Windows 10

alt3rn1ty

Sounds like it, all they do is up the version of the update, and that gets past the previous version of the same update being hidden because the OS sees the update as an update to the update.

They used to do the same trick with silverlight updates if you hid them as unwanted

unanswered by MS http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-update-how-do-you-keep-hidden-updates-and/5e643309-706d-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?auth=1

Will add the third one as one to be cautious of aswell

Edit : Also found the following article someone keeping an eye on these patches Snooping and Nagging patches return

Do let us know the outcome :P

Seems fine so far, although on the next update, I had 2952664 pop up again. That was the only one though.

Yep, the location of the switch for that is in Settings \ Personalisation \ Start

CsmciRI.jpg

I didnt know the exact purpose of that setting, but I switched it off anyway. Microsoft making suggestions in the Start menus' didn't seem like something I needed, but did sound like something I probably would not need .. ever. So I switched it off when I was being very nosy about every option Windows 10 gives you.

Win 10 Is like a huge Steam client, with a lot more settings to dig into and study the obfuscated agenda.

Copying here a post from the STEP forum, GrantSP has put some research into taming Windows 10 to taste and found quite a few nice extras I had not found so far .. All those extra Apps windows installs ( which have corresponding Privacy issues in the settings ), if you try to get rid of them the way I tried once they come back when windows notices they are missing - No longer :D :

We already have the first part of this procedure noted in the first post of this topic on AFK Mods ( the Custom Install selections in yellow )

But all the Turquoise "Get-AppxPackage" commands for an admin powershell are new, as is the instructions for removing OneDrive ( the tool which is central to microsofts cloud storage of all your data ) ..

I've now been using Win 10 on my laptop for a while and recently installed an OEM version on my desktop.

This is what I did to tame Windows 10.

Disclaimer:

Your experience may vary and the choices I took may not match your outcomes.

This is only placed here as a courtesy, not a tutorial on what to do with every new install of Windows 10.

During installation choose 'Custom install' and uncheck EVERY option that is offered by Windows to 'assist you in your experience'. These include:

Personalization

• Personalize your speech, typing and inking input by sending contacts and calendar details along with other associated input data to Microsoft.
  • Send typing and inking data to Microsoft to improve the recognition and suggestion platform.
  • Let apps use your advertising ID for experiences across apps.

• Let Windows and apps request your location, including location history, and send Microsoft and trusted partners some location data to improve location services.

Browser and protection

• User SmartScreen online service to help protect against malicious content and downloads in sites loaded by Windows browsers and Store apps.
  • Use page prediction to improve reading, speed up browsing, and make your overall experience better in Windows browsers. Your browsing data will be sent to Microsoft.

Connectivity and error reporting

• Automatically connect to suggested open hotspots. Not all networks are secure.
  • Automatically connect to networks shared by your contacts.
  • Send error and diagnostic information to Microsoft.

Having done so you should have a minimal installation of Win 10 'straight out of the box', however after logging in you can prune some more dross from the system by running Powershell as an administrator and entering these commands to remove some apps that MS wants you to have.

The format of the commands is a "Get-AppxPackage" which searches the installed database for matching entries that contain the next string: *{app name}* where the * are any characters and the {app name} contains the string specific to the app(s) you are after.

Then a pipe | is used to send that selection to a "Remove-AppxPackage" which does the actual removal.

Warning! The following commands are using a very powerful system tool and if you are not sure of what they do, please do not proceed. I or STEP will not be responsible for any damage that may result from these instructions.

Get-AppxPackage *3d* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove 3D from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *camera* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Camera from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *communi* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Mail and Calendar from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *bing* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Money, Sports, News and Weather from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *zune* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Groove Music and Film & TV from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove People from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *phone* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Phone Companion from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Photos from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *solit* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Solitaire Collection from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *soundrec* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Voice Recorder from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Xbox from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *maps* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Maps from Windows 10

Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Get Office

Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Skype

Get-AppxPackage *getstarted* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove Get Started

Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove OneNote

Uninstall OneDrive

Open regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}
Take note of the DWORD entry labeled System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree set to a value of 1 (one).
To remove OneDrive from File Explorer in Windows 10, double-click on that DWORD and set its value to 0 (zero).
You may have to perform a full reboot.

Windows Updates

Open Settings -- Update & Security -- Windows Update
And then select "Advanced options". When that opens select "Choose how updates are delivered."
Turn that option from "On"to "Off".
One further step needed to remove the entry from the list of installed apps is to open a command prompt as admin and enter:
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall

My system is now what I would consider a good base from where I will now start to build a solid gaming base.

The only issue that still plagues me is Edge. I would really like to remove it but so far have not found a way to do so.

The above from this post

When trying to remove XBox, you will probably get a few errors in the powershell ( see the following posts to that link on STEP forum )

But they all get uninstalled, and do not come back to your Start \ All Apps ( Well, so far they have not for me .. Remains to be seen if MS has windows update tricks to enforce re-installation of them )

Edit : See also Post #215 and the HowToGeek link, a few more additions to the Get Package list above, and a way to re-install them all should anyone need to.

Wait, if i right click then and select uninstall, that doesn't do the trick, they come back? Didn't happen to me yet with skype and get office. How long is that time period usually for them to come back?

Wait, if i right click then and select uninstall, that doesn't do the trick, they come back? Didn't happen to me yet with skype and get office. How long is that time period usually for them to come back?

No idea on the time period, for me I did a lot more than the ones you chose, including quite a lot of the ones GrantSP's method covers, it happened just after a dirty Tuesday update to windows one time ( so I presumed in my case that windows has a good look around on those occasions ), so I did not try to uninstall them again that way, seemed pointless if MS was just going to repush them again every time ( I was likening this method to Hiding windows updates, where MS finds ways to get around you hiding them ).

The method as described from GrantSP seems to do the trick so far where a right click uninstall on the app in the menu did not.

Edit :

See also an earlier post I made ..

~snip~

Dont bother uninstalling things either, like Camera / Film and TV / Food and Drink / Get Skype / Get Office / weather .. etc etc, loads of crap apps I personally will never use.

Just disable them from being Live, and then remove them from Start - If you try to uninstall them, they just come back like bad pennies in the next Windows Updates batch, with default setup.

I mean we all know nothing is free, so Microsoft has to be making money out of the installed software one way or another

I reckon everything that you find has an entry in the many Privacy sections, all the apps which are listed as being able to access Location / Microphone / Speech Inking and Typing / Contacts / Calender / Messaging etc etc, are not just coincidental, all these apps which are new to Win 10, some being listed a few times in different privacy categories - I think all of those apps, aswell as Cortana and OneDrive, Microsoft are going to try their best to keep those installed, because they gather data about the product ..

.. The product now is not the OS, its you.

There's a slight possibility that MS may have effed up the initial Windows 10 takeover installation, and later windows updates just ensured that all app software was installed as it should have been in the first instance, so me uninstalling them meantime was then corrected by MS trying to rectify their mistakes without realising a forced re-install may need checks to see if the user had not removed them before the update .. But I doubt that very much.

I believe Windows purposely re-installed all the apps I uninstalled because they are the money makers.

It remains to be seen if GrantSP's methods make them permanently uninstalled - I'm going to wait a month, if they remain uninstalled, I will add the procedures to the OP.

Just found an article on this on HowToGeek

Listed there is Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

That one works without error, there are a few more differences to the list too.

.. And how to re-install them should anyone ever need to.

• 4 weeks later...

Awefully quiet here, so let me just add: Fuck you MS, fuck you and your fucking updater fuck.

Ok, this feels better. Seriously, do we have to replace our whole OS now every 4 months? Well for me it worked well on 2 of 3 computers. Not sure i should feel happy about this. So far it looks like it 'only' broke a few apps and the contacts sync, but the truth is: It's actually worse than a broken programm, because you have no control over these apps. Gonna have to try a few of the self- repair options floating on the net, before making the gamble to do a downgrade... Keep your fingers crossed

(oh and btw: The 1511 upgrade finally brought back all the apps i did uninstall before... Go figure)

For me the 1511 upgrade was a blessing. Before, I had an unrecognized device (an audio component on my 7 years old nvidia motherboard), from a manufacturer which has disappeared a long time ago, so no available driver. Nowhere. Therefore, even if I enjoyed Windows 10 a lot, I had frequent crashes when playing, browsing, etc. Stuck sound, uncontrolled reboots, stuck desktop at start, etc. I was even wondering these last weeks if I shouldn't go back to Windows 8.1.

Now, with the 1511 upgrade, no more unrecognized device, no more crashes, no more reboots, my computer runs like a charm ! THANK YOU Microsoft.

Yeah those lists in all the privacy settings full of apps allowed by default to do various things just keep getting longer and longer - I wonder if MS are doing a check on Hard Drive space before any of these things get installed.

Glad I didnt do the whole sync with the cloud thing and disabled as much as possible from the outset, MS are now starting to take full advantage of the installed user base and those automatic updates you cannot really defer.

One good point, the method of getting rid of the MS embedded flash using a file named as a flash folder ( after taking ownership of all files and deleting them ), seems to be working a treat.

I also made the file so that all Application packages and the system are denied doing anything with it. So far its survived all windows updates.

well, i'm back in business. The OS is also cleaner now (sadly not necessarily faster, was pretty well maintained before it seems), and i used the opportunity to switch to the new NMM profiling.

it really takes a lot of time, to download all games from steam though, redownloading and installing the OS was cake in comparison.

Yeah, um, kind of "old" news to me already, with all my reinstalling :D. On of the reasons i switched to a lot of portable/non-installed programs lately is surely the safety against being uninstalled :D.

on a sidenote: i now have skyrim up and running with all the mods and what not again on my main rig. phew, was kind of really time consuming to set it all up again, including an NMM upgrade and a new fight with getting DX9, ENB and 3D Vision running on Win 10 again. For some reason i had to drop SMAA this time. probably because unlike win 8, win 10 would not want to install dx9c properly any more. having the full version of DX9 installed was necessary from my experience, if you run several d3d9.dll hooks in series in win 7+8. no longer seems to be the case in win 10.

oddly enough, upgrading from win 7 or 8 with dx9c installed results in a system where enb, helixmod and smaa work propperly in series. A clean install of win 10 gets borked when installing dx9 (shut down times explode to > 60s with CPU running hot). enb, helixmod and smaa no longer run in series. i had to uninstall smaa. however, enb and helixmod would still function in series, even without dx9 (unlike on win 7+8)

it makes no sense.

This ain't W10 news as such, but newest AMD video drivers for W10 gave me ~12 fps boost in Skyrim! I could not believe it, the difference was so huge! In the past I had about 31-35fps in the wild. Now it's about 41fps at least, with snowy conditions and lots of animations in the background, and usually 45-47fps in the wild. In houses and caves, it's as high as 52-55fps.

Using MSI R7 250 1gb ddr5 card.

I read something about a big rewrite of AMD drivers finally going live. Maybe that is what you are seeing? I have to say, 2016 will be a thrilling year in the 'graphics war' with AMD equipping a lot of interesting features. So far it looks like their first big promise (new better driver) was more than mere PR speak after all.

Is that just for Windows 10? Cause it would be wrong of them to ignore the much larger Windows 7 market on stuff like that :P

Yeah, the newest drivers are called Crimson edition. Totally new interface as well. It feels like having a new card, they unleashed the full power of something that didn't exist before. :)

I have checked it now, there are W7/W8 drivers as well, but they are all separated now by Windows version. In the past, 32/64bit used to be the only difference.