The Big ESO thread.

Lorelai

@Arth - most of the time I don't even run the game through the launcher but directly through the .exe in the game folder. Give it a try after you update and see if it helps?

@Pete - :o You know that when I see blue/yellow in PvP zones I immediately go into killkillkill mode so... :devil:

In other news, I'm really excited about Orsinium, and the baby bear and bear mount are OMGOMGOMGWANT!! We'll see what new bugs this DLC brings though. :troll: *sigh*

I always launch the game through the main client too. I only checked the launcher because the lag was so bad I thought maybe it might be down a couple of times, only to find out even the launcher was struggling. There were people on the forum who thought it was a conspiracy by ZoS to make them watch the ads before starting the game. Instead, it was just because they screwed up bad and had to fix it. Surprise! (not)

My actual lag (high ping etc.) seems to have fixed itself (miraculously...pfft) after the recent server maintenance they did but I have been getting quite a bit of odd framerate drops and there are areas where I only get 30 frames or lower, even though my PC is more than capable of handling the graphics.

Heck, yesterday I was tanking (I made my NB a magicka tank) for gold pledge in Banished Cells and I started getting 3-5 fps CONSTANTLY >_>

Needless to say that almost went horrible because you cannot react when frames drop so low and we had no healer because we were derping around.

Regarding the framerate drops, I have tried everything on my end and it's the same. I even tried lowering the graphics to the point where the game looked disgusting only to find out I had *better* FPS with max graphics! :blink:

One thing to note through re: high latency/in-game lag - I have noticed that at certain points when Cyro is *very* active, it can cause issues in strictly PvE zones too. This is mostly when there are a bunch of zergs flying all over the map. 

Heck now I know that if I'm roaming in PvP and my ping gets ridiculously high, combined with a big drop in FPS, I'm approaching a zerg, possibly a zerg with stacked Proxy Detonation on them :X

The last campaign days of the previous Azura's Star cycle have been pretty bad for some people in both PvP and PvE because every alliance came out of the sewers in a desperate try to win the campaign, or whatever nonsense they were trying to do (It was futile because EP had a huge score advantage and there was no way they could outscore us but meh).

Now I am not looking forward to the last days of this Azura's cycle because a lot of guilds seem to have moved to this campaign and I dunno how the server will cope with that :X

So if we get that lag while playing in PvE we know that something big just went down in Cyrodiil? :P

I doubt very much my rig is dropping frames to the point where the game chugs for half a dungeon and then just suddenly decides to wake up in the middle of an intense fight, with actions catching up to where it thinks I should be. Nor would I expect frame drops to be the cause of suddenly being pulled back several hundred feet in a disorienting teleport-like effect. Either way, I think both problems are caused by the same thing - crappy server management.

So if we get that lag while playing in PvE we know that something big just went down in Cyrodiil? :P

Never thought of that. :D  If that's the case it really stinks for PvE players and Todd should really do something about it.

Either way, I think both problems are caused by the same thing - crappy server management.

I have to agree with that; it has to be Todd's fault. :troll:  Sure my PC is old, but there is no correlation between when the latency increases happen and when my internet connection and/or PC is running slowly. Way too many people experience lagging for it not to be the developer's server's fault.

To be more specific - what you are describing, Arth, is just (well..."just") lag, not frame-rate drop. You could have 120 frames and still be affected by rubber-banding. 

You *can* get framerate drops when the server lags but it's not guaranteed for that to happen. 

But yeah, bottom line is that it's server-related. The bad framerates are because the game is poorly optimized (shocking, I know). It could just as well be single-player offline and you wold still see these bad framerates creep up.

Guess they got done with the patch maintenance sooner than the 12 hours they expected, which is a change. :troll:

Seems as though the rumors about it being a 20+ GB download weren't true after all. Apparently it's "only" 4GB.

Lots of bug fixes/changes this time too: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/227778/pc-mac-live-patch-notes-v2-2-4

Also, :facepalm: assuming it's true they broke the first quest in the DLC: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/228254/first-quest-in-new-dlc-bugged

Wow, seriously? The initial quest is so bugged it doesn't even function for one whole alliance? Don't they have a QA team? An entire test server where people are supposed to find shit like that?

Also, what the hell. The launcher downloaded like 5GB of data but is patching over 30GB worth? How broken is my game going to be now? :troll:

Yeah, not sure how that didn't get detected during the month they had it on the public test server but from what I've been reading people claim that the issue didn't exist until they actually released it earlier today. It appears as though they've finally issue a hotfix to address the problem after people complained enough about it. As far as a QA team goes it makes you wonder if they sent Skyrim's QA people over to work on ESO which we all know were not very efficient. :troll:

The installation was really large (at least 30GB for me too) and people are speculating that they've been adding stuff for Orsinium in the incremental patches for a while now which might explain why some of the previous ones were so large in size despite fixing next to nothing.

The latest thing now is that they apparently broke guild banks and people are reporting that stuff has been disappearing: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/228369/guild-banks-gutted   :peer:

That guild bank thing is bad. Stacks of 200 cut to 183, some stacks of less than 200 how having way over 200, and people reporting new deposits vanishing into the void.

Data corruption is BAD, why aren't they taking the server offline to fix it?

Beats me, but you're right this is a really serious issue that they should have taken care of right away even if it meant staying at work past 5pm. That pretty much shows me that they don't care enough to bother.

Guess we'll see if they get the problem sorted out before the patch and DLC hit the XboxOne and PS4 consoles November 3rd and 4th.  :troll:

Either way, I can't see them compensating anyone or even fixing it at this point since the damage is already done, but they do need to fix the underlying issue so that the problem doesn't get even worse.

Sure looks like it. Why not just bring the servers down for a few hours and hotfix the issue? I mean, maybe they don't exactly know how to fix it yet or something, but this is a rather serious problem and they should put some effort into getting it figured out. People are never happy about the downtime but it's better than waiting and letting the problem get worse.

Patch today, about 150MB.

Kind of a big fix, surprised none of us who do writs never noticed:

Gear obtained from Crafting Writs in Orsinium will now be Veteran Rank 15, instead of incorrectly being Veteran Rank 10.

And the two big ones:

Provisioning writs will now correctly award recipes instead of occasionally awarding lockpicks.
Fixed an issue where some Guild Bank stacks had a reduced amount of items after patch 2.2.4. These items will automatically be restored to your Guild Banks upon login.

Hah. I knew that lockpick wasn't supposed to be in there. They owe me several recipes now. :troll:

Also good that they supposedly fixed the guild bank problem. They really shouldn't have let it go as long as they did.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/225527/loading-screens-any-update/p6

Hey guys, we finally have an update for you on this issue. As we've mentioned previously, in the past few patches we've been adding code to the backend to track this issue and give us more data. We're happy to let you know that we have a fix going into Monday's PC incremental patch that should fix the long loading screens - turns out it was tied to anyone that had completed a lot of quests.

Thanks for staying patient with us while we tracked this one down!

"Tied to anyone that had completed a lot of quests."  :peer:  Okay, and that includes what... about 99.9% of people by now? :rofl:

Nice to hear that it might actually get fixed, but knowing them they'll probably break something else in the process. :trollcricket:

A second notification about it:

As a heads up - next weeks update (11/16) on PC will have a fix for one of the major causes of the long load screens. This won't fix every load screen issue, but resolves the most frequent cause. We'll continue to work on the issue until we get the load times back to acceptable levels.

Console players, this fix will unfortunately not make Orsinium launch next week. It will go in the first incremental patch which we're targeting for the 2nd week of December.

Oh, now they say it won't fix all of them. :peer:  Also, that last part is interesting; luckily none of us have the game on console.  :xmastroll:

Oh sure, they fix it just as I finish more or less all of the content I have available to me. I see how it is Matt :troll:

The latest patch today was small (~150 MB) but there were two things fixed that really needed to be. http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/231311/pc-mac-live-patch-notes-v2-2-6

Fixed an issue that was causing increased load times for player characters with a large number of completed quests.

About time they finally did something about that annoyance. Judging from people's comments on the forums the load screen times have at least been cut in half which is an improvement.

Adjusted the cost scaling for Block and Sprint. These costs are equal to what they were before the Orsinium DLC for a VR16 character, and slightly cheaper for lower level characters.

Finally, after they somehow managed to mess that up with the 2.2.4 patch. That was getting really annoying running out of stamina so quickly.

Rogjoll the Mule will no longer duplicate himself when multiple player characters turn in crafting writs at the same time.

That was just silly; not sure how they managed to "Louis Letrush" him in the first place.  :D

"When player characters turn in crafting writs at the same time" - Uh, ZoS, no. He was duplicated all the time. Many times I'd go by without having any writs to do at all and he was still duplicated.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a 380 MB patch on November 30th: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2015/11/30/patch-notes-v227-pcmac

And also another smaller one yesterday (December 7th): http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2015/12/07/patch-notes-v228-pcmac

It just looks like some more minor fixes, but the latest one fixed one thing that has been bothering me for while:

Fixed an issue that was causing hints on loading screens to cycle more rapidly than intended.

That was especially annoying when it cycled too quickly through the lore information that is often displayed on a dungeon load screen since it couldn't be read quickly enough in most cases.

I always wondered if that was a bug since the cycling got fast like that after they started tweaking to bring down the load screen times months ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the fence about this game... should I buy ESO or Shadow of Mordor? I've been a Tolkien fan for at least 20 years and I'm a huge Peter Jackson fan of both movies, but I really like the ES lore.

How deep ESO is in that regard? Some reviewers claim it's a bit shallow and repetitive. Despite having the subscription payment canceled, how important is the constant money supply (buying the crowns to buy the stuff in-game) for the game progression and richness?  Is ESO just a spin-off in the series and doesn't quite follow/set the trends?
On the other hand I've read that Shadow of Mordor is mostly action-oriented and the story is only ~30h deep. Considering how much time I invested into Skyrim, 30h is barely scratching the surface.

Don't know about shallow, but yes, I'd say it can get repetitive but that's also largely only if you let it. Don't always do the same things :P

No, you don't need to use the Crown Store at all to enjoy the game. I played through everything and only ever used Crowns to get the Orsinium DLC. Never once felt pressure from the game to buy them for any other purpose than the DLC. I don't really see anything in the store that would give anyone a massive advantage over someone who simply spent the time to get to the same point. It's mainly a convenience thing that's easily avoided.

Yeah, buying Crowns for Orsinium was on my mind too. :) Great. So it's entirely possible to just wander around, exploring the lore, figuring things, without always being in some fractions, guilds, progressing and fighting, etc.?

Part of the fun I have in Skyrim is just wandering around, enjoying the scenery and atmospherics, building homes, reading books, crafting, alchemy...

Thanks!

I tend to think of it as Skyrim Online, so...yes, mostly.  Turn off the various zone/say/whatever channels, ignore the whacky people wandering around, and it's possible to have a pretty much entirely singleplayer experience out of the thing.  You do want other people for some of the big dungeons (optional but nice), and being in a guild makes crafting a LOT easier, but if you want to just go fishing for 4 hours, ain't nothing to stop you.

Not that anybody here has gone fishing for 4 hours.  Ever.  Nope.