Windows 10

alt3rn1ty

Vulkan is definitely going to scare the crap out of them because it will break dependency on DirectX, and for a lot of people (myself included) the only reason we're thinking about Windows 10 at all is for DX12 support. If what I've heard is true, AMD already has full support from most game developers out there so if they can get the thing launched and distributed quickly enough they can eat into W10 migration hardcore.

Some games are already beginning to support vulkan, like The Talos Principle. CroTeam has made a great engine with many options and features built in which are awesome, particularly people with motion sickness issues. Supporting vulkan is just icing on the cake here,and I'm also glad to see nvidia has released drivers with support too. While it really is just OpenGL again, hopefully it gets wider industry backing since developers are also not exactly happy with the direction Windows and Microsoft are going.

@alt3rn1ty

The easiest way I know to make Windows 7 never update automatically in to Windows 10.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

Yep thats part of what Steve Gibsons Never10 does. Never10 first ensures the necessary windows update is in place ( for that registry key you mention to actually work, and to also allow windows update to grab the OS upgrade enabling windows update ), gets it to download and install, and then sets necessary registry keys.

Yep, I notice that Vulkan Run Time Libraries 1.0.3.0 was installed on my computer the other day.

:) Got it installed here aswell ..

0SgYRLf.jpg

it installed from the NVidia driver setup

I'm hoping for Vulcan to catch on as I'd really like to go back to running just linux instead of dual-booting. I don't like win10, it's only "feature" for me is DirectX12, which I'm currently hoping won't be necessary at all...

Native support for linux applications is coming to win 10? Wtf, this sounds like an early april fools' joke by microsoft.

For anyone still unsure of Never10

Have a listen to the video here https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/episodes/553?autostart=false

Go to 1:08:25 ish ( or go to 1:17:50 to skip the history of how it came about ),and listen .. Theres a fair bit more to this than just setting a registry key, Never10 does it all aswell as setting access rights on the registry keys ( which are inherited ) so that even windows cannot undo what Never10 has done, Never10 can toggle it all again if you ever wish to install 10 at a later date.

I have added this to the start of the OP, replacing all the old "dont allow windows update number xxxxx" list, or blocking GWX.

Never10 is a far better way of preventing Win 10 happening. If GWX sees these changes and has already downloaded 3gb of Windows files for the pending update .. GWX honours the settings and deletes the now redundant 3gb of files.

• 4 weeks later...

^^ Never10 has been updated to v 1.3, if you previously downloaded it then grab the update and run it again, this version does more to ensure that the heap of files Windows prepares for installation of Win 10 are removed.

Yesterday, a friend of mine called me and asked me if I knew something that could help him to solve a computer problem he had with the installed HDD's.

He explained to me that he had already toss out two HDD's since he couldn't get them to work properly and that happen after he did something in Windows 10, so I aksed him what exactly did he do and said that he optimized the SSD he is using.

It turns out to be that WIndows 10 somehow have blocked the usage of those HDD's, but if that's valid or not I dunno. :shrug:

So I suggested that it's time to do things of how to do things the old ways, meaning check the installed HDD's in BIOS then reboot and insert the Windows 7 CD to start it then delete any partition the WIndows 7 installation program can detect.

He did that and violá it worked.  My question is, does anyone know if Windows 10 can block the user's access to delete Windows 10, if the user doesn't want to use Windows 10 and want to erase ALL data?

that's BS. Mount the HDD anywhere you want and format/re-partition. Nothing Microsoft could do against that.

And to me it sounds more like what ever your fried did to "optimize" his SSDs three times in a row is to blame, not Win 10 per se. From your description i also couldn't quite decipher, what didn't work with the SSDs and Win10, and whether those optimized SSDs would have worked with win7 or not.

Is that BS?  I don't think so since my friend couldn't create a new partition in Windows 7 CD installation program, because the partition of Windows 10 was still active hence my question.

You know this isn't first time M$ have done that, I mean to *block* the user to do certain things unless the user does it exactly what M$ wants any Windows user to do.

For example, do you remember how it was when Windows 98 came out regarding using another OS than Windows?

If you were already using Windows then it was impossible to install Linux without using Linux boot loader for dual installed OS on the same computer.

I know you must use Linux boot loader and have done that myself when using Windows 98, Windows XP, and Linux (RedHat 9.0 I think it was) at the same time on the same computer.

I've never heard of it being the case where the Windows 7 install DVD can't blank the partitions and let you start over. That said, I haven't used Windows 10 either and don't want to unless forced into it.

I think the question of what your friend did to "optimize" his SSD is relevant. Optimize it how? Why would you even try?

My bad, what I said is wrong of course you can create a new partition via Windows 7 CD.  What I should say was that he couldn't install Windows 7 without first deleting the Windows 10 partition.

I said to him the same thing about optimizing a SSD, which is something one shoudn't do.

Ah maybe this was a problem with the format of the partition, I forget which version of windows introduced this but it was after NTFS came along I think, before you installed Windows it had to have a low level format in FAT32 format, then windows would install to the partition making its own NTFS formatted space on the same partition.

Or something similar - I dont recall the exact details but do recall it being a problem I needed to research before I could have a dual booting OS ( at the time Win 7 plus Fedora Linux ), once the initial FAT32 format was established the two installs went fine after a bit of tweaking with EasyBCD

PartedMagic would probably get his drives to play again, I always use this to prep any partitions, worst case scenario would probably need Steve Gibsons SpinRite to resurrect a drive from the dead.

Anyway up .. Optimizing an SSD = Not necessary imho, and if any writing to the drive was done in the process then the process has actually reduced the life expectancy of the SSD by however many writes it did.

Ah maybe this was a problem with the format of the partition, I forget which version of windows introduced this but it was after NTFS came along I think, before you installed Windows it had to have a low level format in FAT32 format, then windows would install to the partition making its own NTFS formatted space on the same partition.

Indeed, it was a problem since HDD's that' larger than 2 Gb now use something called GPT have replaced the old MBR and GPT were introduced in Windows 8.

Are you referring to the old Windows NT 3.51 or Windows NT 4.0?

I once installed Windows NT 4.0 and was told to first low level format the HDD to FAT32 then type "lock C:" in the DOS prompt IIRC.  After that I could begin the installation of Windows NT 4.0.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently learned about two one program to help control Windows 10 installation on Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. They are Never10 (ignore this, it has already been mentioned in the original post) and GWX Control Panel. 

Upgrade before July 30 or pay up. Another beauty from the M$Sloth Garden of Delights.

Yeah I think I ought to mention that in the first post, thanks for the reminder ( I had forgotten )

I've recently learned about two programs to help control Windows 10 installation on Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. They are Never10 and GWX Control Panel.

:D You haven't had a read of the first post have you.

Whatever you buy from Microsoft is scrap.

So what do you expect from something they offer you for free ?

Yeah I think I ought to mention that in the first post, thanks for the reminder ( I had forgotten )

:D You haven't had a read of the first post have you.

My mistake. I've edited my post to reflect that it has already been mentioned.

Whatever you buy from Microsoft is scrap.

That's a generalization. Windows sure is their main commercial product with all the downside this have, but several MS softwares are pretty good, if not the best in their category, provided you pay the price (Visual Studio especially).

That's a generalization. Windows sure is their main commercial product with all the downside this have, but several MS softwares are pretty good, if not the best in their category, provided you pay the price (Visual Studio especially).

True.

Should have made clear that I'm referring to operating systems.

Well I cant see me needing DX12, so will probably take advantage of this news and get the Win 7 discs out

Thanks for that link, Linux is next if 2020 comes first and they are still pushing spyware on a ( by then ) paid for product. Never10 is the way ahead