Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Need I remind you:

Also' date=' Morrowind is 10x the game either of the Fallouts was.[/quote']So apparently it did need to be said, you just said too much.And look, are you seriously calling me an Obsidian fanboy as if I hadn't ripped the shit out of Obsidian games in the past? Sorry, but no.And yeah, actually, my/prettyfly's/Thomas' opinions on this particular matter ARE more relevent than yours, because we have hundreds of more hours of experience than you with the thing in question, which is to say we all know what we're talking about, and X number of random forum people probably don't. Similarly, I would not expect people at NASA to listen to my opinions on rocket science, because I don't know dick about it and can't make an informed judgement.So, you know. You don't want to play F:NV, that's cool. Just stop acting like you know what you're talking about when you don't.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

In other news, dear iPod: What possible brain damage made you think that putting newest episodes first was a good idea for podcasts, especially podcasts where I have 48 or so unlistened to episodes? I could just click play and listen, but nooooo, after each ep I have to scroll through menus. Audiobooks do this too.This is possibly the stupidest idea since that one useless Twitter screen.

So' date=' you know. You don't want to play F:NV, that's cool. Just stop acting like you know what you're talking about when you don't.[/quote']Only if you stop acting like my opinion is worthless just because I haven't played it. Making a judgment based on their past shitty performance is a perfectly valid opinion to hold, and a perfectly valid opinion to argue. Stop acting like it only counts if I intentionally subject myself to a shitty game just so I can come back in 6 days and say "yep, it surely sucked as much as people told me it did".

Making a judgement based on past shitty performance when everyone else here is telling you they've turned over a new leaf is also quite petty. So yes, it will count for a lot if you were to play the game and come back in six days saying it was just as shitty as you thought. Because then you would be able to tell us exactly why based on only that game rather than continuously parroting Obsidian's past mistakes as your only reason, because we as individuals think it is not a good one.

Apparently you guys just don't get it. This is like seeing the previews to a movie you were mildly interested in. The previews sucked ass, the movie was done by a studio you don't like to begin with. Tons of people have said the movie sucked, including several of your close friends. Then you find out the price of the tickets went up, and you decide that indeed it isn't worth it.If you're going to tell me that this is not the same thing, I don't really know what else to say. People make decisions like this ALL THE TIME and it's perfectly legitimate for them to pass that information along to others.I don't need to sample nuclear fallout in the real world to know I shouldn't play with it. I don't need to get shot in the face to know that handling a gun is dangerous. I don't need to drink poison to know I'm going to die if I do so. And I don't need to play a game done by a shitty studio just to have an opinion on it.

Well.1. Open Cities will lag your game to hell, and it causes crashes because it's a buggy mod. I mean, I've never played it, but I saw a bunch of people saying that, so it must be true.2. Not to disbelieve or anything, but do people you actually know well have bad issues with F:NV? Because all the people I've ever seen you talk with about it pretty much like it.3. I can't speak for the others, but I don't have a lot of problem with the idea that you made a purchasing decision based on past performance (incorrectly, IMHO, but that's beside the point). We all do that all the time. What I have a problem with is you then taking every opportunity you possibly can to diss on F:NV based on hearsay. It'd be one thing if you had played the game and were like "Yeah, I really hated that thing with the deathclaws north of Goodsprings, and really what was with the Boomers anyway?" Instead, you're making vague assertions based on even vaguer hearsay in direct opposition to everyone else on the forum who's played the game, for pretty much no reason.So yeah, that's maybe just a little petty.

1. Open Cities will lag your game to hell' date=' and it causes crashes because it's a buggy mod. I mean, I've never played it, but I saw a bunch of people saying that, so it must be true.[/quote']Yep, confirmation you're not getting it. Equating something that can be objectively disproven with facts doesn't have any relationship whatsoever to a purchasing decision based on the opinions of countless people, some of whose opinions I trust *ARE* based on having played the game.
2. Not to disbelieve or anything, but do people you actually know well have bad issues with F:NV? Because all the people I've ever seen you talk with about it pretty much like it.
Some do, yes. Your definition of bad clearly doesn't align with theirs. Also, nice veiled attempt at suggesting only online opinions matter. I've got several friends I meet with in person who have flat out said the plot is weak, the story is lame, the game is too damn short, and there was nothing uniquely interesting about it to make it stand out. Basically the same argument I've seen plenty of reviewers make. It's Fallout 3.1. The whole thing likely could have been an X-pack for FO3 and would have had a much better reception.Also the Obsidian thing. I know I am not alone in being skeptical of them from the start. It's not blind hatred to hold someone accountable for their past performance and/or actions in the market. We as consumers do it all the time. There's a well respected magazine that does this for a living, and is widely regarded as a fair source of information that people take seriously. The companies they review take the results seriously too.From where I'm sitting, with everything I've read, seen for myself, and been told countless times, the only way I'm ever going to have a "valid opinion" is if someone hands me a copy of the game for free. There's no way in hell I'd spend even $5 to get the whole package based on the information I've made my decision on. So if you're done making wild accusations of me being a dick about this, we can move on.
3. I can't speak for the others, but I don't have a lot of problem with the idea that you made a purchasing decision based on past performance (incorrectly, IMHO, but that's beside the point). We all do that all the time.
Except that you apparently do have a problem with it.

Arthmoor, it is rather like me dissing on Skyrim because is using STEAM and does not give me base Stats.Those two are dealbreakers for me - but I don't judge you for enjoying the game and wanting to mod it despite the engine being completely fucked.

Yep' date=' confirmation you're not getting it. Equating something that can be objectively disproven with facts doesn't have any relationship whatsoever to a purchasing decision based on the opinions of countless people, some of whose opinions I trust *ARE* based on having played the game.[/quote']What, sort of like how I can objectively disprove the "bug ridden mess" thing? But no, my whole point here is that "trust" bit, followed by that "countless people" bit. You're trusting that random forum people (unless you know a LOT of people with F:NV personally) know what they're talking about when you've spent a large chunk of your life railing against the idiocy of random idiots who don't have the experience to know what they're talking about. You TRUST. You don't actually KNOW much of anything.Put another way, if you heard a movie critic (or game reviewer, as the case may be) say what you've said, essentially "I didn't actually have anything to do with this, but I hear it sucks, so I'm giving it 1/10 in my review" you'd laugh yourself sick at that guy. And yet.Like I keep saying, I don't really give a shit if you don't want to buy the game or whatever. But if you're going to start trying to talk about things like you know what you're talking about, I pretty much expect you to know what you're talking about, and not rely on the lame "countless people" dodge.
Some do' date=' yes. Your definition of bad clearly doesn't align with theirs. Also, nice veiled attempt at suggesting only online opinions matter. I've got several friends I meet with in person who have flat out said the plot is weak, the story is lame, the game is too damn short, and there was nothing uniquely interesting about it to make it stand out. Basically the same argument I've seen plenty of reviewers make. It's Fallout 3.1. The whole thing likely could have been an X-pack for FO3 and would have had a much better reception.[/quote']Ok, people in RL, that's cool. That's valid. But look, if you're going to throw around terms like "countless people" and act like you get all your info from the support forum at Beth, that's pretty much how I'm going to treat you.All of which is a seperate matter from the assertions made, all of which I think are completely false, albeit pretty subjective, but that's pretty much beside the point.Which is all to say that most people who make purchasing decisions make the decision and let it go without gratuitous insults years after the fact.

This is like watching your two favourite uncles fighting.I'm going to leave for a few days until you guys can patch this up, because it's starting to look ugly and I find that distressing.

Never read the politics threads on his blog. All I'm saying.But insofar as this IS starting to get a bit ridiculous, and we need something that isn't Rabbit vs. Lizard! Fight! in this thread...Here is a picture of Lego pirates attacking Bill Clinton. Enjoy.pirateclinton.jpg

Which is all to say that most people who make purchasing decisions make the decision and let it go without gratuitous insults years after the fact.
Most people also don't have to listen to other people constantly droning on about how great something they purchased was either. Most folks who buy things buy them and then let it go without the gratuitous prancing about it years after the fact.Bottom line here is, if you're going to keep dragging it up all the time, expect blow back from those of us who aren't interested and have seen enough to have decided we don't want it.@Sigurd: Fear not. This happens from time to time. Friends are allowed to disagree with each other. Even strongly :) I think you probably understand what I'm getting at though since, while you chose to pass on Skyrim, you haven't been rubbing it in our faces since November either.

No, this is all bitter enemity! Die, evil lizard! :PYeah, um. So some vast amount of F:NV discussion here is between those of us, you know, playing the game. It's not like we're taunting you or anything, we're having conversations between ourselves.Until we're not, so much.And I guess no takers on the Lego pirates. Oh well. I've got some Lego Star Wars guys around here somewhere, would that work?[edit] Grumpy Lizard of Argonia. Heh.

If it makes you feel better, Grumpy, I do a lot of fast traveling in F:NV because the landscape is so drab and featureless. :smile:

@Dwip; the pirate ship is cool, if it makes you feel better. Although, at first glance I thought it was hanging a Bill Clinton sail rather than attacking him.

Heh, well, you do realize that this whole run got started because prettyfly mentioned a forum thread where everyone said Morrowind was the better game, right? :PWait... it was a conspiracy all along, wasn't it! Confess!

My husband bought me Lego Kingdoms as a joke for my birthday. It has a barn, a horse drawn cart and a windmill. Between that and the little figurines, it looked a lot like Skyrim. And you know what the best part was? The dragon statue from the collector's edition fit perfectly on the barn roof! I was going to take a picture of it, but that would require I clean my desk off... Maybe I should. :lol:

Heh' date=' well, you do realize that this whole run got started because prettyfly mentioned a forum thread where everyone said Morrowind was the better game, right? :P

Wait... it was a conspiracy all along, wasn't it! Confess![/quote']Well, I'm not really sure a comparison between the two is warranted at all, considering the nine year time gap between them. And one is chance-oriented while the other is player-oriented.I still say the two are far too different from each other to compare if you want to get any reasonable conclusions out of it. I'm not going to pass judgement on which is the better game because I'm essentially being asked to choose whether the beer or the vodka is better. Kinda pointless. :tongue:

Well, my intention was to point out the stupidity of the people who thought that someone who found NV to much of a challenge would enjoy Morrowind.

Well' date=' my intention was to point out the stupidity of the people who thought that someone who found NV to much of a challenge would enjoy Morrowind. [/quote']True enough, NV is about as hardcore an RPG as you're going to get nowadays. If you can't handle that, no way in hell will you find Morrowind fun.

So I just took this "how big is your vocabulary" quiz, and by their estimate, I know 42027 words. Not sure if that is good or bad, but whatever, at least its a big number. :grinning: