[WIPz] TES5Edit

zilav

I now have the humble beginnings of an xEdit Wiki. I'm going to call it a Wiki but you can't create an account and log in and it doesn't use Wiki Style format for the pages.

I will temporarily have the fopdoc files there also but they will be removed. I am testing layout and link syntax.

I'm using v3.2.1 but still getting an error when I try to load a mod based on the new survival.esl content. The esl appears last in the SSEEdit load list so it won't load the mod since the esl is a master for that mod. But I believe the esl is actually loading before the mod in game (I've read earlier posts that load order for esl is hardcoded, besides my game would crash if the esl didn't load before that mod), it's just showing up last in SSEEdit. Am I doing something wrong?

3 hours ago, scbfromnc said:

I'm using v3.2.1 but still getting an error when I try to load a mod based on the new survival.esl content. The esl appears last in the SSEEdit load list so it won't load the mod since the esl is a master for that mod. But I believe the esl is actually loading before the mod in game (I've read earlier posts that load order for esl is hardcoded, besides my game would crash if the esl didn't load before that mod), it's just showing up last in SSEEdit. Am I doing something wrong?

Nope, I already discussed it here though so I'll just link you to the conversation.

Just add the file to plugins.txt so it loads however you need it.

@WrinklyNinja I think I'm done with the fopdoc site. I had added the changes yesterday but ran into some errors. I believe I resolved them all now. Yesterday when I had errors I just reverted all the changes. Now that all the errors or hopefully 99% of them are resolved, then I'll just correct the error going forward. I am really bad at documentation so feel free to correct my instructions in Contributing.md.

5 hours ago, Sharlikran said:

Nope, I already discussed it here though so I'll just link you to the conversation.

Just add the file to plugins.txt so it loads however you need it.

Thanks for the quick reply!  Exactly what I needed.

9 hours ago, Sharlikran said:

@WrinklyNinja I think I'm done with the fopdoc site. I had added the changes yesterday but ran into some errors. I believe I resolved them all now. Yesterday when I had errors I just reverted all the changes. Now that all the errors or hopefully 99% of them are resolved, then I'll just correct the error going forward. I am really bad at documentation so feel free to correct my instructions in Contributing.md.

Ok, I can see a few improvements. Most notably, you didn't need to change all the .md links, Jekyll can automatically convert them, and now the links don't work when browsing the repository.

4 minutes ago, WrinklyNinja said:

Ok, I can see a few improvements. Most notably, you didn't need to change all the .md links, Jekyll can automatically convert them, and now the links don't work when browsing the repository.

I can revert a lot of that, but can you do me a favor first? Can you go to the github.io link first please.  I believe there is a difference.

I believe if you go to the repository link, then yes the .md links are now broken and I am sorry about that but I believe that's unavoidable, I think.

If you go to the gh-pages link then the .html links work because the yaml Front Matter causes jekyll to convert them to html, if I understand correctly.

@WrinklyNinja Also I set up the jekyll server on my local machine. It was a pain looking at their documentation for me. It waned me to have GCC, MAKE, and other things, and all that was just confusing. All I needed was ruby. I used it to install a few things. I don't remember the exact order though, but I can list what I remember. Most of the dependencies will automatically install when you add the gem.

I ended up with all this, but I didn't have to install all that manually, only a few things and the rest was automatic.

Spoiler

activesupport (4.2.10)
addressable (2.5.2)
bigdecimal (default: 1.3.0)
bundler (1.15.4)
colorator (1.1.0)
concurrent-ruby (1.0.5)
did_you_mean (1.1.0)
ffi (1.9.18 x64-mingw32)
forwardable-extended (2.6.0)
html-pipeline (2.7.1)
i18n (0.9.0)
io-console (default: 0.4.6)
jekyll (3.6.2)
jekyll-mentions (1.2.0)
jekyll-sass-converter (1.5.0)
jekyll-seo-tag (2.3.0)
jekyll-theme-cayman (0.1.0)
jekyll-watch (1.5.0)
json (default: 2.0.4)
kramdown (1.15.0)
liquid (4.0.0)
listen (3.0.8)
mercenary (0.3.6)
mini_portile2 (2.3.0)
minitest (5.10.1)
net-telnet (0.1.1)
nokogiri (1.8.1 x64-mingw32)
openssl (default: 2.0.5)
pathutil (0.16.0)
power_assert (0.4.1)
psych (default: 2.2.2)
public_suffix (3.0.0)
rake (12.0.0)
rb-fsevent (0.10.2)
rb-inotify (0.9.10)
rdoc (default: 5.0.0)
rouge (2.2.1)
safe_yaml (1.0.4)
sass (3.5.2, 3.4.25)
sass-listen (4.0.0)
scss_lint (0.55.0)
test-unit (3.2.3)
thread_safe (0.3.6)
tzinfo (1.2.3)
xmlrpc (0.2.1)

@WrinklyNinja Actually give me an hour or two and I'll split the .md changes and the yaml front matter so they are different commits. That should make it easier if you want to revert some of the changes. I'll let you know when I'm done.

1 hour ago, Sharlikran said:

@WrinklyNinja Also I set up the jekyll server on my local machine. It was a pain looking at their documentation for me. It waned me to have GCC, MAKE, and other things, and all that was just confusing. All I needed was ruby. I used it to install a few things. I don't remember the exact order though, but I can list what I remember. Most of the dependencies will automatically install when you add the gem.

I ended up with all this, but I didn't have to install all that manually, only a few things and the rest was automatic.

Reveal hidden contents

activesupport (4.2.10)
addressable (2.5.2)
bigdecimal (default: 1.3.0)
bundler (1.15.4)
colorator (1.1.0)
concurrent-ruby (1.0.5)
did_you_mean (1.1.0)
ffi (1.9.18 x64-mingw32)
forwardable-extended (2.6.0)
html-pipeline (2.7.1)
i18n (0.9.0)
io-console (default: 0.4.6)
jekyll (3.6.2)
jekyll-mentions (1.2.0)
jekyll-sass-converter (1.5.0)
jekyll-seo-tag (2.3.0)
jekyll-theme-cayman (0.1.0)
jekyll-watch (1.5.0)
json (default: 2.0.4)
kramdown (1.15.0)
liquid (4.0.0)
listen (3.0.8)
mercenary (0.3.6)
mini_portile2 (2.3.0)
minitest (5.10.1)
net-telnet (0.1.1)
nokogiri (1.8.1 x64-mingw32)
openssl (default: 2.0.5)
pathutil (0.16.0)
power_assert (0.4.1)
psych (default: 2.2.2)
public_suffix (3.0.0)
rake (12.0.0)
rb-fsevent (0.10.2)
rb-inotify (0.9.10)
rdoc (default: 5.0.0)
rouge (2.2.1)
safe_yaml (1.0.4)
sass (3.5.2, 3.4.25)
sass-listen (4.0.0)
scss_lint (0.55.0)
test-unit (3.2.3)
thread_safe (0.3.6)
tzinfo (1.2.3)
xmlrpc (0.2.1)

1 hour ago, Sharlikran said:

I can revert a lot of that, but can you do me a favor first? Can you go to the github.io link first please.  I believe there is a difference.

I believe if you go to the repository link, then yes the .md links are now broken and I am sorry about that but I believe that's unavoidable, I think.

If you go to the gh-pages link then the .html links work because the yaml Front Matter causes jekyll to convert them to html, if I understand correctly.

Breaking the links wasn't unavoidable, it just looks like you weren't using the gems GitHub use though, which is probably why the .md links weren't working for you, see here. I've used Jekyll in the past and it wasn't as complex as you describe, it sounds like you were following a rubbish guide.

Maybe so, I will get that cleaned up, make a backup just in case, and then commit the changes. Thanks for helping me. I'd rather learn how to do it correctly. As with anything I do, making changes, naming websites, I never intend to do it wrong.  So I appreciate the help. I'll let you know when I'm done.

@WrinklyNinja Okay I think I'm done and have reverted the changes. I tested it a bit to see if I could visit a few links from the README.md and some of the Fallout 3 records.  The website still works from what I can tell so I see what you mean by not having to change the .md to .html.

What I don't get is why I have to put .html in the index.html file. For example I have to put CONTRIBUTING.html and not  CONTRIBUTING.md.  I tested it, if I have .md there then it doesn't work. That's confusing me now.

Wait never mind I had to add the gem to the config file. I'm testing more. I'll squash the commits tomorrow after I test some more.  Thanks for the link that was helpful.

EDIT: Never mind. I waited longer, refreshed the page and it didn't work with the file name ending in .md in index.html.

Guys, what would cause the checkboxes to go missing on xEdit startup and exit? Here's an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt0qie0d1dys4qk/Missing Checkboxes.png?dl=0

This is on Windows 10 and it happens with both Oblivion and Fallout 4. I'm guessing a missing windows library or sometning? I'm using the most recent build from the first post here, which didn't have this problem until recently.

Yes, same result. I know this isn't an xEdit peroblem, but if I knew what library xEdit uses to generate those boxes, maybe I can figure out what's messed up on my end. (xEdit is the only place I'm seeing this.) I can't run LODGen either, since the worldspace selection panel is missing the same checkboxes.

I reinstalled all of my Visual C++ runtimes, thinking it might be one of those, also ruled out display driver. It's a mystery.

48 minutes ago, Supierce said:

I reinstalled all of my Visual C++ runtimes, thinking it might be one of those, also ruled out display driver. It's a mystery.

xEdit doesn't use any C++ runtimes since it is written in Delphi. I think your problem is with scaling you set in Windows, that window caption is enormous on your screenshot.

14 minutes ago, zilav said:

xEdit doesn't use any C++ runtimes since it is written in Delphi. I think your problem is with scaling you set in Windows, that window caption is enormous on your screenshot.

That's because I'm running at 1920x1080. I wondered about the same thing and tried various scaling options, but nothing helped. Also, xEdit has worked on this same computer, with the same resolution and scaling, for months. The boxes only disappeared a couple of days ago. I'm running the fast-ring preview of the Windows 10 Spring Update and wonder if that's the cause. I hate to go through the hassle of reverting to the release version just to find out, but it does make me curious. Anyway, thank you for your help!

3 hours ago, Supierce said:

That's because I'm running at 1920x1080. I wondered about the same thing and tried various scaling options, but nothing helped. Also, xEdit has worked on this same computer, with the same resolution and scaling, for months. The boxes only disappeared a couple of days ago. I'm running the fast-ring preview of the Windows 10 Spring Update and wonder if that's the cause. I hate to go through the hassle of reverting to the release version just to find out, but it does make me curious. Anyway, thank you for your help!

Then I don't have any idea. xEdit uses TCheckListBox from standard library which is guaranteed to work across all platforms. Maybe it is indeed a broken Windows update, not the first time from what I heard.

We'll assume that's what it is. If I find out more, I'll let you know.

If anyone else runs into this, the workaround is to use the right-click\SelectNone option, and then double-click the mod you want to open. Exiting, you can just Select All to save everything you've editied, or Select None and then double-click the mod you want to save. The same technique works for selecting worldspaces with LODGen.

2 hours ago, lmstearn said:

The check box is one of the most fundamental features of Windows. What have they done?

You're thinking of Windows' comctl32.dll and comctl32.ocx. Delphi uses its own controls, which usually work fine.

On 2017-10-28 at 8:50 PM, Supierce said:

If anyone else runs into this, the workaround is to use the right-click\SelectNone option, and then double-click the mod you want to open.

I've always done that, so I am lucky for not getting the issue you had by using a 1920x1080 monitor. :P