Starfield

Arthmoor

A new Starfield Q&A with Todd Howard  (the interview starts at the six minute mark).

• Like 2

just watched it, more I see the more I know I'm going to live a lot in this universe.

3 hours ago, Uncus said:

just watched it, more I see the more I know I'm going to live a lot in this universe.

Feel exactly the same - Etienne is already preparing to make a multiverse jump into this new universe!

I was just taking a look at the Steam Starfield forum - what a total mess that place is right now :fire: - and probably will continue to be for some while once the game releases. :facepalm:

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted in the Steam Starfield forum:
Helpful Links and References

If anyone has links to topics specifically related to Starfield and which are pertinent as far as Starfield is concerned, please feel free to post in that thread.

I contacted Bethesda about getting the topic pinned, will wait and see what their reply is and if further correspondence is necessary.

The Coffee Pod has now been launched into orbit!

"The Coffee Pod
A fully licensed franchise of Ilja's Forum Works Ltd. (all rights reserved)

Pod: a detachable or self-contained unit on an aircraft, spacecraft, vehicle, or vessel, having a particular function

If you're new to Starfield, or just having problems, and not sure where to begin ... Just ask. All are welcome! If you can deal with cramped quarters and a vacuum beyond yonder bulkhead, then you are in the right place.

This is just a place to hang, chat, ask questions, and get abused by forum regulars. Feel free to drop by ... We might not have all the answers, but we probably already know the people that do or who are working on it, and we will be happy to help.

Bashing, spamming, self promoting, advertising, and trolling will simply provide us with target practice and make you look really lame. Please leave politics and religion at the door as well.

Personal attacks against forum guests based on country, race, ethnicity, lifestyle preferences, and planet, system, or galaxy of origin will not be tolerated in any way ... Period, and we will be enforcing the moderators rules around here ... Period.

Keep it clean (mostly); while the game is listed as mature, a lot of the people aren't.
Keep it civil (always); arguing a little is fine, just keep it friendly.

Move over and make space - the airlock is cycling."

Just made what is the first morning post (or perhaps I should say podcast) in The Coffee Pod, and reading it will give you a general idea of the direction that I am aiming for in that thread (provided that the HAL 9001 AI cooperates!).  For those interested in paying it a visit, it can be found here.  

Edited by smr1957

Just a heads up for those visiting Steam's Starfield forum.  The mods there are extremely active, and even a little over-the-top, and very inconsistent as to how they apply the rules - often applying them in what would seem an arbitrary and capricious manner.  A number of people have received unmerited warnings, and in at least one case I was made aware of, an unwarranted ban for a post which definitely did not warrant one.  I myself received a warning for spamming - because in my thread I marked the first 3 posts as "reserved" (intending to go back to them to enter information about the thread and the forum) despite this being a typical and accepted thing when starting a Steam forum thread, so as to avoid constantly bumping it or having important information getting lost in the chatter.  And then later the same day received a warning for bumping that same thread, for making a comment in response to another's post - but since I did not quote the post, it was considered a bump.

So, just be aware to be extra careful when posting in Steam's Starfield forum that you think about what you are posting before actually doing so.

Edited by smr1957

Are those Valve moderators or BGS moderators running the forum?

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Are those Valve moderators or BGS moderators running the forum?

I'm pretty sure they are Valve moderators - BGS pulled out of moderating their game forums quite some time ago - but I can't be 100% sure.  Anyway, it would seem that how they apply the forum rules is very inconsistent, to say the least..

That's why I asked. Valve moderators are not consistent in their enforcement.

Moderators everywhere are human.  They develop both favorites and ... for lack of a better word ... despised.  They will ignore bad behavior from the people they like, and will look for reasons to publicly ridicule/chastise and ban the folks they don't like.  This is known commonly as "playing favorites" and is what gives the rules an arbitrary and capricious appearance. 

What is worse, in "closed systems" like Steam/Valve (and NexusMods, AFKmods, TES Alliance, ModDB, LL, et al), when a moderator takes a dislike towards someone, there is no appeal, no compassion, and no respite other than invoking the benevolent auspices of ones favorite deity.

Edited by Scythe Bearer
  • Like 2

That is true to a certain degree, Scythe, especially on developer moderated forums.  However, Valve rotates its moderators from forum to forum (from what I have been able to determine - it seems like every three to six months or so - but don't quote me on that), and Steam support is actually pretty helpful when it comes to overturning unwarranted warning or bans (though there, it also helps if the Support Team knows the individual to some degree and what their reputation in a given forum is).  I think one thing with the Starfield forum is the fact that no one knows anyone really yet - certainly not the moderators - and Steam Support is reluctant to overturn the mods' decisions as the forum is still pretty much unsettled. That said, it does seem as if the moderators there are not exactly the most experienced. 

Edited by smr1957

2 hours ago, Scythe Bearer said:

Moderators everywhere are human.  They develop both favorites and ... for lack of a better word ... despised.  They will ignore bad behavior from the people they like, and will look for reasons to publicly ridicule/chastise and ban the folks they don't like.  This is known commonly as "playing favorites" and is what gives the rules an arbitrary and capricious appearance. 

What is worse, in "closed systems" like Steam/Valve (and NexusMods, AFKmods, TES Alliance, ModDB, LL, et al), when a moderator takes a dislike towards someone, there is no appeal, no compassion, and no respite other than invoking the benevolent auspices of ones favorite deity.

which is why there should always be an appeal system, and moderators should also be responsible for their actions if they in the appeal process are shown to miss use their power.

56 minutes ago, Hana said:

Haven't actually been keeping up on this thread, but do people know about this? Tossing together an Unofficial Patch?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/community-patch

https://www.starfieldpatch.dev/

Thanks, Hana - there was a little very informal discussion regarding it in one of the regular threads in Steam's SSE forum, but I'll leave it to someone more eminently qualified to comment on it if they should choose to do so.

Edited by smr1957

7 hours ago, Hana said:

Haven't actually been keeping up on this thread, but do people know about this? Tossing together an Unofficial Patch?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/community-patch

https://www.starfieldpatch.dev/

I see this as little more the someone attempting to capitalize on the fame (notoriety?) of the AFKMods unofficial patch project in their efforts to create a patch of their own.  A patch which they like better than Arthmoor's. 

I also see this as a thinly veiled attempt to preempt the AFKMods Unofficial patch team and get their patch on the landscape first.  The "I was here first" childhood mentality. 

Finally, given the contentious nature of  patches (unofficial or otherwise) and the people involved, their open solicitation to "the modding community", and their nonexistent coordinating efforts, I see this endeavor fraught with bad portents.  The infighting over which "my script is better" patch will prevail will be their downfall, is suspect.   

But alas, I am just one old mod author who actually knows the truth behind "war never changes".  I wish them luck.  Arthmoor et al, you guys rock.  🤟🏽

EDIT ...

A little sleuthing, and I have discovered a couple interesting tidbits:

This "project" is more than a year in the making, and was initiated (or at least claimed to have been initiated) by one u/aixsama, the chief moderator for r/starfieldmods.  See the thread Best License for the Starfield Community Patch in that reddit.  In this thread, there is a link to a Nexus thread which I am unable to access (I assume it is tucked away in the MA forums someplace, out of public view): https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/11289128-community-patch-license-discussion/.  So I am assuming that one of Nexus' blessed Mod Authors can view that thread.  for more useful information. 

And, FYI, the website itself is rated "CAUTION": Websites rated "Caution" may have a small number of threats and annoyances, but are not considered dangerous enough to warrant a red "Warning". Proceed with caution.

Edited by Scythe Bearer

Thanks Scythe for the kind words of our results. What people seem to forget - or just don't want to admit - is we have always been a community effort (hello bug tracker), have always been publically open and transparent and it is a TEAM effort.

I'm not saying we have a lock on all unofficial patches for BGS games. Far from it. Good luck to them jumping out the gate with no modding tools. But it will, guaranteed, fragment the community even moreso than it already is.

(btw, I'm an MA at nexus and even I can't get to that link, could just be incorrect)

Well, I didn't want to get into all of that - but Scythe got a lot of it right - or close to it.  There is a lot of - well, you fill in the blanks - about that project - and it really seems that in many ways, they don't have a clue about what they are doing or even how to go about it.  And, I think all of us know how a certain very small (but very vocal) portion of the community feel about USSEP, the Patch team, and about Arthmoor in particular - and have for quite a long time.  And some of them feel this is their chance to take control over all things Starfield - and make it seem, outwardly at least, to be semi-official.

And as to their intense dislike of Arthmoor, which has been apparent to anyone who is active to any extent in the community, well, it would seem that the more a person does, and the more active they are in helping, the more hatred - and there is no other word for it - they get from those who do not do anything or contribute significantly.  In my position in the Steam Skyrim forums, over the last few years I've started encountering something like that - I cannot even begin to imagine how much more Arthmoor experiences.

But some are more interested in pursuing their own goals for their own selfish reasons, and though they may talk about the community, and helping the community, they are really, at heart, only interested in helping themselves to the detriment of all.

And now I've run on way too much at the mouth - a major failing of mine, if I do say so myself - and I'll now shut up and let others talk.

And let me second what Scythe said about the Unofficial Patch team, Arthmoor, and all here at AFK - you all do a great job - and have been doing so for years.  And regardless of what a few nit-wits may say, it is all very much appreciated in the community - at least from my view of it from the Steam Skyrim forums.  So a big hand for all of you! :clap::banana::beer:

So much for my shutting up! :D

Edited by smr1957
  • Like 1

Yes, suffice it to say, it's been noticed. It's being run by two of the most toxic people in the community, one of whom has openly supported piracy on reddit and is now working on the Nexus payroll. The other who participated in running his rival out of the community with false accusations of racism.

These people are NOT the kind of folk who should be nominally in charge of a project of this magnitude. I don't think most people realize the depths to which the two people I'm referring to have targeted me, our project members, and the project itself over the last 10 years (yes, it's been that long and more). They spread false information about our goals and openly pass on false information about things the patches for the 4 games we have under our umbrella do.

While our team has not yet discussed or decided how to approach Starfield, I'm sure it will come up sooner or later. Just bear in mind that should we decide to proceed with something, it will as normal get released here. Chances are extremely low Nexus would allow us to upload there because Darkone has openly stated in their Starfield server that he'll reject any such attempt.

Their entire project was born out of malice and ill intent, and I do not believe it will survive as a result of that. What it will do is catastrophically split the community in the same way the patching efforts for Fallout 3 and New Vegas did with those communities. Or worse, it could devolve into the mess that patching Morrowind was, with dozens of rival groups at each others throats over stupid minutia.

I do not think most people realize just how deep this all runs.

Also, for the record, Scythe, that Nexus thread you linked has been deleted.

One other big problem if memory serves, they're going to try and push this through as a GPL3 licensed project, without having the first clue about what the legal ramifications of that are. The short version is that all GPL derived licenses permit you to sell your project for profit, while having clauses that forbid additional restrictions from other licenses that might co-mingle with it. Which would put it in conflict with the CK EULA and its non-commercial clauses.

Hi, Arthmoor!  And besides what you state, it's amazing how much bad information is floating around already - even amongst those people who usually are reliable - not to mention that they then mention the speculation and put their own interpretation on top of it - a situation I've already encountered in some private talks with a couple of people.  So far, at least as far as the general community goes, it is still pretty much under the radar - but it would seem to be a case of first in, first noticed, and that is what certain individuals are attempting to do with the patch, in spite of there already being an existing organization with all the necessary structure needed to handle things already in place - and there are people in the background who are already fence sitting and trying to ensure that they do not say anything one way or another - all in the name of wanting to give the appearance of being "impartial"  (which, I think some truly believe that are - regardless of what the facts of the actual matter may be).

Edited by smr1957

Anyway, I'd just woken up after a nap, and had decided to make mention in The Coffee Pod of talk of a potential patch and that there already is some controversy about it, when I decided to check back here.  Personally, as far as I am concerned, it is still premature to talk about a patch, when the game hasn't even been released yet, but some people are already going on about things, and you just know that all the usual bias will be brought up by all the usual bad actors.  Anyway, I made a small post in my Starfield coffee pod thread without saying much of anything - put it serves as an opening if someone having more knowledge and more accurate information - such as you - wishes to post there about the situation.

Chances are extremely low Nexus would allow us to upload there because Darkone has openly stated in their Starfield server that he'll reject any such attempt.

Hey, that's pretty unfriendly, even if it was intended as some kind of joke.

What's wrong with a Community Patch and an Unofficial Patch running in tandem anyway, as one is eventually bound to end up the same way as SMPC. :P