[WIPz] TES5Edit

zilav

Sorry for making such a big a request kindof out of nowhere but..

Would it be possible to have another status (and thus font color) for records / sub-records which are "Conflict looser, but the conflict winner have me as a master".

So for instance:

If value A is at 1 in Skyrim.esm, 2 in Update.esm, and 3 in MyMod.esp, (MyMod.esp having both Skyrim and Update as masters) then the record in Update.esm would have this new status and color.
Suggested color: Light purple.

Alternatively, an option to have those cases displayed as "master" (even if the record isn't defined directly in it, they're still in a "it make sense that I am being overriden") could do the trick.

Right now there is no difference between a regular conflict between two independant mods, and "chained conflicts" between an intermediate master and its child plugin.

I do know that this is essentially what modgroups have been designed for (so I do get that the answer might just be a straight "No, not possible, rely on mod groups"), but sadly they're nowhere near as convenient as I'd like them to be.

1 hour ago, Artaios said:

Thanks, zilav! Sorry to ask again but is it the one link at the bottom named "Download" that is the latest version?

Yes, that's it.

3 hours ago, Kesta said:

Right now there is no difference between a regular conflict between two independant mods, and "chained conflicts" between an intermediate master and its child plugin.

And what's the difference (from the game's pov)?

When you want to see conflicts between a master and it's child plugin, load only the child plugin in xEdit.

Hey, love the tool! I'm a developer myself, and I'd love to be able to contribute to the project.  What's stopping me? I don't have Delphi. 

Is there any way to get this compiling without Delphi?  I looked into the free version, and that didn't seem to work. I also looked into Lazarus and FPC, also didn't work.  Really don't want to shell out $1400 to contribute to this, and I'm not going to download an unlicensed copy.  

If not, or if you just don't want more contributors, oh well ;-)  Still love xEdit. 

On 2.11.2017 at 8:45 AM, zilav said:

"Latest" is always the one linked in the first post.

Okay, thanks. I just wonder what is latest when I am on Sharlikran's site...

8 hours ago, zilav said:

Free version does work. There is even an instruction on building in newer Delphi versions https://github.com/TES5Edit/TES5Edit/blob/dev/delphiD24.txt

Awesome! I’ll check that out.  I have 10.2, not 10.1, but I’ll see if that works. If it doesn’t, I’ll see if they still have 10.1 available for download. 

On 11/3/2017 at 11:57 PM, zilav said:

Free version does work. There is even an instruction on building in newer Delphi versions https://github.com/TES5Edit/TES5Edit/blob/dev/delphiD24.txt

Okay, got it to compile and run...  Had to use the DebugLite version.  Not sure what the difference is.  Honestly, this whole process has made me like Pascal even less, and I didn't think that was possible ;-)

Anyway, now that its compiling, I'll need to explore the code some more to see how it all works. If you have any pointers on where to start, I'd appreciate it.  

12 hours ago, StochasticTinker said:

Okay, got it to compile and run...  Had to use the DebugLite version.  Not sure what the difference is.  Honestly, this whole process has made me like Pascal even less, and I didn't think that was possible ;-)

DebugLite doesn't use ExpressLibrary controls for inline editing.

xEdit is not the right type of project to start pascal with. It is big, it is complex, it uses several 3rd party libraries. Try to build any big C++ project with external dependencies and you are going to like C++ even less too.

When I save a plugin xEdit run via Mod Organizer, the plugin is moved to Mod Organizer's overwrite folder. Is this xEdit's doing? Or MO's?

Guess! :) That's how MO works for new files. And when saving, xEdit creates a new file, it doesn't overwrite the existing one. You could use MO setting to specify an alternative directory for files "overwritten" by xEdit (or use the xEdit -D parameter which is pretty much the same). But that won't work if you edit multiple mods at once, in which case the standard overwrite is just as well.

@StochasticTinker

People request features that are not needed sometimes.  Mod Organizer support is one of them and they don't understand why it appears that there is no support. There is no compiler directive to add "Mod organizer" support in the Embarcadero compiler.  Mod Organizer changes how things are done through its DLL files so the compatibility comes from that program not ours. 

If you have something you can submit that is actually a feature or addition that can be used we are happy to discuss including it.  If the consensus is that you feel it's a benefit but Zilav, Hlp, or myself object to that then I would appreciate it if that would be the end of the discussion.  If you have added something you like and we have not included the addition because it more or less goes against program functionality, like the MO Overwrite folder, I would appreciate it if that was not done and no binaries are released.

I'm just using MO as an example I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong by compiling xEdit or checking things out. I'm curious to see what your ideas are. Thanks for trying things out.

7 hours ago, fireundubh said:

When I save a plugin xEdit run via Mod Organizer, the plugin is moved to Mod Organizer's overwrite folder. Is this xEdit's doing? Or MO's?

Mod organizer.  Its files are in complete control so any functionality changes or compatibility must come from MO/MO2 code. For example it's C++ DLL files for the virtualization.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:03 PM, archer said:

Okay, thanks. I just wonder what is latest when I am on Sharlikran's site...

They are currently the same version.  There really is no way to explain things in a long or short manner.  Zilav may need for his convenience to have a version for testing linked in the first post. The GitHub site is new and is a way to have more xEdit information in one location. It doesn't mean there will be a difference between the development version offered until our next official release on the Nexus.

I'm waiting for the next wave of CC mods before releasing anything on Nexus in case they changebreak something again. Also want to see ESP/ESM CC mod and how it'll work, and since several mod makers from club already hinted that "bigger" content is coming, there is a chance for that.

4 hours ago, Sharlikran said:

@StochasticTinker

People request features that are not needed sometimes.  Mod Organizer support is one of them and they don't understand why it appears that there is no support. There is no compiler directive to add "Mod organizer" support in the Embarcadero compiler.  Mod Organizer changes how things are done through its DLL files so the compatibility comes from that program not ours. 

If you have something you can submit that is actually a feature or addition that can be used we are happy to discuss including it.  If the consensus is that you feel it's a benefit but Zilav, Hlp, or myself object to that then I would appreciate it if that would be the end of the discussion.  If you have added something you like and we have not included the addition because it more or less goes against program functionality, like the MO Overwrite folder, I would appreciate it if that was not done and no binaries are released.

I'm just using MO as an example I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong by compiling xEdit or checking things out. I'm curious to see what your ideas are. Thanks for trying things out.

I totally understand! Mostly I'm an algorithms guy, so I was more going to see if there was anything I could do to improve the performance of some of the operations, or even improve some of the capabilities around searching.  In any case, this is a side project, so I don't know that I'll get to doing anything with it really any time soon.

14 hours ago, zilav said:

DebugLite doesn't use ExpressLibrary controls for inline editing.

xEdit is not the right type of project to start pascal with. It is big, it is complex, it uses several 3rd party libraries. Try to build any big C++ project with external dependencies and you are going to like C++ even less too.

Perhaps thats true.  xEdit doesn't appear to be as big as a lot of projects I work on, but then again I'm also more familiar with other code ecosystems (primarily Java and PHP, with some C++).

Anyway, my goal is not to start Pascal.  I wanted to see if there is anything I can do to make xEdit even more awesome than it already is.  I thought it might be easier to contribute to this project than to write my own implementation in Java ;-)

I am looking for a way to extract all the in-game text to filter them through a Python based typo detection script, so they can be fixed in UFO4P. Is there an easy way to do it with the current set of tools? I might also try edit scripts, but I was unable find a proper documentation. Is the API documented?

Also if there is no such feature yet, it might be beneficial in the future to include it as a default function since nearly every Bethesda game has tons of typo in them. That way we could just analyze all the text in bulk, instead of submitting them for fixing whenever and if we could find them during gameplay.

Edit: Localization editor is great for seeing the strings with their addresses, for extracting you could add a JSON/XML export option. That way we could mark the affiliated IDs for each typo.

Edit 2: It seems like terminal text is stored directly in the ESx files. Scripting wise how can I extract the parent form ID and UNAM - Display Text field for each entry?

2 hours ago, jpulowski said:

I am looking for a way to extract all the in-game text to filter them through a Python based typo detection script, so they can be fixed in UFO4P. Is there an easy way to do it with the current set of tools? I might also try edit scripts, but I was unable find a proper documentation. Is the API documented?

All text values are stored in strings files apart from strings in GMST records and strings embedded in papyrus scripts. Since those strings files have very simple format you'd better read them directly. But even then there are translations tools available like fo4translator which have built-in spell checking so I don't know why do you want to do that yourself.

1 hour ago, zilav said:

All text values are stored in strings files apart from strings in GMST records and strings embedded in papyrus scripts. Since those strings files have very simple format you'd better read them directly. But even then there are translations tools available like fo4translator which have built-in spell checking so I don't know why do you want to do that yourself.

Was aware of fo4translator, but did not know it had a built-in spell checker. That makes everything easier. Thanks.

But still do not understand the concept of strings. Since I am able to view strings with xEdit, I always thought that they were embedded into the ESx files. Or is it the other way around? (i.e. ESx only contains references, xEdit pulls the strings from string files)