[RELz/WIPz] Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

Arthmoor

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

Version: 2.1.3
By the Unofficial Patch Project Team

These files are no longer available for download - please use the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch instead.

Requires Skyrim version 1.9.32.0.8 or greater, and the official Dawnguard DLC.

USKP Discussion Forum on AFK Mods

This mod is an effort to fix the vast amount of bugs currently existing in Skyrim. If you're experiencing a bug with Skyrim, please report the bug to us in as much detail as possible on the USKP bugtracker. Use the "Dawnguard DLC" version tag to mark Dawnguard issues with. Please use search to ensure that you aren't submitting something that is already there. Please also confirm that the bug you are reporting happens with no mods other than the unofficial patches installed. A lot of Skyrim bugs are actually the result of other mods doing things they're not supposed to. Thank you and we hope you have a better Skyrim experience!

(Note that all fixes are retroactive unless otherwise noted)

Frequently Asked Questions - BUGS
Frequently Asked Questions - About the Project
Mods Made Obsolete by Unofficial Patches
Bug Fixes Recommended in Addition to the Unofficial Patches

Actor Fixes

• Corrected Orthjolf and Ronthil having the incorrect templates set (Orthjolf was set to use a missile template but had no bow; Ronthil received a bow during DLC1VQ08 but was set to a magic template).
  • Lord Harkon never wears his sword due to a faulty setting on his combat style. His essential instance (the one you never actually fight with) is now using a combat style that will make him wear it. (Bug #19427)

Audio Fixes

• Created a missing line for MaleCondescending (Sound/Voice/Dawnguard.esm/MaleCondescending/DLC1RV06_DLC1RV06SpouseTop_000058C7_1.fuz).
  • Lord Harkon's generic hellos and goodbyes were assigned in the wrong quest. (Sound\Voice\Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp\DLC1MaleUniqueHarkon\DLC1DialogueVampireBase__00002F9F_1.fuz, Sound\Voice\Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp\DLC1MaleUniqueHarkon\DLC1DialogueVampireBase__00002F9A_1.fuz, Sound\Voice\Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp\DLC1MaleUniqueHarkon\DLC1DialogueVampireBase__00002F9B_1.fuz, Sound\Voice\Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp\DLC1MaleUniqueHarkon\DLC1DialogueVampireBase__00002F9C_1.fuz, Sound\Voice\Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp\DLC1MaleUniqueHarkon\DLC1DialogueVampireBase__00002F9D_1.fuz, Sound\Voice\Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp\DLC1MaleUniqueHarkon\DLC1DialogueVampireBase__00002F9E_1.fuz) (Bug #19416)

Item Fixes

• Armor add-ons DLC1VampireBootsAA and DLC1KeeperDragonplateBootsAA had incorrect footstep sounds. (Bug #19355)
  • Numerous armor add-ons that were hiding amulets and shouldn't, along with numerous add-ons that display them and shouldn't, have been corrected.

Magic, Skill & Perk Fixes

• DLC1FortifyMarksmanFFSelf is incorrectly set to use the Restoration school. (Bug #18867)
  • Transforming into a Vampire Lord in Castle Volkihar makes the occupants hostile due to a missing flag on DLC1StaggerPushFFSelfArea. (Bug #19426)

Mesh and Texture Fixes

• Bad collision on a hallway piece for Dawnguard's castle. (meshes\dlc01\dungeons\castle\lghalls\caslghallstair01.nif) (Bug #19009)

Quest Fixes

• Gunmar and Sorine deliver their post greetings after Kindred Judgment more than once due to the "say once" bug. Tracking variables have been added to prevent them from doing so. (Bug #19363)
  • Corrected several of Serana's combat lines that were intended for dragons but were appearing when she fought anything due to misplaced "OR" conditions.
  • Hello topics for the occupants of Castle Volkihar were putting generic ones before their quest related ones, resulting in them being blocked.

Placement/Layout/Ownership and other World Object Fixes

• 03010355, 03010356, 03010357, 03014763, 03014765, 03014769, 0301476A, 0301476D, 03014770: Sacks and and barrels clipping with each other. (Bug #19423)
  • 03010359: Barrel clipping with a wall. (Bug #19424)
  • 0300C8DA: Chest that was clipping with a wall. Decreased the scale slightly to prevent the clipping. (Bug #19430)
  • 0301358C: Burial urn that was clipping with a wall. (Bug #19431)
  • 03013741, 0301874C: Barrels that were clipping with crates. (Bug #19436, Bug #19432)
  • 0301366C, 03018739: Moved a crossbow trap and the barrel it is placed on to avoid clipping with a support beam. (Bug #19433)
  • 0301367C, 0301368F: Barrels that were placed too close to other barrels. (Bug #19435, Bug #19434)

The complete changelog is available here.

Thus, the beta cycles for the individual patches comes to an end. Unification Day is Coming!

• 1 month later...

Make sure you grab the re-upped 1.1.3 package too. A rogue edit slipped the net and it would have broken the house purchasing quest.

• 4 weeks later...

Beta for 1.1.4 is up. Second post has the details. Especially interested in making sure the new retro-script system works properly before it gets deployed to the USKP in the next update cycle.

• 5 weeks later...

i need help with kindred judgement it wont start after i pick upp the bow can you fix it i have reed manny have that problem but no one have fix it

and setstage DLC1VQ07 200 and DLC1VQ08 10 dosent work

We can't fix issues that don't present themselves during testing. So far as I'm aware, everyone on the team who has played Dawnguard was able to complete all of the quests without running into the problems being reported. I would therefore assume it to be some sort of conflict with another mod that none of us happen to be using.

Beta version 1.2.0 is up. Take note that the UDGP is now shipping with string localization.

Translation strings will be required for French, Spanish, German, and Italian before this can proceed to live release status. Other languages are welcome but will NOT hold up the transition to live release if they are not ready when the time comes.

Since this is going to be a regular thing now, anyone who wants to be designated as an official contact for a particular translation can feel free to speak up and I'll make a note of who to contact for betas.

Since this is going to be a regular thing now, anyone who wants to be designated as an official contact for a particular translation can feel free to speak up and I'll make a note of who to contact for betas.

Hello Arthmoor,

I already posted the links for the German string files on the official Beth Forum.

Dawnguard Strings

Dragonborn Strings

Since Scharesoft and I are translating the unofficial patches since the very beginning, we would like to sign up as the official German translators.

The translations are based on our Skyrim Director's Cut string files which provide thousands of fixes for the German localization.

Hello Arthmoor,

I already posted the links for the German string files on the official Beth Forum.

Dawnguard Strings

Dragonborn Strings

Since Scharesoft and I are translating the unofficial patches since the very beginning, we would like to sign up as the official German translators.

The translations are based on our Skyrim Director's Cut string files which provide thousands of fixes for the German localization.

Excellent, thanks. I'll get these into the folder ASAP and make a note to contact you in the future.

Just out of curiosity, what methods are you guys using to translate the string files? It doesn't seem like there's actually a solid plan in place for doing this sort of thing yet.

Nico is apparently doing the French ones manually, which for now will work for the DLCs but the USKP is much too large to do that. Are any of the tools mentioned on the official forums serving the purpose?

TESVTranslator is an excellent tool for translating mods. You can directly edit the string files without touching the ESP itself. This eliminates the risk of corrupting records like it is the case in every other translation tool I have tested. The manipulation of the string files works fine. I tested my translations with the CK and TES5Edit and couldn't find any errors so far.

But translating the USKP the first time is a PITA. When the tool can't find a direct match (which is the case for all text fixes) you have to click through every single string and choose the correct translation from the heuristic search suggestions (or translate it manually). There is an option to automatically choose the best heuristic match, but I wouldn't recommend that because the heuristic translation is not always correct and of course some text fixes could be relevant for the German version as well. 

Looking through all the strings is exhausting, but you have to do it only once. The Translator creates a custom dictionary for the mod, so in the next update you only have to translate some newly added records and text fixes. The rest will be translated automatically.

After the translation I would replace the English voice files with German equivalents and clean the USKP with TES5Edit because most records which are pure text changes in the English version are ITMs in the German version. But I guess these last two steps are not possible in a multilingual plugin.

Nico is apparently doing the French ones manually, which for now will work for the DLCs but the USKP is much too large to do that. Are any of the tools mentioned on the official forums serving the purpose?

The "TES5Edit only" method is 100% safe but really, really laborious. It's rather fast to translate Unofficial DLCs Patches in this way as there are rather 'few' records (and thus strings) to handle.

Translating the USKP 1.2.4 in this way took me about 20 hours, but only for the proper final release. I'd say that using the unproper 'automated translation' from TES5Edit 3.0.2.6 first led me to crappy results. I'd say that the complete USKP 1.2.4 port (with wrong experiments) took me about 60+ hours, and that's why I'm now very suspicious about automated translation tools.

TESVTranslation, however, looks different as it doesn't touch stringsIDs in any way, nor handles strings generations. It is based upon text (and exclusively text) by using a dictionnary that users have to build at least for the first translation. The next ones only require a rather reasonable manual update to achieve them. On a new USKP release the automation process handles 98+ % of the translation.

And yes, as PlanB said, translating the USKP for the first time is a pita, should it be done with TES5Edit (done on the french side) or TESVTranslation.

McGuffin and I are both french and I'm in contact with him, I'm still suspicious about his tool but I have to admit that it's because of a lack of knowledge. I need time to use and test his tool properly, and the problem is that i already have a RL and a french community to handle. But the firsts trials I made are very, very impressive and promising. I need more time.

BTW, Arthmoor, McGuffin thinks you have access to an unreleased version of TES5Edit as the english set of strings for USKP 1.3.0 looks slightly different in his taste. This is about identical texts in different records. Can you confirm that TES5Edit now creates as much strings as records, and doesn't "merge" records containing the same text to only one string entry ? (I hope you understand what I mean)

McGuffin seems very competent, his knowledge in programming and his english level (including technical vocabulary) are pretty high. You should really consider talking to him.

He is rather discreet and humble on Beth's forums as there are many "jedi programmers" (Wrinklyninja, Zilav, etc...) that are sometimes hard with issue-takers. Criticism can sometimes shoot and he is not someone looking for conflicts. I think the best thing to do is to invite him here, as he is the most able to express himself. I'm convinced we can do great things all together.

This whole translation thing is like a black box to me. I know it works, but I have no idea what the process is that makes it work.

The USKP translation using string files had to be abandoned after finding out that compressed BSA files break the text. The mod can't be distributed uncompressed like the other patches because it would be over the size limit on Steam.

I do have access to unreleased testing copies of TES5Edit when they need an extra eye on checking something. I don't know what all is being done behind the scenes there either. That said, all of the recent efforts for this were done on 3.0.28 which is publicly available. And no, I can't confirm or deny what Edit is doing with the strings. That's something you'd have to ask zilav or hlp about.

Why not release USKP with translated string files and forget about Steam until you have figured it out how to make translated USKP work with compressed BSA.  That will go on as long Steam doesn't increase their size limit. :smile: 

I know people will complain about this, but I think most people seems to forget that USKP can be downloaded on DC as guests (not sure if you can do that here though).  I also think that in the long run the game will be more bug free than having abandoned string files for USKP just because of the size limit on Steam.

That many? :o   Wow they do love your contributions Arthmoor that's for sure. :D

Isn't there a way to release USKP with the translated string files into a separate USKP-<language>.esp mod patch that must be loaded last in your loadorder and could even be loaded after the Bashed Patch.