Wrye Bash - All Games

Utumno

Is this now the official Wrye Bash forum for questions, comments, suggestions, etc.? Is there a separate developer forum? I've been exclusively using WB for 6 months now and love it. I view it as the best way to automate manual installs. :)

I think this answer your question.

5 hours ago, Utumno said:

Still I don't have time to monitor two threads - so keep an eye on the beth one

@warmfrost85 All of the nexus pages for Oblivion Wrye Bash and Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE, have links in the description which link back to the Official development topic ..

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/38798/relz-wrye-bash-oblivion-skyrim-skyrim-se-fallout-4

.. But until Bethesda sort out the naff forum software which is bethesda.net, people are having too many issues posting (for example if anyone needs a code box and spoilers they dont work too well over there, and combinations of using those site tools within a post have random problems, preventing people successfully getting accurate details across for development purposes / reporting problems).

So I think Utumno is making this topic a sort of secondary official topic until such time as bethesda's glacial site development gets to a better place we can all use without pulling hair out.

I've a few things left to do before I can start a new game.

After I converted a few SLE mods to SSE I was just about to rebuild the Bashed Patch then I realized that all 2 of 3 mods I recently converted, only for personal use since I haven't obtained permission from the original MA, they were all mergeable in SLE.

So I started to read the WB readme and could not find one single line of text there the Mergeable command was explained in detail (what WB does).

The section for the "Mergeable..." command (after an esp is made mergeable the color will be green) belongs to the "Useful Context Menu Commands" (Plugin Context Menu) section in the WB readme file.

My question is;  Why mention the symbol for a mergeable esp and not having a simple explaination about what WB does when making an esp mergeable in WB?

Who are using the Mergeable command, I assume mostly modders and perhaps advanced WB users?

10 hours ago, Leonardo said:

The section for the "Mergeable..." command (after an esp is made mergeable the color will be green) belongs to the "Useful Context Menu Commands" (Plugin Context Menu) section in the WB readme file.

My question is;  Why mention the symbol for a mergeable esp and not having a simple explaination about what WB does when making an esp mergeable in WB?

Who are using the Mergeable command, I assume mostly modders and perhaps advanced WB users?

Mergeable is not a 'command', its a description of what is possible with some plugins (depending upon the patchers capabilities per game), and a function of rebuilding the bashed patch.

I think you mean this section http://wrye-bash.github.io/docs/Wrye Bash Advanced Readme.html#mods-commands

And I also think you are referring to the description of ..

Mark Mergeable ... : "Scans the selected plugin(s) to determine if they are mergeable or not. Wrye Bash does this automatically, but this command reports why mods are unmergeable."

Mark Mergeable (CBash)... : "Oblivion only. Does the same thing as Mark Mergeable..., but uses CBash to scan the plugins. A Bashed Patch built using CBash can merge more plugins, so the results between the two Mark Mergeable commands will differ."

Wrye Bash is (variably) capable of fully merging some plugins into the Bashed Patch (For Oblivion as noted above CBash is capable of merging even more plugins than the python patchers are capable of, but until we get a C programmer on the team its not likely to be updated to the other games), depending on whether you tick them to actually be merged into the bashed patch in the 'Merge Patches' section of the Rebuild Patch Dialogue.

Note in the quote above for Mark Mergeable CBash it says "A Bashed Patch built using CBash can merge more plugins" so its obviously part of the rebuilding a bashed patch, and the section of the readmes you need to read to understand that is here ..

http://wrye-bash.github.io/docs/Wrye Bash General Readme.html#patch-merging

I think my job around here is turning into point at the readme man for non native speakers :P (Joking Leo, I actually admire people trying to follow documentation in someone elses language, it must be pretty confusing sometimes with such a complex thing as Wrye Bash is - Case in point ; Utumno = genius imho).

I stand corrected, you're right it is the "Mark Mergeable".

However, the Plugin Context Menu, just below the Column Header Context Menu, is what a reader will get when clicking on the 4:e link in the 4. Mods Tab section and the Plugin Context Menu doesn't show up so the user will need to scroll down to find it.

Could a 4:f link be added into 4. Mods Tab section and that could take a reader to the Plugin Context Menu instead as it is now?  I think that will reduce confusing for both advanced users, users who haven't used WB for a long time, and beginners.

I'll leave this to Utumno, but personally I dont see what the problem is with the link at the start of the documentation :

4e. Context Menu Commands (this does not say Plugins Context menu, its a group title for all of them and links the start of them all)

links you to the "Context Menu Commands" section, where the context menus ..

Column Header Context Menu

and

Plugin Context Menu

and

Mod's Masters List Column Header Context Menu

and

Mod's Masters List Items Context Menu

.. for the mods tab - are detailled there. They are all relevant to the Mods tab, so are grouped appropriately :shrug:. To follow your idea we would need three extra links not just one, to individually link the other context menus for the mods tab aswell.

The links only go to a place in the documentation where there is a title to link to, so to directly link each individual context menus, you would need extra titles for each context menu = Why bother when people wanting Context menus just go to the one link at the start of them all .. Kind of unnecessary extra links in the main "menu".

Same applies for all the different "What symbols and Colours mean", there are a few of them grouped together for each tabs different colours descriptions .. Why link to each individual one creating an unnecessarily bigger menu when you can just link the group section where they all are?

The way it is laid out now is logical and not confusing at all imho. Wrinklyninja did a pretty good job of overhauling the documentation splitting it up into General, Advanced, Technical and Version history readmes, and individually made the flow of links within each of them a good progression of reading.

Edit : Maybe your browser cache remembered where you last were and took you to the second context menu instead of the first where you thought it would go ?

The link goes where it is expected to for 4e

Also note reference your request in the bethesda.net topic - Utumno cannot tell your browser where it goes in accordance with your browser settings for that site and whether it will go directly on page to a link or open it in a new tab. The site (and your browser) have defaults the person making page links cannot control. You make a link typically with the old bbcode with [ url = web address ] link title [ / url ], or using the site tools to do the same.

You could just right click a link and choose "Open in new tab" yourself.

Fair enough.  Still, I think a link to the Plugin Context Menu section would be convenient for most users.  As for having links to the colors is something people often learn when it's time to find information about what a color means.

Thanks guys - everyone needs some praise :P

Btw the int() crash was due to a missing bashed patch (in SLE as opposed to your other install leonardo), nothing to do with installer that now functions perfectly well thanks to @fireundubh- bash tried to create it but due to a change in the code failed and crashed on its face - this has happened before and I patched it for good this time - still we must make sure that when Bash crashes on boot for whatever reason it displays a nice message instead of crashing silently - not trivial, https://github.com/wrye-bash/wrye-bash/issues/373

anyway @alt3rn1ty I trust you enough to make changes to the readme I will review anyway - but given you have the most contact with the user base and being around since forever (not to mention your pictorial guide) I hereby bestow you the title of Knight Readme. Kill those readme bugs

Well yes the official forum stays beth, but given it sucks feel free to use this (will probably link from readme and descriptions) - development forum ? Those ones (beth and here) plus if interested in contributing github - currently discussing the beta in https://github.com/wrye-bash/wrye-bash/issues/260

That's not a forum however so post there only technical stuff if interested in contributing

Keep in mind I really have not time to go through the posts in detail (just skimmed through previous ones) so best if something need be brought to my attention and hasn't - post in the beth one (which is slow to fill up) or as last resort PM me there

Just FYI, not that there should have been any concern, but the most current WIP is working flawlessly on the GoG version of Oblivion so far. And yes, the OBSE guys are on top of things. There's a GoG loader for it on their site already.

On 01/06/2017 at 0:24 AM, Arthmoor said:

Just FYI, not that there should have been any concern, but the most current WIP is working flawlessly on the GoG version of Oblivion so far. And yes, the OBSE guys are on top of things. There's a GoG loader for it on their site already.

+1 Concur, using latest nightly build of the 307 WB WIP Standalone Installer

I have steam Skyrim SE, Fallout 4, and now GOG Oblivion installed again.

The former two are on my D: drive in steam setup, the latter on my E: drive. I let Wrye Bash installer do an overwrite install of the already installed SSE and FO4 Wrye Bash to see if it added a third Install setup path for Oblivion. Tested also an uninstall and re-install for all three = Not a problem

Installed all Unofficial patches via BAIN (unchecked the UOP Vampire fix because one of the Wrye Bash Rebuild Patch tweaks does the same job), Launched TES4Edit from WB tool bar and cleaned all masters, made a cleaned masters BAIN to include originals and cleaned, set Installers Tab to not skip Bethsoft files and install-overwrote the cleaned masters. Launched TES4Lodgen from WB Tool bar just to add the finishing touches, then rebuilt the Bashed Patch with the Vampire fix and a random selection of additional tweak extras ..

.. Nothing to complain about at the moment using Wrye Bash now to manage all three games ( and oh its nice to see all those patchers working for Oblivion, even if I am not really going to play the Oblivion game :), first time also I have ever seen the game running on Ultra settings, last time I had it was on my much older AMD Athlon laptop )

I've only got one minor problem at this point that I think is caused by having kept the old Bash settings files instead of wiping them out. A few mod archives insist files are missing, but they're only missing because the installer simply didn't install them for some reason and it refuses to let go of that. Obviously I don't want to wipe out those settings now, so is there some means to get Bash to realize that it needs to install those files or am I going to have to force its hand by unpacking them manually?

If you have only tried anneal .. I think right click and choose Install should force overwrite (not only of the files but also wrye bash records of the installation) - Or ..

Have you tried the 307 WB WIP Standalone link in the second post (its not just standalone that is at that link, there is the Installer plus Python source plus Standalone loose) - This is a bit more up to date than Utumno's dev, and it sounds like it may be related to some issues recently fixed in the last couple of versions of the standalone 'nightly builds' ..

If none of the above helps this needs Utumno, or the drastic measures you suspect (I purge settings files periodically after trying so many betas, things get lost along the way sometimes and need a good shakedown).

I tried both, Bash insists the files are still missing. Thing is, it's pretty specific - only missing like 3 or 4 files from each mod and there's nothing down the list to account for it like you'd expect.

I was using the last dev build that was available. I was not aware that standalones are being built ahead of those now instead of behind like they used to be. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I don't want to purge settings if I don't absolutely have to. Call me paranoid, but the prospects of it losing track of everything I just did don't sound appealing.

@Utumno The HUD Status bars issue is no longer an issue with the latest

1. It installs fine for an Oblivion setup

2. If used in Skyrim SE Wrye Bash it still generates an unrecognised plugin error, but uninstalls correctly

HUD Status Bars.esp: Unexpected subrecord: 'TES4.\x0c\x00\x00\x00'
Error loading 'TES4' record and/or subrecord: 00000000
  eid = u'<<NO EID>>'
  subrecord = '\x0c\x00\x00\x00'
  subrecord size = 16256
  file pos = 30
HUD Status Bars.esp: Unexpected subrecord: 'TES4.\x0c\x00\x00\x00'
Error loading 'TES4' record and/or subrecord: 00000000
  eid = u'<<NO EID>>'
  subrecord = '\x0c\x00\x00\x00'
  subrecord size = 16256
  file pos = 30

18 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I tried both, Bash insists the files are still missing. Thing is, it's pretty specific - only missing like 3 or 4 files from each mod and there's nothing down the list to account for it like you'd expect.

I was using the last dev build that was available. I was not aware that standalones are being built ahead of those now instead of behind like they used to be. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I don't want to purge settings if I don't absolutely have to. Call me paranoid, but the prospects of it losing track of everything I just did don't sound appealing.

Interesting (btw the most up to date code is the utumno-wip, then the one in the second post that sometimes coincides with utumno-wip then dev - that has always been the case, the logic is that I keep hacking on utumno wip (on top of dev) then at some point I wipe out a "nightly" from utumno-wip (those files in second post with timestamps) then I go on hacking on utumno-wip). Please use latest utumno-wip since you are on python.

Now that's a serious issue - please post me screenshots and the installers and the names of the files. Can it be a case sensitivity issue ? Are those files inside the Data folder with another case ? Are bsas among them ? Post each and every detail please time to squash those (plus post me your bugdump)

EDIT: you certainly do not want to purge your settings - and I certainly want to know if you are using dev or latest utumno-wip cause there are BAIN fixes in there (I repeat dev is the stable branch and utumno-wip sits on top of it, and may contain fixes for dev - or new bugs)

EDIT2: it's great you have Oblivion too @alt3rn1ty  - that's the most complete Bash version and I am glad one of my best testers can test that too

I'll have a go at trying that again today.

Meanwhile, are we still in a position where we need to use Wrye Flash for the 2 Fallout games at the moment? Would be nice to kick those on and at least have the mods and installers tabs available.

22 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Meanwhile, are we still in a position where we need to use Wrye Flash for the 2 Fallout games at the moment? Would be nice to kick those on and at least have the mods and installers tabs available.

Errors of this kind is what I don't want to have in 307 - sometimes some mods some files - but I need all the info you can give me

I intend to merge the fallout 3 nv branch in yes - but needs some work - not sure I can pull this out for 307 - except if help comes

16 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Arthmoor, the WIP builds work fine for FO3 and FO4, tabs and all.

Odd, because the wip build I grabbed when I posted that isn't recognizing that they're even installed.

Maybe an installer thing. I probably used the original Wrye Flash installer, and now just replace the Mopy folder with the current WIP.

@Utumno - Sweatloaf from the Beth boards here - regarding documentation, I've finished a draft of the "Monitor External Installation" how-to doc in HTML format.

It doesn't have any graphics/screenshots yet because it needs a good peer-review or proof read before I proceed with that step. It may not even need any images to be useful.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8gJeDB67uPfcjZObVdQaUFQZ0U

If you (or anyone that wants to help) find any incorrect information or other regular old derpy human errors, please let me know.

1 hour ago, Beermotor said:

@Utumno - Sweatloaf from the Beth boards here - regarding documentation, I've finished a draft of the "Monitor External Installation" how-to doc in HTML format.

It doesn't have any graphics/screenshots yet because it needs a good peer-review or proof read before I proceed with that step. It may not even need any images to be useful.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8gJeDB67uPfcjZObVdQaUFQZ0U

If you (or anyone that wants to help) find any incorrect information or other regular old derpy human errors, please let me know.

Thanks - good job - I will leave this to Knight Readme aka @alt3rn1ty (do you think we need images ?) - the idea is to integrate this into the (advanced) readme.

EDIT: re fallout3/fnv - they are not supported - fallout 4 is of course supported. I hope I will get round to this but I do need helping hands. Strange it works for you Supierce

I had a brief look at it, saw all the truetype font inclusion at the start, and immediately distrusted it (I think malware injection via truetype fonts code (via scripted flaws in all that gobbledegook) was fixed in windows ages ago, I still dont trust it though).

So at the moment I will not be downloading it to load in my browser.

Does it need all of that ?. Its not usual for the Wrye Bash readme's.

We do already have an entry in the Advanced ReadMe, Installers Tab, Context Menu Commands

Maybe that bit just needs a bit of fleshing out (it seems adequate to me as it is) ? ..

http://wrye-bash.github.io/docs/Wrye Bash Advanced Readme.html#bain-commands

Monitor External Installation...

"When you absolutely cannot install a mod via BAIN, you can put BAIN into Monitor Mode using this command. It will scan the Data folder before and after you install the mod, then provide an option to create a Project from the changes it detects."

When editing with notepad++ mopy \ docs \ Wrye Bash Advanced Readme.html - Line 402

<tr><td colspan="2" id="bainMonitorExternalInstallation">Monitor External Installation...<td>When you absolutely cannot install a mod via BAIN, you can put BAIN into Monitor Mode using this command.  It will scan the Data folder before and after you install the mod, then provide an option to create a Project from the changes it detects.

Edit : PS "Knight readme" = Just Alt3rn1ty will do fine thanks.

Haha alright - Alt3rn1ty then it is - it doesn't hurt to have a separate section with detailed info methinks. Doesn't need all the html stuff as it's already in the readme - the best way to submit readme patches @Beermotor is to edit the readme from latest utumno-wip version on github and just link me to that - I can then diff it to see what's changed - could you do that (belongs in the advanced readme > Installers Tab)