Helpful Links and References

smr1957

From Bethesda Game Studios:

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1719782889414357000

"We've been hard at work on 
@StarfieldGame
 updates and will be putting our next one into Steam Beta next week.

This update will feature Nvidia DLSS support with frame generation, display and HDR controls for supported systems, and other optimizations and improvements. You'll be able to opt-in to try it via the Steam Beta options. We’d love your feedback before it goes live for all PC and Xbox players after that.

Stay tuned for the specifics soon, and thanks for playing!"

8 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

The correction was unnecessary, as I never posted that the saves are inherently different in the manner in which they are made, nor does it state that there are anywhere in the post. The point of the post is that people should not rely on just auto or quick saves - not how the saves are constructed.  Because, as of now, I see far, far, too many people posting about problems who have relied upon only auto or quick saves and as a result, they were unable to roll back so as to fix issues that occurred in their game.

Right.

image.thumb.png.7fc4a1d0aa88b389815bf601dd79a3be.png

That statement that you outlined, you are taking out of context - it in no way, shape, or form infers anything about how saves are formulated, but was a figure of speech - the interpretation is one of your own choosing, And that is all I will comment about it in this thread.  If you wish to discuss it further, then please start your own thread.  Thank you.

Edited by smr1957

It is sitting right there, in context.  It was not removed from its surrounding.  The preceding sentence states quite clearly that some saves cannot be trusted, implying that there is a difference between save files.

So, the larger context does make it appear that you are perpetrating the myth that there are physical differences between save files and that auto saves and quick saves are physically flawed.  And if you are going to perpetuate the myth in your thread, then it needs be addressed in your thread. 

Edited by Scythe Bearer

Scythe is right, the wording on that implies that some saves are better than others - which is not the case. They literally are all equal on a technical level.

While it is true you should not rely solely on the use of Quicksave or Autosave files, it's not because they're technically inferior. It is as you state, because they're limited in number which makes rollback impossible.

The only way any of the files could be objectively bad is if the underlying operating system calls are broken. Which there is no evidence of.

Well, I believe you are both reading it out of context - it is a figure of speech (a basic and oft used literary device) and is not a literal thing.  But to make it more understandable so as to avoid any possible misinterpretation, I will change the wording to "...not all are equally useful."  The important thing is that people understand precisely what is meant with no confusion.

Edited by smr1957

8 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Scythe is right, the wording on that implies that some saves are better than others - which is not the case. They literally are all equal on a technical level.

While it is true you should not rely solely on the use of Quicksave or Autosave files, it's not because they're technically inferior. It is as you state, because they're limited in number which makes rollback impossible.

The only way any of the files could be objectively bad is if the underlying operating system calls are broken. Which there is no evidence of.

The problem - I think - is not the SAVE, it is the quick load.

Quick load seems to be 'optimized' in some ways, I watched this in Fallout 4:

Try this: Make a quick save while you see a mine. Next walk on the mine or try unsuccessful to disarm it. It explodes. If you survive, do a QUICK load of your save you just stored.

The mine will no longer be here, you are in the same (character) state as before the save, but the mine is now missing. In the data, which were not loaded with the quick load the mine no longer exists.

If you instead drop to the menu and then load your quick save, the mine is here again.

So the save is fine, but quick load is in some way optimized and does not load the world state, probably to save time and make it 'quick'.

Now with mines this seems to be no real problem - but do we know what else in the world state is not loaded.

I played Starfield for around 100 hours and had no bugs at all. I usually never use quick load, because I do not like it. Sadly the quick load key cannot be remapped to for example SHIFT+F9. I usually remap the key in games because if you hit quick load inadvertently you can loose a lot of progress. So - maybe my aversion to use quick load helped?

Just my 5 cents...

What you describe is correct but it applies to ALL forms of saves when you reload them without first exiting the game. Makes no difference how you do it. Also worth noting that it only affects the area around the player's default 5x5 cell grid. If you load a save where you're in a different location entirely, the issue doesn't manifest.

It's a long standing engine bug that's existed from Oblivion to Fallout 4 - no credible evidence thus far suggests the bug is still in Starfield.

20 hours ago, smr1957 said:

"...not all are equally useful."

There's a variation available for this old chestnut cracker:

All saves are created equal, but some more than others.

nut-jokes-puns-1.jpeg?w=740&h=389&fit=cr

Naked NPC Fix

One issue that has occurred in the game, is the NPC appearing without clothes.  The fix for this is actually quite simple and may have been posted previously - however, just in case, I am making this post so as to ensure that people are aware of it.  This is linked in Section 5 - General Troubleshooting.

To fix:

1 - Make sure you are in first person mode
2 - Get as close to the effected NPC as possible
3 - make a manual save
4 - open the console (usually the tilde key located directly above the tab key and to the left of the 1 key)
5 - click on the NPC.  The name of the NPC and their Reference FormID number should appear.
6 - Type  disable  
      hit enter
7 - close the console by tapping the tilde key - the NPC should disappear.
8 - Immediately open the console again - the NPC's name and Reference Form ID should still be visible
9 - Type enable
       hit enter
10 - Close the console - the NPC should now appear fully clothed.

As an example: In the case of Johann Baptiste - the New Atlantis UC worker who appears wandering around naked.
You would, while in first person, approach him, make a manual save, and then open the console and select him.  You will see that the following appears:
NPC_ 'NA_ JohannBaptiste' (001874C1)  (PP)
Type disable, hit enter and close the console - he will disappear.  Immediately open the console again - the above shown name and ID should still be visible.
Type enable, hit enter, and close the console.  Johann Baptiste will now appear fully clothed.

This will work for all NPCs - (yes, even the Akila guards).  But, as always when using the console, make a manual save before using - just in case.

Edited by smr1957

I am waiting to see the announcement that Bethesda's new patch will be available for testing on Steam (and on Steam only) - I will post the information here as soon as I see that it is ready. Just remember, that this will be a Beta release and is for testing, so if anyone decides to use it, make a backup save first and consider the test saves to be throwaways.

Patch is available for download on Steam:
Library->Starfield->Properties->Betas.

The drop-down box will now show an available beta.
Select it and the patch should automatically start downloading.

Edited by smr1957

Update Highlights

Nvidia DLSS Support
This update introduces Nvidia DLSS support for our PC players. Compatible Nvidia graphic cards can now use DLSS Super Resolution, Deep Learning Anti-aliasing (DLAA), Nvidia Reflex Low Latency, and DLSS Frame generation. Please note: While DLSS Frame Generation is active, VSync needs to be toggled OFF to see the benefit. We are working to automatically adjust this setting in a future update.

Let Them Eat!
By popular request, we have added the ability to ingest food and drink items upon finding them in the environment. You can enjoy those Chunks immediately or save them for later. The choice is yours.

----

Fixes and Improvements

Performance And Stability
Addressed a number of memory related issues and leaks.
[PC Only] Add some GPU performance optimizations, which will be more impactful on higher end cards.
[PC Only] Improved renderer threading model, improving CPU usage most notably on higher end systems.
Various stability and performance improvements.

Gameplay
Added the ability to eat the food placed in the world
Adjusted stealth to be a bit more forgiving.
Fixed an issue where Andreja’s head would stay permanently cloaked.
Fixed an issue that could prevent players from firing their weapons.
Fixed issues where some NPC could be seen not wearing clothes.
Fixed an issue where already in-progress skill challenges could stop progressing after reaching the Unity and starting a new game.
Fixed an issue that could temporarily prevent opening the inventory or saving after entering the Unity.
PC: Fixed an issue where mouse movement could be choppy.
Fixed a rare issue that could cause the home ship to be lost.
Fixed an issue where the ship services technician might be missing.

Graphics
Addressed an issue with how ambient occlusion appeared in ultrawide resolutions.
Optimized initial shader compilation that occurs on start-up.
Added the ability to adjust Brightness and Contrast in the Display Settings menu.
Added the ability to adjust HDR Brightness provided that the system supports it. (Xbox & Windows 11 only).
Addressed a number of materials that could sometimes present an unintended pattern under certain conditions.
Fixed various visual issues related to the new FOV slider options.
Improved the appearance of the eyes on crowd characters.
Addressed a number of minor visual issues related to lighting, shadows, terrain, and vegetation.

Quests
All That Money Can Buy: Fixed a rare issue where players couldn’t sit during the negotiation with Musgrove.
Blast Zone: Fixed an issue where the hard rocks that need to be cleared out by players will not appear on Ngodup Tate’s land.
Echoes of the Past: Fixed an issue where the Grylloba Queen could sometimes not be reachable during the objective “Secure the Shuttle Bay”.
Eye of the Storm: Fixed an issue where players' quest progression could potentially be blocked due to a missing docking prompt.
Grunt Work: Addressed an issue where progress could appear blocked if “Supra et Ultra” was completed while returning to the Lodge during “High Price to Pay”.
No Sudden Moves: Fixed an issue that could prevent the entrance door to the Scow ship from being opened again.
Operation Starseed: Fixed an issue where the key that is needed to exit the facility could sometimes not be present.
Sabotage: Fixed an issue where David Barron could potentially not be found by players.
Short Sighted: Fixed an issue where players could rarely become control-locked while speaking with Vladimir.
The Heart of Mars: Fixed an issue where players might not be able to mine the “The Heart of Mars”.

There is also this:

Courtesy of Vlad 254

"Anyone in the forums complaining there modded game is broken who also uses SFSE should not install the Beta Patch.

According to ianpatt they will not be updating SFSE for beta patches.

"My expectation is that the beta will be updated frequently, so I'm currently thinking no. Bethesda will want reports from an unmodded environment, anyway."

When the update releases later this month SFSE will be updated."

Starfield Script Extender (SFSE)

Edited by smr1957

On 11/2/2023 at 3:35 PM, Arthmoor said:

What you describe is correct but it applies to ALL forms of saves when you reload them without first exiting the game. Makes no difference how you do it. Also worth noting that it only affects the area around the player's default 5x5 cell grid. If you load a save where you're in a different location entirely, the issue doesn't manifest.

It's a long standing engine bug that's existed from Oblivion to Fallout 4 - no credible evidence thus far suggests the bug is still in Starfield.

Just had one report from Vlad 254 (a very reliable source) of this bug occurring in Starfield (pure vanilla game, only Beta Patch installed).  Though this is just one report, and more information is needed, it would be good if people were on the lookout for this and could confirm if they are indeed experiencing this in their game.

The issue was a workbench that suddenly stopped working at one of his outposts.  He tried all the usual fixes (fast traveling and returning, etc.), and then loaded an earlier save made just prior to the issues occurring, and the issue remained even with that earlier save.  Upon saving, exiting the game and then reloading his last save, the issue was resolved.

As said, one report does not necessarily make it so (even from an extremely reliable source), but it may indicate a possibility that this situation could still be present in Starfield.  As said, more information and evidence is needed.

Edited by smr1957

Game just had another update:

Beta 1.8.84

Full updates notes for the Beta Patch can be found here:

Starfield Beta Update 1.8.83 Notes - November 8, 2023 (bethesda.net)

Arthmoor also keeps a complete listing here on AFK:

[Starfield] Official Patch 1.8.83

For those wishing to provide feedback regarding the Beta Patch, there is this from Bethesda:

"For those participating and interested in providing us feedback, please visit #steam-beta-feedback on our official Discord Server."

Edited by smr1957

• 3 weeks later...

STARFIELD BETA UPDATE 1.8.87

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

GAMEPLAY:
Addressed an issue that would cause space matter to become stuck to player's ship during space travel. Loading a save will now remove the space clingon. Please note: This fix should address any space matter being stuck in your travels, but not in instances where player ships have New Atlantis attached. A fix for that will be released in a later update.

OUTPOST:
Fixed an issue that prevents random guns from spawning in a newly created Weapon Case after loading a save.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good day, all!

Tomorrow, January 17, Bethesda will be releasing their latest Beta update, for Steam only.  This is, for now, a completely optional update and one must opt in to receive it.  To opt in, right click on Starfield in your game library, select properties from the drop down menu, click Betas on the left hand side of the box that appears, and then, for Beta Participation, in the small selection box on the right, click on that and select "beta - Beta."  Then close.

Remember, however, that if you are using plugin mods or SFSE, they will not work with the the Beta update.  Beta participation is completely voluntary, however, so do not feel that you must participate if you do not wish to.

Good luck!

@smr1957

The actual release of the Beta has been delayed.  From Bethesda's Discord (https://discord.gg/bethesdastudios):

Hey everyone, the team discovered an issue they want to address before releasing the above update into the Steam Beta. We're aiming to release it later this week but we'll confirm timing when we know for sure. Thanks for your patience! @Starfield News

Edited by Scythe Bearer

Beta Update should be released tomorrow (Thursday, January 18) morning:

From Bethesda Game Studios on X:

"Update: the issue has been resolved and the Steam Beta for our next update will be going live tomorrow morning. Stay tuned for the full patch notes when it opens!"