[WIPz] TES5Edit

zilav

They added a float value in DATA of AMMO records (form version 44), it is 0.1 everywhere.

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I grabbed the Survival file while it's available for free. xEdit is not happy about it:

The same address is what crashes it every time.

I don't crash with Survival. Send me your plugins.txt, need to figure that out before uploading an update.

I stripped the plugins.txt down to nothing but the ESL:

ccQDRSSE001-SurvivalMode.esl

It's still generating the same crash.

Figured it out. Apparently I was still using a dev release from May and not the one from August you have in the OP. The ESL file loads up fine now.

I just grabbed v3.2.1 from the download link in the OP, (thanks for pointing that out Arthmoor,). I jut wanted to confirm if xLODGen is incorporated into it or if I need to download that separately? I just rename it to TES4LODGen.exe to use with Oblivion, right? Thanks for your hard work on this @zilav!!  (also Sharlikran & hlp)

Edit: Also, using Jotti.org to scan files, ClamAV is reporting the .exe as "PUA.Win.Packer.Exe-6". However, when VirusTotal runs it through ClamAV, it shows clean. *shrug* Just in-case you get anyone whining about a false positive. Clean on every other scanner.

9 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Figured it out. Apparently I was still using a dev release from May and not the one from August you have in the OP. The ESL file loads up fine now.

Good. I was starting to get nervous :)

4 hours ago, RavenMind said:

I just grabbed v3.2.1 from the download link in the OP, (thanks for pointing that out Arthmoor,). I jut wanted to confirm if xLODGen is incorporated into it or if I need to download that separately? I just rename it to TES4LODGen.exe to use with Oblivion, right? Thanks for your hard work on this @zilav!!  (also Sharlikran & hlp)

Yes, the executable is the same for xEdit and xLODGen. You can also generate LOD right inside xEdit via right click -> Other -> Generate LOD menu option.

Uploaded new build with updated AMMO definition for the latest SSE Beta.

With the latest SSE update (Creation Club support) can we safely clean the DLCs with the current xEdit version ?

The update in the OP that made the weight field visible on AMMO records is not allowing those records to be edited.

4 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

The update in the OP that made the weight field visible on AMMO records is not allowing those records to be edited.

Because this field doesn't exist in "old" plugins. Right click on DATA subrecord's row and "Reset structure". However this will null existing fields, so you'll need to set them back yourself or drag&drop from master if the same.

This one use one of the links at GitHub and expected to see a newer version than already being used, in this case 3.2.1 for both SSEEdit and TES5Edit, but fail to see that on Nexus for both SSEEdit and TES5Edit.

The description of both pages says 3.2, but I use 3.2.1 for both xEdit versions and that should be updated on Nexus.

On 2017-09-29 at 3:19 AM, RavenMind said:

I just grabbed v3.2.1 from the download link in the OP

2 hours ago, zilav said:

Because this field doesn't exist in "old" plugins. Right click on DATA subrecord's row and "Reset structure". However this will null existing fields, so you'll need to set them back yourself or drag&drop from master if the same.

Neat, didn't even know that option existed. I had fixed the AMMO records I needed to fix in the CK, but thanks. I'll try and remember this if it comes up again for another field.

A request for a documentation file, perhaps a html file, that has information about the feature/functions/options that exist in xEdit regardless what game xEdit are being used for.  Similiar to the included Wrye Bash documentation file in WB.

This request is a direct response to Arthmoor's post about a neat option he didn't know that existed in xEdit.

5 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Neat, didn't even know that option existed. I had fixed the AMMO records I needed to fix in the CK, but thanks. I'll try and remember this if it comes up again for another field.

I added it by request in the latest build for New Vegas (it has a lot of FO3 records with missing values). This has never been a big problem for later games until the SSE CC patch.

@Leonardo English is not my native language so not going to happen. I will add it to changelog, but that's it.

Also does anyone know load order rules for ESL plugins? I know that the game loads them right after ESMs regardless of their position in plugins.txt (though always in slot 254?), but maybe it is due to the fact that CC plugin names are hardcoded in executable and they also have ESM flag set. What about custom esl without ESM flag? Can they have ESP files as masters and hence load after required ESPs?

Regarding ESL files:

The ones generated by Bethesda will load immediately following Dragonborn.esm for SSE and immediately after whatever the last DLC is you have. Usually Nuka-World.esm in most cases, but if the hi-res DLC is installed then they will come after DLCUltraHighResolution.esm. CC content will always load regardless of whether you have them marked activated or not, and they will go in whatever order the exe has hardcoded for them regardless of where you put them in the order.

ESM-flagged ESL files that users generate will load in whatever order is in the plugins.txt file.

ESL files without the ESM flag will still load with the other ESM files. They will still follow load order based on where you put them. They CANNOT use ESP files as masters though or those ESP files will be forced to load into the ESM group. That of course will result in a number of unwanted things happening. So basically ESL files should be self-contained units with no dependencies on anything but official ESM files. That will limit their scope somewhat but they can still be useful for a number of small mods that exist to load BSA/BA2 archives or are simply there to add armors and weapons to the game and not be concerned with where they load.

More details about them are here: https://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Data_File

So Bethesda gives the community more problems to solve upon the introduction of the ESL file.

Way to go Bethesda, if they have the intention to actually kill the community.  First, close the old forum then present to us that garbage Jive forum software and later when they realized their mistake give us a forum no one really like.

33 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Regarding ESL files:

What a mess. Right now I see only 3 possible ways to deal with that in xEdit:

1) Hardcode CC plugin names and put them after DLCs. @hlp has already started but I'm not sure this is the way to go. How long Bethesda it going to add new CC mods? Few months, a year, several years? It will require to constantly update xEdit after each new release.

2) Autodetect CC plugins and put them after DLCs. Looks like they are going to be ESL files and have all 3 flags set in the TES4 header: ESL, ESM and Localized. I doubt that any custom mod will ever match that criteria since user created ESL master flagged plugin is a huge no-no and a sure way to mess load order. Also since CC mods are never going to conflict between themselves and use each others as masters (Bethesda guarantees curation and compatibility) their load order relative to each other doesn't matter at all. The only problem is possible ESP/ESM based CC mods in the future.

3) Ignore all that crap and simply load plugins according to plugins.txt as xEdit does right now, and rely on mod managers/LOOT/users to update and explicitely add/order CC mods there.

I'm inclined to go with option 3 because screw that. xEdit is not a mod manager and this $hit is getting out of control pretty quick

Follow up...

4) Someone asks Bethesda to update plugins.txt with the actual loaded order including CC mods every time the game runs. To show some love to community and 3rd party tools. But we all know this is not going to happen.

CC content is not limited to just ESL files though. That's only for the small stuff. Anything of sufficient size will ship as a standard ESM file. So option 2 is out.

I don't see option 3 as especially desirable since the game will not care that you ignored it, which will lead to problems if xEdit is loading them without accounting for the issue of placement by the game executable. This is something that's already been encountered once, and something I ran into while testing other stuff as well. xEdit is not a mod manager, I get that, but it relies on accurate load order to function properly.

Which leaves option 1. I get that it's not really what you want to do, but ultimately CC ESL files will need to be accounted for in the order the game exe specifies, just like the 5 official ESM files are now.

.... or.... option 4 becomes a thing when someone prods them into considering it.

8 minutes ago, zilav said:

What a mess.

You can say that again.

Some people is already having issues when using the *free* CC Survival mod at the same time they are using Chesko's Campfires mod, which could directly or indirectly also be incompatible with Frostfall since it requires Campfires.

22 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Which leaves option 1. I get that it's not really what you want to do, but ultimately CC ESL files will need to be accounted for in the order the game exe specifies, just like the 5 official ESM files are now.

Official DLC files are finalized and likely never going to change, so hardcoding them is fine. But constantly updating CC... What'll happen if me and hlp will stop updating in the future for some reason, but CC will still be going on. I don't like that.

Well there is option 5. Detect if LOOT is installed and optionally use it's API to pull load order, it's plugins list is at least updated by community and unlikely to be abandoned any time soon. Though I don't know about the current state of LOOT API, anything new @WrinklyNinja?

Ok. So. Now that the dev version of Wrye Bash can read SSE's new save headers, I was able to get a proper picture of where ESL files are getting placed.

According to the test saves I've made, ESL files load after the final ESM file and before the first ESP file. This appears to be immutable, so xEdit may want to have a general option to force the issue on where they show up in the initial menu that comes up.

The load order ESL files use is in fact hardcoded in the exe so yes, that would be something to need to keep track of as more of them come out.

All of the above is strictly for CC content. I have not had a chance yet to see how it handles user made ESL files, but I suspect they will simply fall in after the CC ESL files right above the ESP group.