• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dwip

• Hana

• Arthmoor

• Conner

Top Posters In This Topic

Region Revive: Lake Rumare.The problem with the rock method is that I'm pretty sure there's no real way that's actually going to look as good as actual landscaping.As to why next to the IC, it's the sort of thing you build next to the city. Also, there's not really a whole lot of good spots open on the ring road. Weye's taken, the initial demo spot is probably smack in the middle of where Samson's going to put Urasek, north end's too rocky, south end's too dense.Also yeah, I need a relatively flat area. I can work around hills, but only sort of.

The Red Ring Road does indeed have some nice flat places on the south and east sides of the road.

It did' date=' but the result was the opposite of the blank page bug. You ended up on the previous page at the top. It seems like such a simple bit of code too. Anyway, lets not stray down this road in Dwip's nice topic :)[/quote']How strange. Oh well, next time, eh?*nod* Agreed.
Well' date=' I doubt anyone would be "raiding" the Emporer's tomb. Maybe tour it...but...Anyway, when you make a building that's just supposed to be a space filler, you usually make it one that doesn't attract that much attention. A cell-sized temple looking thing, pretty much everyone is going to want to check out.[/quote']Perhaps. :shrug:That's not always true, it just works out that way in Oblivion because folks are so used to having the complete freedom of an entirely open game world where they can go almost anywhere and do almost anything.
So' date=' request for comment here. I've plotted three different spots on the Imperial Isle where this enormous monstrosity could possibly go.[...']Anybody have any preferences?
I like the third one (the lake) the best I like the first one second best but the mausoleum looks a little like it was placed there rather than built there to me. The second one just doesn't quite feel right to me. :shrug:
Edit: LOL' date=' well I certainly seem to be the odd one out today.[/quote']You and me both, though for differing opinions. Maybe mine's wrong since I hadn't really thought about it floating on the water, I was assuming it'd have a small island it sat upon that at least had enough room to walk around the outside of the building. :shrug:
He has to have an area that's flat enough for far enough to place it.
That's pretty reasonable' date=' but I can't imagine that flat areas big enough for a single (albeit big) building are that rare...
The Red Ring Road does indeed have some nice flat places on the south and east sides of the road.
Ok, y'all know the geography of this game world just WAY too well. :lol:

complete freedom of an entirely open game world where they can go almost anywhere and do almost anything.
True. It's actually one of the things that turned me off of dragon age.

I'm curious as to where you're thinking. I guess there's that stretch south of Weye, but that's not really all that flat. North of Weye you run into VHB, and south of the lake is pretty full everywhere I can think of.

complete freedom of an entirely open game world where they can go almost anywhere and do almost anything.
True. It's actually one of the things that turned me off of dragon age.
Haven't played DA yet myself' date=' but I'd been looking forward to eventually getting the chance because of Samson's review of it. But Fallout 3 basically had that aspect to it too and that's been a pretty fun game as long as you avoid completing the main quest. :shrug:
I'm curious as to where you're thinking. I guess there's that stretch south of Weye' date=' but that's not really all that flat. North of Weye you run into VHB, and south of the lake is pretty full everywhere I can think of.[/quote']You're asking Samson or Hana this, yes? :huh:

You should see most of the Gothic series. Lots of doors you can't open, in a fe cases entire city blocks. Same with Witcher. Still good games but you start to notice stuff like doors you can't open, walls you can't climb over, even bushes that become hard barriers, when you're used to playing open ended stuff like Morrowind and Oblivion.Witcher and Gothic made up for it though by not being dunces about how the environment worked. Like no rain indoors, interiors that are part of the main worldspace, etc.@Dwip: Maybe here? I'm going to scrap plans for building a village there. I've tried several quick drops of buildings there and came to the conclusion the location is just too bland for it and I don't feel like messing with it. If you stick close to the road on the SE side you should be ok as far as hitting other stuff, with the only exception being Milewood but hardly anyone is using that.

So against my better judgement, how about 15,12 (and probably 16,12 as well)? That's mid-way between Memorial Cave and Fort Magia/Wellspring Cave, so there's a certain amount of significance to the choice.

That's pretty much the spot I was thinking. I was just too lazy to go in game and look for it. :)I think anywhere along that stretch of road is fairly flat enough.

15,12 looks ok to me, and I don't know of anything it would interfere with. I'd say you have a winner.

Ah, in that case, I think I have a decent idea where that is in-game too then. That looks very close to where I met the chick I'd gotten that uber-cool sword and armor from... the ones that were so cool some god wanted them later on... :devil:

And just for documentation, here's the progress of the interior WIP:AFKMausoleumInteriorWIP.jpgThe big boxes are the outer bounds of where I can have the interior walls. Small boxes inside will one day be rooms. If you're curious about scale, that little pink blob in the upper middle is the lower half of a guy, and those doors are Imperial City gates.In other news, let's hear it for coordinate math, because that's pretty much how all of this is getting built, 1.8 rise over 2 run and 25.6 by 25.6 by 32 cube at a time.

And another interior WIP shot, this time of the wall mockup for the upper and middle chambers. This actually took a while, since I had to figure out column arrangement and wall proportions and such things.AFKMausoleumInteriorWallMockup.jpgThat's two 128x640 Oblivion unit chunks, which as you can see is about the width of a guy plus a bit. That archway there in the middle will hold a half-sized statue of some sort. I may end up doing a couple of variations on the theme as well.A couple of notes on creating and UVing that arch border, while I'm here:1. Figure out some circle radii, and add enough circles. In this case, I used 16 segment circles at 3.2, 3.4, 3.8, and 4.0 radius. The 3.4 and 3.8 circles got moved 0.2 units out to form a bulge. Need to make sure the center of the circle is at 0,0,0.2. The straight segments are pretty easy from there.3. UV the straight parts pretty much like normal. There are a couple of coordinate tricks I will likely elaborate on later. Make sure that every UV section you do is a rectangle, not a trapezoid like it will want to do.4. Delete the whole arch part of the circle except one segment. Know what the angle is between segments (360 / segments).5. UV that segment. Project from view (Bounds) is as always FTW.6. Copy and rotate arch segments until you're done.7. Remember to remove doubles. Then use handy coordinate math to move things into position.Which leads me to my next thought, which is that I'm kind of assuming that somewhere in here I'll be told I should do a tutorial on how I went about a lot of this. With that in mind, a few things I keep telling myself I should cover:- Planning.- Coordinate math for fun and profit.- Importing that little pink dude there.- Importing and chopping up Bethesda meshes.- Complex geometry like arches.- Recentering.- Annoying UV mapping for not a lot of fun but hopefully profit.- Segmentizing things for great joy.

Wow. :stare: <--- me gawking at awesome texture choices. Did you make those?A tutorial would be great, but probably not something you'll see me attempt. Math and I are like this: :crazy:Seriously, that is VERY impressive. Nice work.

The math is actually pretty simple, mostly addition and subtraction of decimals, which you can do with any halfway decent calculator (or an Excel spreadsheet, for that matter) and some scratch paper.Textures aren't mine, they're all stock Bethesda stuff, as is that entire column. Go check out the Imperial Palace Library cells for a bunch of epic architecture almost nobody will ever see more than once or twice. I'm just reusing them, because if not here, where?Speaking of which, I need to come up with some sort of replacement for textures/architecture/imperialcity/icinterior/ICPalaceFloor01.dds that works on square floors. Specifically need the red/purple marble part of that. If anybody knows of anything anywhere that might work, that would help a lot.

Wow. :stare: <--- me gawking at awesome texture choices. Did you make those?[...]Seriously' date=' that is VERY impressive. Nice work.[/quote']Dwip, she's giving you a compliment here, and she asked if you made the texture choices, responding with a "yup, I made those choices, here's where you can find the textures themselves though:..." might've worked. (i.e., it's okay to take credit for good decisions too. ;))
Thats pretty incrediable Dwip...I see why they label you a blender god.
Yup, when it comes to blender, he's the undisputed champ around here.

Actually, I was meaning did he actually make the textures himself, not just the choice. :)I'd have never thought to look in the library for anything useful. Like you said, been there maybe once or twice, so good call. Re; the floor texture ... you want just the marble floor tileable without the gold thingies in the way? Or did you want them moved and aligned so the tile is tileable?

@Conner - I like praise as much as the next guy, but of this whole wall project, the only part that took any kind of skill was the arch trim. Most of the rest is just flat planes anybody could do in 20 minutes or so. So, you know.@Hanaisse - I mostly want the tileable marble floor. Doesn't need to be that particular texture, but something like it. Also thinking it would be nice to have something 1024x1024 so I could break it up into four different chunks for a bit of variety. Not really sure, and just kind of tossing ideas around for the moment.

@Hana: You may have meant it the way he took it, but you worded it the way I offered him. ;)@Dwip: Oh well, I tried on your behalf. :shrug:Either way, Dwip, it really is coming along as nicely as the initial post made it look like it would. We're all very impressed, as usual, with your talents. :)