[WIPz] TES5Edit

zilav

Zilav I found a graphical glitch while testing out Mator's Smashed Patch script

I noticed that after choosing Apply Script, then selecting the script from the list of Scripts and running it - The Apply Script dialogue is still showing behind the Smash Selection dialogue ( its like the graphics do not refresh underneath the Smash window )

If you also drag the Smash window over the top of TES5Edit window to the left ( list of plugins ), when you then drag it to the right the TES5Edit list of plugins becomes graphically blanked .. Which also feels like a graphical refresh on overlapping windows is getting lost.

This only happens for me on Win 7 x32, with windows having a Classic Desktop theme ( Aero off )

Alright, so.. I'm not sure where else I ought to report this issue..

In a nutshell; seemingly at random (and very infrequently) when updating my Weather and Ambience Overhaul, the plugin will cause CTDs on startup. For clarity; on certain updates, generally after copying over edited sound descriptors, my plugin will simply cause Skyrim not to load.

I know this doesn't seem to make any sense, as startup CTDs are typically caused by missing masters, but.. Even though there are no missing masters, Skyrim will not load. TES5Edit's error checking finds no issue of any kind.

This is something I've just now run into for the second time. The first instance led to my rebuilding WAO from the start because I never managed to find the solution. I'd thought it was a 'fluke', that somehow something didn't copy over properly but TES5Edit couldn't tell, and so started from scratch.

Now, of course, I'm not so sure. :\

Edit: For the record, I don't use the CK, I do all my edits in T5E, so I'm really not sure what could have gone wrong.

I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but I have been getting in the habit of using modgroups.  When creating a modgroups file it appears that the name of the file must match one of the mods listed within the file or TES5Edit will ignore it.  I'm running 1883 and I haven't been able to find a lot of information about modgroups, so I thought I would report this in case it is not intended functionality.  

For instance, here is one of my modgroups files:

filename "STEP Extended Patch.modgroups"

[sTEP Patch]
Skyrim.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - No Homes - Full Version.esm
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and BOOZE.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
;Removed - Replaced with Requiem patch that does not require this ESP ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp
STEP Extended Patch.esp

Now, rename the "STEP Extended Patch.modgroups" to "STEP.modgroups" and it will no longer load.  Just a FYI and I wasn't sure where if anywhere else to post this or if it's even relevant. I have tried numerous combinations of this and it is easy to replicate, at least on my end.

What surprises me is how useful modgroups are and the complete lack of information (at least that I can find) on people using them.  Far superior to LOOT and makes finding conflicts VERY easy.

In a nutshell; seemingly at random (and very infrequently) when updating my Weather and Ambience Overhaul, the plugin will cause CTDs on startup. For clarity; on certain updates, generally after copying over edited sound descriptors, my plugin will simply cause Skyrim not to load.

There are a lot of reasons why Skyrim could crash. You metioned weather, from my experience game crashes if you saved with a new weather active (even in interiors), and then removed plugin, or weather record, or changed it's form id.

I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but I have been getting in the habit of using modgroups.  When creating a modgroups file it appears that the name of the file must match one of the mods listed within the file or TES5Edit will ignore it.  I'm running 1883 and I haven't been able to find a lot of information about modgroups, so I thought I would report this in case it is not intended functionality.

Check this post

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3750-wipz-tes5edit/page-19#entry151819

I'm not using modgroups myself since, I never install a lot of mods, only essential ones for me. Usually it is around 30-50 mods. But it is definitely helpful for big installations for sure with hundreds of mods.

If you still have questions, I can check source code.

• Like 2

Check this post

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3750-wipz-tes5edit/page-19#entry151819

I'm not using modgroups myself since, I never install a lot of mods, only essential ones for me. Usually it is around 30-50 mods. But it is definitely helpful for big installations for sure with hundreds of mods.

If you still have questions, I can check source code.

w00t...ok intended behavior and I just missed this item.  Thank you for pointing it out to me.  I created a specific MO custom folder called Modgroups and all it does is contain all my modgroups.  Sorry I missed that bit of text in that post that you referenced.

I'm working with a rather large install that is climbing close to limit of what Skyrim will load.  I have found the modgroups option is simply the best way to ensure the exact compatibility I want with this combination.

There are a lot of reasons why Skyrim could crash. You metioned weather, from my experience game crashes if you saved with a new weather active (even in interiors), and then removed plugin, or weather record, or changed it's form id.

I keep finding out more and more how true that is. A whole lot of reasons. It was none of those, and actually didn't relate to weather; also, we're talking startup CTDs, not on load.

Apparently there's a change to a random unknown under water velocity that I managed to remove. Essentially; I found a dirty edit in SOS-Wilds that is vital to the mod functioning; the main menu doesn't load if this entry is removed.

I keep finding out more and more how true that is. A whole lot of reasons. It was none of those, and actually didn't relate to weather; also, we're talking startup CTDs, not on load.

Apparently there's a change to a random unknown under water velocity that I managed to remove. Essentially; I found a dirty edit in SOS-Wilds that is vital to the mod functioning; the main menu doesn't load if this entry is removed.

Actually, can you please make a test plugin with just that "crashing" record and show what to remove to make game CTD? I will add a small check and warning message in TES5Edit if it encounters such plugins in future.

• Like 1

Can you list the FormID that is vital to the mod functioning?  It would help to make TES5Edit more accurate.  Normally this would be tested with a fresh plugin made from the CK.  However, with that information we can see if it needs to be considered when evaluating ITMs or if it's something the mod author shouldn't have done to begin with.

EDIT: Zilav's idea is probably better but knowing the FormID from SOS wilds that causes the issue would still be nice.

I just uploaded compiled binaries from the saves branch. Those should let you Dump FNV and TES5 saves, and coSaves from all 4 games (TES4/TES5/FO3/FNV). TES5ViewSaves should load any coSave and TES5/FNV Save in the standard xView interface.

Note that those binaries support the same parameters and the same naming convention as the regular xEdit/xDump, except that loading Saves or coSaves in Edit mode is explicitly prohibited.

here: https://code.google.com/p/skyrim-plugin-decoding-project/source/browse/TES5Edit/releases/TES5Dump%20experimental%203.0.33/TES5DumpAndSavesExperimental-r1899-3.0.33.zip

The scroll bar in the left pane presently can be single-clicked to reverse the sort order. I do not know why this exists, but could this function be removed please? It's no different from clicking a column header. I have from time to time clicked it by accident when selecting a record causing great confusion. I have also started using WindowBlinds and for some strange reason (I cannot think why else this is happening other than through WindowBlinds) whenever I drag the scroll bar, releasing the mouse button acts as a single click, so once I have reached the location I wanted in the column of records it then flips the sort order immediately, requiring an actual click to correct it.

The scroll bar in the left pane presently can be single-clicked to reverse the sort order. I do not know why this exists, but could this function be removed please? It's no different from clicking a column header. I have from time to time clicked it by accident when selecting a record causing great confusion. I have also started using WindowBlinds and for some strange reason (I cannot think why else this is happening other than through WindowBlinds) whenever I drag the scroll bar, releasing the mouse button acts as a single click, so once I have reached the location I wanted in the column of records it then flips the sort order immediately, requiring an actual click to correct it.

There is something in your system, clicking on the scroll bar doesn't reverse order.

• Like 1

I can confirm this.  I could make a youtube video showing me clicking on the bar but i don't see the need.  No matter where I click, how many times, and whether or not I click slightly above the bar which mimics dragging it up, the order never changes.

I have been testing the Bash patch and I get actual ITMs but I also get records that shouldn't be in the Bash Patch because the winning plugin already has the same values.  This won't be addressed until a future release because of all the issues with the code. However, for now I'd like to remove those records to see just how bad it is and where it is happening.  Zilav, is there a script already that would remove a record from the selected plugin if the record in the previous plugin is an ITM or the winning record with the same values?  

I have been testing the Bash patch and I get actual ITMs but I also get records that shouldn't be in the Bash Patch because the winning plugin already has the same values.  This won't be addressed until a future release because of all the issues with the code. However, for now I'd like to remove those records to see just how bad it is and where it is happening.  Zilav, is there a script already that would remove a record from the selected plugin if the record in the previous plugin is an ITM or the winning record with the same values?  

I ran into this issue awhile ago with Mator Smash and haven't figured out a way to resolve it yet.  Sometimes the override prior to the override record in a Smashed Patch ends up being identical to the record in the Smashed Patch.  I don't yet know how to check when this happens, or how to remove it in an efficient manner.

Hopefully there is an alternative because I want to build Bash Patches with Wrye Bash in Oblivion and Skyrim and then use the reports from the cleaning to illustrate how bad the patchers are doing.  Reports like 305 built Bash Patch with CBash and it had 250 ITMs, and 150 Records equal to Previous or Winning Plugin.  Then I can make one with the Python Patcher and say a Bash Patch make with 305 and PBash had 500 ITMs, and 350 Records equal to Previous or Winning Plugin.  I can use only certain patchers, or whatever to try and isolate the Issues Wrye Bash has.

You mean a record in bashed patch has the same values as the last override, so basically just a copy of it?

ITM in previous plugin doesn't make sense to me. Just clean all plugins and there will be no ITMs in previous or any other plugins at all.

• Like 1

You mean a record in bashed patch has the same values as the last override, so basically just a copy of it?

Yes.

ITM in previous plugin doesn't make sense to me. Just clean all plugins and there will be no ITMs in previous or any other plugins at all.

Like in the screen shot in this post.  That record didn't need to end up in the Bash Patch.  The UOP for Shivering Isles is already the winning plugin with the winning record.

Like in the screen shot in this post.  That record didn't need to end up in the Bash Patch.  The UOP for Shivering Isles is already the winning plugin with the winning record.

Uploaded new version.

There is a new "Remove identical to previous override records" script.

• Like 1

Uploaded new version.

There is a new "Remove identical to previous override records" script.

Thanks, but when I went to Beyond Compare to start copying it, the EXE is a binary equal of 1898.