[RELz] Snowy Dreams

Hana

Opening thread in which I beg for help for my mod contribution to the ORE Christmas event.

So many ideas are floating around in my head. I'm pretty sure I can handle the decorating part of the mod. What I will need help with is a small quest I'd like to add.

Would something like this be feasible?

- Player is directed to a remote cabin. At first the cabin is abandoned and rundown.

- A ghost (of Santa, or whatever he is called in Ob lore) asks for players help to deliver presents.

- Once player finishes he is told to return to cabin.

- Cabin is now a winter wonderland of Christmassy decorated joy. The ghost is a real NPC, says thank you speech and wanders off.

Is switching out the existing rundown cabin into a pretty player owned home a fairly easy thing to do? Like how Benirus manor quest is handled?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hana

• Dwip

• Conner

• Arthmoor

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's not a wildly hard quest idea.

Re: Cabin, two ways you can go.

1. The Benirus Manor route. Make your destroyed cabin and ok cabin the same cell. Build everything on top of each other, then parent all the destroyed stuff to the destroyed cabin, parent all the good stuff to the good cabin, and disable it all. Disable the one and enable the other during the quest.

2. The Weye Manor route. Make two cells, one destroyed cabin, the other good cabin. Outside, have doors leading to both, and disable the good one at the start. During the quest, enable the good door and disable the destroyed door.

And that's the quick version, since I must play Civ now.

Dwip's got the two choices down. It depends on how much stuff you're planning on putting in each version of the house. If it's not going to be a ton of stuff, then it isn't difficult to set up using the same cell to handle both states. If it's a lot, it gets hard because you'll end up with a lot of overlapping stuff that isn't easy to work with in the CS and ends up confusing you. The Weye Manor route is how I pursued my parts of ABR. Dwip used the #1 method on his part.

#1 has the advantage of not losing anything the player may drop there before the switch since it would all be the same cell. So if you're expecting people to leave stuff behind in the cell, you need to go this route.

Awesome guys, thanks.I'll probably go #1 route, which sounds like I could change exteriors too? I'm talking very plain, almost nothing in landscaping for rundown cabin, and plants, statics, decorations for festive cabin. I don't expect anyone will want to store anything in rundown cabin during the quest.

For #1 I can also make 2 separate int cells so long as the doors point to the right one?

As long as you're willing to do the object parenting + disable/enable thing, you can do pretty much anything you want. Interiors, exteriors, whatever. I do a bunch of exterior stuff for the Serranus monks in AFK_Weye, frex.If you're going the #1 route you don't really have any need to do the seperate cells thing, which is to say I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

You can't change landscaping through enable/disable unless you get tricky like I did with OCR Chorrol. You can enable/disable the static plants and bushes though like any other item.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say either.I guess I'm asking if it could be done with a combination of the two options - enable/disable ext cell stuff which changes door ref, and make 2 int cells so that I don't have to do the enable/disable route in the interior too.@Arthmoor, yeah, kinda what I meant. Just enable holly shrubs around the area. I probably won't disable anything to do with landscaping.

Ok, I just had to re-say it the way I wanted to hear it, and if it's the same thing, perfect.

More on this later when I get to this part of building it.

Thanks! :)

Tasty stuff.You should do a retex of the male deer in white and call it a reindeer and have it outside somewhere. :)

What makes you think I haven't thought of that already? :)I also have a sleigh someone made for me.

Not ready yet but I would like to find some way to add a "jingle bells" sound bite into the mod somewhere. :lol:

I wouldn't have thought adding a small sound bite to be that hard, voice overs are huge and many mods have those all over the place. :shrug:

That I can't help with. :((My smart ass response would be to make a normal NPC and then kill them but don't let their spirit escape...)