Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Holy shit. There's no Papyrus function to check if the player is riding a horse or not. How the hell does that get left out?
I ain't lettin' that stop me. :tongue:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

Me: Bookshelves. That can't be too tough, right? How hard could it be?Creation Kit:

S & G was just accused of mucking up... tavern brawls?I don't know if I should laugh or cry. :headbang: :facepalm:

You mean tavern brawls that never materialized as an actual feature of the game? :POpen Cities was blamed once for making the "dynamic snow" feature stop working. Yeah. You mean the one we never had?Ignore them. They know not what they speak of.

S & G was just accused of mucking up... tavern brawls?

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. :headbang: :facepalm:

Ok, now I'm really confused, a mod that alters guardian and doom stones mucks up tavern brawls? Yeah ignore them.

I just saw guy make a post about how he's got NV, but he finds it a) too complicatedb) extremely boringand is asking for advice on whether he should trade it for Morrowind?And all these people immediately pipe in to tell him how much more he'll enjoy Morrowind. :facepalm: If NV is too hard and too slow paced for him, I can't really see how he's going to get any enjoyment out of Morrowind.

Yes, yes there is. Consistency.Also, Morrowind is 10x the game either of the Fallouts was.

It would certainly be a good start if Bethesda woke up tomorrow and said 'y'know what, lets make the next TES game more like Morrowind than the last couple.

Speaking of the Fallouts, I have just seen

, which is an awesome thing.In other news, I actually think F:NV actually improves on Morrowind in some ways, but since Samson refuses to play the game, he wouldn't know.

It's not hard to tell that there's no way New Vegas holds a candle to Morrowind.

Trust me here. You're blinded by some kind of odd Obsidian worship that the rest of us aren't suffering from :)They suck at making games. Not hard to figure out.

I'll note that all of us who have played NV disagree with that sentiment.To be fair, I've never played Morrowind, so I can't really compare it an NV. But from what I've gathered, Morrowind is generally slower, with a stronger and longer story with a much more stat based system - or in other words, more of an RPG than Skyrim or Oblivion.

Exactly' date=' which is why it kicks the crap out of NV any day.[/quote']Except it doesn't. Morrowind had exploration and stat-based gameplay down to the teeth (a little too much so for some, particularly the combat), while NV was what many of the dinosaurs (Fallout fans who played the old isometric games) consider to be much needed bridge between what Fallout 3 began and Fallout's previous glory as an RPG. Exploration-wise, it doesn't come close to any Bethesda game (and I would never expect it to, Bethesda has talent unlike any other dev when it comes to building worlds), the real value of the game lies in you making critical choices which have far-reaching consequences, which you get to see firsthand; something Bethesda has never managed to do, ever. Sure your actions have consequences in TES, but they are always presented in the form of generic NPC conversation in the next game, you never see it happen.To compare New Vegas to Morrowind is like comparing an apple to an orange. The ideas of what makes a good RPG for each game are completely different, one goes for freedom and exploration, the other goes for choices and consequences. Both ways work, and New Vegas proved that it is possible to make a fun choice-based RPG in today's gaming market. Morrowind doesn't "kick the crap out of" NV because it is not even aiming its foot at the game.If you are too blinded by your hatred of Obsidian to see that, that's your loss. I came into their games after NWN2 and KOTOR2 and I don't give a shit about whatever sins they might have committed in the past. They proved to me with NV that they understand what a proper choice-based RPG is supposed to be, and if Obsidian were to say they were going to make another Fallout, I'd applaud them. And as for the general bugginess... well, considering what games we all play, we are in no position to dismiss any game developer over buggy product. Just look at Skyrim, I don't see you giving it the same ire you do NV, and both were equally buggy on launch day.What's past is past. Move on.

But from what I've gathered' date=' Morrowind is generally slower, with a stronger and longer story with a much more stat based system - or in other words, more of an RPG than Skyrim or Oblivion. [/quote']I was actually thinking of Morrowind in comparison to Oblivion and Skyrim when I wrote this as well, since that's what I generally see it compared to.

If you are too blinded by your hatred of Obsidian to see that, that's your loss.
Nope, more like allowing their reputation I've experienced firsthand to influence my buying decisions. I was even willing to overlook their past until Bethesda ruined it all by attaching it to Steam. That was the actual straw which broke the camel's back. If you want to call it blindness to exercise my consumer rights, that's your problem.As far as bugs, yes, Skyrim is a fucking mess. Where have you been that you haven't seen me say so? The reason I don't make taglines in my sig about it and rant and rave on the forums all day about it is because instead of ignoring it like they did with Fallout 3 and ignoring it like they did with NV, they're actively doing something about it this time around, and that behavior deserves to be encouraged rather than shat on.People say things like learn from history. Judge someone on their reputation and character. Well, gee, sue me then if that's what I'm doing. Obsidian has one of the shitiest reputations in all of gaming and they don't deserve to be treated as anything other than the pariah they are.

Uh what? Obsidian hardly ignored NV's problems; in fact, their post release support was top notch. That's why the game has almost not issues. Moreover, it was Bethesda's decision (being the ones in control of QA) to release the game in that state anyway. Oh, and Sawyer offered an apology for the fact that the game had to be released in a half finished, buggy state. I don't see Bethesda offering apologies for, say, Skyrim being catastrophically bugged on the PS3. Moreover, Bethesda literally pretended that they had no idea what was causing those said issues, while Sawyer came out and said 'well, this is what's causing the issue, and this what it would take to fix it'. A little bit of honesty and willingness to communicate with the public goes a long way with game developers, and Bethesda really need to learn that.

So I'm about 95% with Thomas and prettyfly on this one. I think the comparison between Morrowind and F:NV is a little more direct than that, but not "Morrowind is 10x the game" sort of a deal. Certainly I've talked many a time about my having F:NV running without issue for 12 hours straight.That said...

Nope' date=' more like allowing their reputation I've experienced firsthand to influence my buying decisions. I was even willing to overlook their past until Bethesda ruined it all by attaching it to Steam. That was the actual straw which broke the camel's back. If you want to call it blindness to exercise my consumer rights, that's your problem.[/quote']Yeah, and it would be one thing if you were consistently all "Yeah, I didn't get F:NV because I don't like Steam." You're not going to get a lot of pushback on that around here, even from me.What you are going to get pushback on is when you talk shit about the game based on 0% firsthand knowledge and 100% ignorance (ie, trolling the rest of us), which is what you're doing here. You have a pattern of completely gratuitous insults towards F:NV that we've called you on plenty of times now, and we're well past "consumer rights" into "I blindly hate Obsidian" territory at this point. I mean, had you just said "10x better than Fallout 3" we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

@prettyfly: Yes, Bethesda needs to develop better communication habits. I think they're doing exactly that with Skyrim. Surely one can't possibly argue they've ignored anyone at this point.@Dwip: Not even trolling and you know it. I think you guys are just fanbois for Obsidian for some reason. When huge numbers of people think X sucks, and they can back it up, the rest of us don't need to waste our money finding out for ourselves. Yes, I despise Obsidian. Nothing they've done has been worth the plastic the game was written to. You want to ignore their reputation, that's fine by me, but don't sit there on your high horse pretending that your opinion matters more than mine.Also, Morrowind is easily 10x the game Fallout 3 was too. That doesn't even need to be said.