[RELz] Alternative Beginnings

Arthmoor

Oh look, issues.

So, in the interests of not spending forever and an age before going to play RST, I loaded up Astarius, who you may recall is something like 2 years old. Among other tidbits, it turns out I was totally right about the whole "Don't do a straight replacement of AFK_Weye 1.21 with AFK_Weye 2.0" thing. But that's not what I'm concerned with.

So, I'm wandering around Cloud Ruler Temple, and out pops Montora, gives me the key to Geldall's place, which, ok, obviously I never did that path, but sounds cool. He said some shit, but I have no idea what it was because I'm sick and have a 5 second attention span right now. Might want a journal entry there so that I'll remember.

Besides that:- How's the house ownership set up? Ruined-Tail wouldn't set foot in the place, which I assume has to do with some sort of ownership issue.

- Geldall's bed? Not owned by me.

- Montora's chest in CRT is like twice the size of the rest of the chests. Assuming RST didn't for some reason shrink them, you may want to fix that. It's also out of alignment.

He's intentionally giving you run of the manor because you've passed the point in the MQ (obviously) where you've brought Martin to CRT. It doesn't matter that you didn't follow that beginning.

Cell ownership is set to Playerfaction. That's supposed to make it companion friendly etc.

Why do I always manage to forget the beds? At least it's just the one bed, but it's not going to fix itself if you've already talked to Montora.

Nope, the chest is my error. So was his bed being slightly out of alignment. Can't fix it being turned the wrong direction though.

None of this being critical enough to warrant an update over it right now though.

I assume you're only supposed to get access to the crypt if you followed the beginning then?And I dunno. Maybe it's specific to Ruin. All I know is, he wouldn't set foot in the place. Stole the horse just fine though.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.2.5

* The bed in Geldall's manor did not convert to player ownership along with the rest of the manor.

* Captain Montora's chest and bed at Cloud Ruler were misaligned.

It's probably specific to Ruin. He's refused to follow me into a few places he otherwise ought to. It's also not a wise idea to take him to a DB sanctuary. They seem to hate each other with a passion and since Ruin is essential.....The crypt is only accessible once Captain Montora hands over the key to the place.

• 1 month later...

On the off chance that anyone is interested I'm creating a patch between ALB and Kvatch Rebuilt that will allow for a game start where the Emperor is still alive and Kvatch is still in one piece. If anyone has any pitfalls, suggestions, or obscure things to mention that need addressing, speak up. :)

I've already got the system patched to toggle KR's completed version of the city on at the beginning along with toggling off the refugee camp at the bottom of the hill. I've closed up conditions to keep the NPCs from discussing the downfall of the city and have their AI jerry-rigged to get them into the city where they belong. The Emperor will be getting face time on a throne above the Elder Council chamber, but at the moment has nowhere to sleep or eat since Bethesda didn't think to allow that. I'll even have Geldall alive at his manor for completeness.

Don't go crazy asking for massive worldspace alterations or something, the CSE still isn't feeling cooperative in that area so I've stuck to interior hacking and scripting to get this going.

I was following that thread with interest. I'd love to see a start with Kvatch intact and not by having to do all the work myself, as long as it doesn't stray too far from lore (like some of the suggestions). Interesting though that even if one never planned on doing the MQ again (like me) it would still be dependent on KR, which is kinda redundant in that way. I'd prefer, but I know you won't, a newly built Kvatch to start with, if one does the MQ it falls like normal, then one could add KR to rebuild it after. Oh, I guess I just went crazy and asked for a massive worldspace alteration. My bad. :redface:

What would happen to existing characters when one updates to this version? Would the new Kvatch be there? What if you've visited the refugee camp and started that quest (even when you didn't mean to)?

Do you still need those ground meshes?

It's dependent on KR because KR provides the completed Kvatch worldspace and has methods in place to toggle things out and then back in again. I would be more than happy to have a whole new worldspace for it, complete with different NPCs and everything but as I said, the CSE won't play along with such desires. Unless someone else wants to do it, but crafting an entire city out of nothing only to have it gone in a relatively short time would seem wasteful.

Keep in mind that although the Emperor starts alive and Kvatch starts in one piece, the Emperor will still die and there's nothing you can do to prevent that when the time comes. You can either participate or not in the sequence leading to his death (which works btw, quite nicely even) or you can ignore it all and he'll die anyway and you'll find the dead adventurer in the usual place. Once he's dead, Kvatch is destroyed and the game will run it from there as normal, and KR will eventually kick in on its own at the appropriate time.Also, yes, those ground meshes will still be necessary if people would like the area to start with unburned ground.

Oh, then I've completely misunderstood the intent. You're going to put Kvatch in for a limited time? The Emperor's death will happen anyway whether you want it to or not or whether you trigger it or not? Eh..I thought this scenario would be more of an MQ Delayer.

I would have loved to see this too, but I'm not sure I'm going to be playing Oblivion again. I only play it for testing now, and the stutter is so bad, it's unplayable. I don't know what happened - I suspect Skyrim has affected it in some way. Or I had gotten used to ignoring it and now I see the difference with Skyrim being silky smooth..Anyway I digress. If I play Oblivion again, I would definitely include this to have a non-ruined Kvatch to start.

Oh then I've completely misunderstood the intent. You're going to put Kvatch in for a limited time? The Emperor's death will happen anyway whether you want it to or not or whether you trigger it or not? Eh..I thought this scenario would be more of an MQ Delayer.

Yes, because some events you can't prevent by handwaving them away. This will be triggered by gaining fame, so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the city and wander around or whatever people would normally do with an MQ delayer mod. Once the trigger is reached though, the courier will be dispatched and then you'll have ~3 days to decide whether or not you want to try and help or just blow it off. Either way, Uriel dies, Kvatch is invaded, and you can go get the amulet at Fort Ash at your leisure.

My personal opinion of delayers that require you to commit a crime and deliberately get caught is that they're just plain silly. Why would you do that if you happen to be playing a law abiding citizen? Even if you're roleplaying a criminal, why would you want to intentionally get caught?

Your character wouldn't know the Emperor is about to be assassinated unless they were in on the plot. Which, btw, would be quite the awesome twist on an alt-start now that I think about it :P

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.3

* Added a variant plugin which alters the game start so the Emperor is alive, Kvatch is intact, and these events trigger some time AFTER you've been playing for awhile. Kvatch Rebuilt 2.1 or higher is required for this variant.

* Fixed a broken dialogue link during the prison sequence so that Baurus' final conversation does not disengage and go immediately back to an inaccurate greeting.

Yeah, a one line update that doesn't really do it justice. It's pretty cool if I do say so myself. Do keep in mind too that I may not have found all of the dialogue that could involve the Emperor being dead and/or Kvatch being a smoldering ruin. If you happen to find one, and it's a vanilla dialogue sequence, nab a screenshot and let me know and I'll deal with them as they come up.

I can't do anything about other mods that operate from the assumption that all of this has taken place. Or, well, more precisely I'm not going to make patches to deal with that :P

• 7 months later...

Version 1.4

* The necromancer and vampire starts will now permit you to use the starting areas as simple living spaces, complete with one safe storage container each for your valuables.

* For the Kvatch variant, the script that removes the shaman's ring could crash the game and has been corrected to prevent this.

* The Left for Dead start option in my Skyrim mod has been backported with 5 random selections.

• 1 month later...

Version 1.4.1

* Salomon and Renee Geonette have dialogue mentioning the Emperor's death which has now been conditioned to show up later.

* Forgot to run the ESP through cleaning for 1.4. Oops.

* Added a bow and arrows to the Septim Manor for those who prefer ranged weaponry.

* The Left For Dead start did not have the "complete quest" flag set.

• 6 months later...

I just started a new character for DBC awakening.  Had two things happen after the start that probably need to be looked into, if and when you ever have time.

First, when I entered the Cheydinhal sanctuary for the first time, I got asked for the password.  Later on, after killing someone (on a contract) I got the message "your killing has been observed by forces unknown."

• 10 months later...

I notice two things and both are important to know about, but first a request for (1) a "Random starting location" just like you have for Skyrim with the "Surprise Me" option and (2) a voiced Lady of Mara (if possible of course).

I don't know if you have ever thought about it before, but I notice one thing that needs to be mention in both the OP and in the readme and that's about the chargen.

When you start a new game you'll always have the chargen active and you need to finish it before you can do anything else right.

I started a new game yesterday and I could only change the face, hair color, eye color, gender, character name for all races, but the Imperials was the only race I could change hair style for because I began a new game as an Imperial.  However, if you finish the chargen (you must finish it) then do so and click on the chargen statue in front of you, so now you can change anything for all races.  I thought you should know about this.

The other thing I notice is about the starting location menu there you select what your new life would be.  I took a few pictures just to show you what I mean when I say the menu selector is bugged.

ScreenShot0

After you have activated Lady of Mara

ScreenShot1

After you click on the "More options" button

ScreenShot2

Go back to the previous menu

ScreenShot3

You click on the "More options" button and got a journal update

ScreenShot4

After you have slept in the bedroll

These pictures confirms that the "Ranger in a Remote Camp" options is only visible one time, because when I click on the "More Options" and then click on "<Back>" the "Ranger in a Remote Camp" option isn't there.  But that option is there, because when I click on the "More Options"button a second time I got a journal update in which the last confirm.

My conclusion for this menu glitch is that the menu *pages* (if you can call it that) doesn't have the same size I mean if both menu pages have exactly the same size then the "Ranger in a Remote Camp" option should be visible and I think all options can be viewed without having a "More Options" button in the bottom.

Active Clean Mod Files

* 00  Oblivion.esm
* 01  All Natural Base.esm  [Version 1.34]
* 02  Open Cities Resources.esm  [Version 4.1.4]
* 03  Kvatch Rebuilt.esm
* 04  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.4.5]
* 05  UOPS Additional Changes.esp
* 06  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
* 07  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.5.3]
* ++  USIPS Additional Changes.esp
* 08  All Natural.esp  [Version 1.34]
* 09  All Natural - SI.esp  [Version 1.34]
* 0A  All Natural - Real Lights.esp  [Version 1.34]
* 0B  P1DanywhereSittable.esp
* 0C  RAEVWD Cities.esp  [Version 1.9]
* 0D  RAEVWD New Sheoth.esp  [Version 1.7]
* 0E  RAEVWD Imperial City.esp  [Version 1.9]
* 0F  Enhanced Economy.esp  [Version 5.4.3]
* 10  Quest Log Manager.esp  [Version 1.3.2]
* 11  Dynamic Map.esp  [Version 2.1.1]
* 12  Map Marker Overhaul.esp  [Version 3.9.3]
* 13  Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp  [Version 3.9.3]
* 14  DLCSpellTomes.esp
* ++  DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
* ++  MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp
* 15  DLCThievesDen.esp
* 16  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.11]
* 17  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp  [Version 1.0.11]
* 18  Kvatch Rebuilt.esp
* 19  Kvatch Rebuilt Weather Patch.esp
* 1A  MountainShackR13.esp
* 1B  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
* 1C  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.8]
* 1D  DLCFrostcrag.esp
* 1E  DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.8]
* ++  DLCFrostcrag_MysticEmporiumPatch.esp
* 1F  BrumaGuildReconstructed.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
* 20  Knights.esp
* 21  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.3]
* 22  BlackMarsh.esp  [Version 0.0.1]
* 23  ElsweyrAnequina.esp
* ++  ElsweyrAnequina - Races HGEC-Robert.esp  [Version 1.1]
* 24  Roads of Cyrodiil.esp  [Version 1.0]
* 25  Faregyl.esp  [Version 2.0.10]
* 26  Faregyl+Anequina Patch.esp  [Version 2.0]
* 27  Feldscar.esp  [Version 1.0.13]
* 28  Gottshaw Village.esp  [Version 1.0]
* 29  Molapi.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
* 2A  Reedstand.esp  [Version 1.0.3]
* 2B  Urasek.esp  [Version 1.0.4]
* 2C  Vergayun.esp  [Version 2.0.2]
* 2D  xuldarkforest.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
* 2E  xulStendarrValley.esp  [Version 1.2.2]
* 2F  xulTheHeath.esp
* 30  xulEntiusGorge.esp  [Version 1.2.1]
* 31  xulFallenleafEverglade.esp  [Version 1.3.1]
* 32  Anequina-Fallenleaf-Patch.esp
* 33  xulColovianHighlands_EV.esp  [Version 1.2.2]
* 34  xulChorrolHinterland.esp  [Version 1.2.3]
* 35  xulBeachesOfCyrodiilLostCoast.esp  [Version 1.6.5]
* 36  xulBravilBarrowfields.esp  [Version 1.3.5]
* 37  xulLushWoodlands.esp  [Version 1.3.3]
* 38  xulAncientYews.esp  [Version 1.4.4]
* 39  xulAncientRedwoods.esp  [Version 1.6]
* 3A  ROC+Ancient Redwoods.esp  [Version 1.0]
* 3B  xulCloudtopMountains.esp  [Version 1.0.3]
* 3C  xulArriusCreek.esp  [Version 1.1.4]
* 3D  xulPatch_AY_AC.esp  [Version 1.1]
* 3E  xulRollingHills_EV.esp  [Version 1.3.3]
* 3F  xulPantherRiver.esp
* 40  xulRiverEthe.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
* 41  xulBrenaRiverRavine.esp  [Version 1.1.1]
* 42  xulImperialIsle.esp  [Version 1.6.8]
* 43  xulBlackwoodForest.esp  [Version 1.1.1]
* 44  xulCheydinhalFalls.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
* 45  KvatchRebuilt-CheydinhalFalls patch.esp
* 46  xulAspenWood.esp  [Version 1.0.3]
* 47  xulSkingradOutskirts.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
* 48  ROC+UL Skingrad Outskirts Patch.esp
* 49  xulSnowdale.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
* 4A  Feldscar+Snowdale Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
* 4B  xulCliffsOfAnvil.esp  [Version 1.1.3]
* 4C  xulSilverfishRiverValley.esp  [Version 1.0.4]
* 4D  xulJerallGlacier.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
* 4E  xulTheEasternPeaks.esp  [Version 1.1.4]
* 4F  ROC+UL-II Patch.esp  [Version 1.0]
* 50  bartholm.esp
* 51  bartholm - EE patch.esp  [Version 4.2]
* 52  Frostcrag Village.esp  [Version 1.0.7]
* 53  Sutch Village.esp  [Version 1.0.3]
* 54  LostCoast + SutchVillage Patch.esp  [Version 1.0]
* 55  Open Cities New Sheoth.esp  [Version 2.0]
* 56  Open Cities Bartholm.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 57  Open Cities Outer Districts.esp  [Version 4.1.4]
* 58  Open Cities Reborn.esp  [Version 1.1.5]
* 59  OCR+ULCH Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.3]
* 5A  ROC+UL-II+OCOD Patch.esp  [Version 1.0]
* 5B  OCR+ULBWForest Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
* 5C  OCR+Cheydinhal Falls Patch.esp  [Version 1.1]
* 5D  OCR+ULSkingradOutskirts Patch.esp  [Version 2.0]
* 5E  Quest Award Leveller.esp
* ++  Quest Award Leveller - Battlehorn Castle.esp
* ++  Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp
* 5F  Alternative Beginnings.esp  [Version 1.4.1]
* 60  RefScope.esp  [Version 2.1.2]
* 61  Oblivion XP.esp
* **  ROC - OCReborn Road Record.esp
* **  All Natural - Indoor Weather Filter For Mods.esp  [Version 1.34]
* ++  ShowRaceMenu StatsFix.esp
* 62  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

If you want someone to test a *full* menu selector then count me in to test it and I haven't done much in-game. :)

• 3 months later...

Version 1.4.2

* Updated the Kvatch Intact add-on for compatibility with Kvatch Rebuilt 3.0.
* If you used the option to look at the second set of start location choices, then went back to the first menu, the "Ranger in a Remote Camp" option would not come back up and attempting to click on "More Options" again would cause the mod to think you picked the ranger start.

• 7 months later...

Version 1.4.3

Further updates to the Kvatch add-on for proper compatibility with Kvatch Rebuilt 3.0.
The Imperial Dungeon sewer exit was not properly setting MQ01 to stage 88 when activated. This would result in MQ01 hanging open for longer than it should, and was not properly following through to set stage 90 which Shivering Isles uses to inform the player about the new island.

* If you used the option to look at the second set of start location choices, then went back to the first menu, the "Ranger in a Remote Camp" option would not come back up and attempting to click on "More Options" again would cause the mod to think you picked the ranger start.

I see hence my report here about this menu option glitch.  Is it possible to fix this, I mean to have the "Ranger in a Remote Camp" option visible regardless how many times you click on the "More Options" buttons and go back over and over again.