Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Yes' date=' and said announcement is indeed absent. Almost like they didn't want people finding out. As if it wouldn't be noticed immediately anyway. I know Bethesda is generally secretive, but they're being ridiculous about it this time.

The only thing I keep falling back to in some vain hope is that F:NV being steam-locked was Obsidian's decision and that hopefully Bethesda realizes most of us don't want the game being steam-locked.[/quote']Well, BIOWARE didn't lock Dragon Age, while Mount and Blade Warband (of the Epic Winness) was available over STeam, but not Steam locked.So there may be hope.I can't afford Skyrim these days, and I'm waiting to see if it is all that has been claimed. If it is I'll buy a seperate hard drive and do and second install of Windows 7, then I'll keep Skyrim as the only thing on this drive along with the OS if it needs Steam. Maybe get some government-level Firewall to ensure they don't talk to each other.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Setting up a firewall to keep it from communicating would get you banned from the service. Valve considers that an act of thievery. Sucks eh?

I guess you could go to the trouble, but what's the point?Also, would it do any good at this point to mention offline mode? No? Haters gotta hate? Ok then.

No, it wouldn't, because offline mode is a complete joke. Have you paid any attention at all to the sea of people who have said it doesn't actually STAY offline when put there?

Actually no, since I find the whole idea of offline mode to be essentially pointless for me. But it is there.But then, firewalling Steam seems a little pointless to me too, so, you know.

Setting up a firewall to keep it from communicating would get you banned from the service. Valve considers that an act of thievery. Sucks eh?
No, just a wall between the two drives, two copies of the OS, one drive just for Skyrim.I suppose I could physically swap the drives out instead.

Well, anyways, looking through a few screenshots (here), it does indeed look like Skyrim is going to be taking pretty good advantage of the volumetric cloud support Bethesda added in.That panorama actually reminds me a bit of Nehrim with all those steep, jagged peaks.

Indeed. Also, people keep saying Bethesda sent this. Look closely at the top of the pic of the legal notice. It came from Zenimax. Bethesda may not have known a thing about this.

Why are you going to the trouble' date=' though? That's a pretty expensive way to play.[/quote']You're right.I'll just stick with Oblivion.No, seriously, I need a new drive anyway.

It was really the multiple OS copies part that I'm not getting. Hard drives are awesome and everybody should have 10 for when they inevitably fail, damn things.

@Andalaybay: Swedish I think.@Dwip: Yes. I too have adopted the "you can't have too many spare drives" philosophy. Anyone who has followed my dealings with Western Digital knows of my pain and probably shares it too.

SSD's are too expensive still. I'd love to try one but not for $800 I won't.

Really? I admit I haven't even bothered looking yet. The poorly performing part in my windows performance rating is always the hard drives. Guess it thinks they're slow.

Price appears to have come down some since I last looked. An Intel 300GB SSD is selling for $550 on mwave.com. Still expensive, but getting there.

Well, if I had the cash to drop, I might. At least that's a for real legitimate CE.

Grr...it costs more in Australia despite the fact that the Australian Dollar is worth more than the US dollar (but the conversion rates for Aussie Dollar vs Pound work out just fine when you compare the prices, I guess everyone outside the US is getting charged extra :shrug:). No Bethesda, I will not be buying the CE.

You're 8,000 miles away across an unforgiving ocean. Of course it's going to cost more :PThey're not doing themselves any favors with a price tag this high. Some idiot actually suggested in one of the now numerous forum threads that the reason the price is so outrageously high is because the economy is in the shitter. What's worse is lots of people agreed, despite the assertion making absolutely no sense. Raising prices in a bad economy is counter-productive if you expect to sell stuff.

Well, I dunno.So, game by itself is $60, right? There's a frickin' 200 page coffee table book in there too, and those pretty much start at like $40. I dunno what gigantor PVC statuettes are running these days, but at least $20-30 doesn't seem unreasonable. Plus a bit for the DVD and map.It's not that the price is way out of line for the stuff they're actually putting in there, it's that they've forced you to ask yourself if a lump of PVC and a book are worth that too you.Me, I figure they went whole hog and decided to make a real, honest to Akatosh collector's edition like in the days of yore (the Oblivion one was...not so much really). I applaud them for the effort, but wonder how well it's going to do, all things considered.