. Just remember, that this will be a Beta release and is for testing, so if anyone decides to use it, make a backup save first and consider the test saves to be throwaways.

I was wondering... How could I report a bug to AFK bug tracker? I doesn't accept my login credentials, thus there is no "new issue" or similar button.  Sure, I could report the bug I just found in Starfield to Bethesda but given their 1 month - 1 patch speed and the fact that they've received thousands of bug reports after launch they probably never implement a fix for it.  To Arthmoor this will take like 1 hour or less. 

Anyway if somebody would be kind enough to relay this information to the bug tracker:

During Deputized mission, at stage "Find the ruffians by examining their tracks" the first set of tracks in the dirt is invisible.  Second set is visible (that's not a bug, the first one is :).

Thanks.

20231107153039_1.jpg

20231107152931_1.jpg

The tracker is a separate account system. So you'd need to register an account on it in order to post the report.

It will unfortunately have to remain that way until such time as I figure out how to integrate the login systems without breaking the tracker.

Patch is available for download on Steam:
Library->Starfield->Properties->Betas.

The drop-down box will now show an available beta.
Select it and the patch should automatically start downloading.

Edited by smr1957

Update Highlights

Nvidia DLSS Support
This update introduces Nvidia DLSS support for our PC players. Compatible Nvidia graphic cards can now use DLSS Super Resolution, Deep Learning Anti-aliasing (DLAA), Nvidia Reflex Low Latency, and DLSS Frame generation. Please note: While DLSS Frame Generation is active, VSync needs to be toggled OFF to see the benefit. We are working to automatically adjust this setting in a future update.

Let Them Eat!
By popular request, we have added the ability to ingest food and drink items upon finding them in the environment. You can enjoy those Chunks immediately or save them for later. The choice is yours.

----

Fixes and Improvements

Performance And Stability
Addressed a number of memory related issues and leaks.
[PC Only] Add some GPU performance optimizations, which will be more impactful on higher end cards.
[PC Only] Improved renderer threading model, improving CPU usage most notably on higher end systems.
Various stability and performance improvements.

Gameplay
Added the ability to eat the food placed in the world
Adjusted stealth to be a bit more forgiving.
Fixed an issue where Andreja’s head would stay permanently cloaked.
Fixed an issue that could prevent players from firing their weapons.
Fixed issues where some NPC could be seen not wearing clothes.
Fixed an issue where already in-progress skill challenges could stop progressing after reaching the Unity and starting a new game.
Fixed an issue that could temporarily prevent opening the inventory or saving after entering the Unity.
PC: Fixed an issue where mouse movement could be choppy.
Fixed a rare issue that could cause the home ship to be lost.
Fixed an issue where the ship services technician might be missing.

Graphics
Addressed an issue with how ambient occlusion appeared in ultrawide resolutions.
Optimized initial shader compilation that occurs on start-up.
Added the ability to adjust Brightness and Contrast in the Display Settings menu.
Added the ability to adjust HDR Brightness provided that the system supports it. (Xbox & Windows 11 only).
Addressed a number of materials that could sometimes present an unintended pattern under certain conditions.
Fixed various visual issues related to the new FOV slider options.
Improved the appearance of the eyes on crowd characters.
Addressed a number of minor visual issues related to lighting, shadows, terrain, and vegetation.

Quests
All That Money Can Buy: Fixed a rare issue where players couldn’t sit during the negotiation with Musgrove.
Blast Zone: Fixed an issue where the hard rocks that need to be cleared out by players will not appear on Ngodup Tate’s land.
Echoes of the Past: Fixed an issue where the Grylloba Queen could sometimes not be reachable during the objective “Secure the Shuttle Bay”.
Eye of the Storm: Fixed an issue where players' quest progression could potentially be blocked due to a missing docking prompt.
Grunt Work: Addressed an issue where progress could appear blocked if “Supra et Ultra” was completed while returning to the Lodge during “High Price to Pay”.
No Sudden Moves: Fixed an issue that could prevent the entrance door to the Scow ship from being opened again.
Operation Starseed: Fixed an issue where the key that is needed to exit the facility could sometimes not be present.
Sabotage: Fixed an issue where David Barron could potentially not be found by players.
Short Sighted: Fixed an issue where players could rarely become control-locked while speaking with Vladimir.
The Heart of Mars: Fixed an issue where players might not be able to mine the “The Heart of Mars”.

Game just had another update:

Beta 1.8.84
FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

Graphics
 - Improved DLSS overall stability
- Fixed an issue with DLSS Frame Generation where occasionally a blur effect could be seen and the screen could turn black.
 - Fixed an issue with DLSS Frame Generation where occasionally blurring or ghosting artifacts could be seen on characters.
 - Fixed an issue where some grain/sharpening could be observed in very dark areas with DLSS enabled.

UI
 - Fixed an issue where DLSS preset was defaulting from Quality to Performance or vice versa upon exiting the Display settings.
 - Fixed an issue where DLSS Frame Generation couldn’t be turned on correctly unless DLSS is enabled.
 - Improved Display settings to force V-sync off when DLSS Frame Generation is turned on.
- Improved Display settings DLSS localization.

Gameplay
 - Fixed an issue where occasionally the camera could shake incorrectly during Traveling, Grav Jumping, Docking, or Landing transitions.

And, from Bethesda:

"For those participating and interested in providing us feedback, please visit #steam-beta-feedback on our official Discord Server."

Edited by smr1957

• 1 month later...

Starfield - End of Year Update from Bethesda Game Studios

"As the year draws to a close, we want to say thank you from the whole team for all the time you've spent in Starfield and all the passion you have for the game. In 2024, we'll be updating roughly every six weeks starting with our next major update in February. Here's some of what we have planned on top of regular bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements:

City maps
New ways to travel
New ways to customize your ships
New gameplay options to further adjust difficulty
Official mod support with the launch of Creations
Our first story expansion, Shattered Space

More info on all of the above will be coming soon but for now, we hope you all have a relaxing holiday season and we can't wait to continue this journey with you in the new year."

In the announcement for the Starfield End of Year Update is the following line: "Official mod support with the launch of Creations".

Does that mean the CK may be available earlier than anyone thinks or expects?

5 minutes ago, Scythe Bearer said:

In the announcement for the Starfield End of Year Update is the following line: "Official mod support with the launch of Creations".

Does that mean the CK may be available earlier than anyone thinks or expects?

I was wondering that myself.  Do they mean that the CK will be released, or just that official Creation Club mods will be available.  I would like to think that it is probably both, as actual supported mods will require the CK in order to be properly made. Guess we will find out soon enough. 

• 4 weeks later...

From BGS Discord server.
"Next week, on January 17, we’ll be putting our biggest Starfield update yet into Steam Beta with over 100 fixes and improvements, with a planned release date for all players two weeks later. Here’s some of what you can expect!

This update contains a multitude of fixes to Quests. Eye of the Storm issues such as being unable to dock with the Legacy or data transfer not starting, and Temples not showing up in 'Into the Unknown', will no longer prevent Constellation from exploring the cosmos.

Additionally, this update brings stability improvements and numerous graphic improvements ranging from additional widescreen support to improved textures, lighting, and shadows. See the character creation before and after shots attached below.

Other fixes and improvements include sun disk geometry, planet ring shadows, bulldozed objects reappearing when returning to an Outpost, ship hatches marked inaccessible, and another fix for asteroids following ships. The full update notes will be posted next week when the Steam Beta is released!"

As posted originally by Ilja, here.

Beta Update is now available on Steam for those wishing to opt-in.  To opt-in, right click on Starfield in your game library, select properties from the drop down menu, click Betas on the left hand side of the box that appears, and then, for Beta Participation, in the small selection box on the right, click on that and select "beta - Beta." Then close.

STARFIELD UPDATE 1.9.47.0 NOTES – JANUARY 18, 2024 - IN BETA
https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfield/article/7rNcXwvJzZzHaDYkgjZclN/starfield-update-1-9-47-0-notes-january-18-2024-in-beta

Edited by smr1957

One thing that I (and some others over in The Coffee Pod in the Steam forum) have noticed with the Beta, is that the skin tones are not as good as they had been - they appear to have lost some of the vibrancy they had before the Beta, and appear somewhat washed out or flat, now.

• 2 weeks later...

New Beta Update just dropped.

Starfield Update 1.9.67 Notes – February 7, 2024 [BETA]
"We’ve added a new update to Steam Beta that includes AMD’s FSR 3 options and a few other fixes. We encourage all of our Steam PC players to try it out and let us know your thoughts before this update goes live for all our players soon.

Other fixes included in this update will be related to performance and stability, including adjustments done to address the FormID issue we’ve seen several commenting on.

As always, we appreciate all your feedback and support! See you in Starfield.

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

GRAPHICS
Added support for AMD FidelityFXTM Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3). (PC)
Added support for Intel Xe Super Sampling (XeSS). (PC)
Fixed an issue that could make the clouds appear to vibrate when using DLSS performance mode. (PC)
Fixed minor visual artifact that could occur when aiming with a weapon or task swapping.

STABILITY
Changed how FormIDs are freed when loading saves. This should improve stability for saves that have visited many locations.
Fixed a crash that could happen when making changes to the ship that required all items to be moved to the cargo bay in the Ship Builder menu.

MISCELLANEOUS
Reverted a change that caused the data menu to open when taking screenshots with F12 (PC)
Fixed an issue causing the resolution scale to reset to 1.0 when switching from Fullscreen to Windowed mode when using DLSS. (PC)"