Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

So, getting ready to dip back into Skyrim, which I haven't seriously touched for about a year.  About time for me to check out all the DLCs I haven't played and all that.  But I haven't paid attention to most things Skyrim for most of that year, thus:

- I assume our go to program is still Bash.  What new and fun pitfalls and secret rituals are we performing now?  Anything else program-wise I need to care about?

- What should I be looking at for mods?  I was pretty happy with the base game, so I'm not in dramatic want of anything overhaulish, more random cool stuff, or, hell, just about anything people think I should look at.

- Dare I ask what the current state of actual mod making is?

Work starting in less than one minute no time to post anything more than

Line: 30Char: 396Error: 'jpb' is undefinedCode: 0URL: http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/3150-son-of-random-stuff/page-57

EDIT

Code box added to show line breaks, work break ends in less than one minute no time to post anything more!

EDIT2

At home now. For some reason adding the CODE box removed the line breaks that adding it was supposed to ensure would be displayed. I don't like CODE on this forum, it always seems to do stupid things.

CODE contents fixed.

Yep, it's broken in 3.4.1, the current version of the software. They have fixed it already in 3.4.2, which we'll apply as soon as we can.

So, getting ready to dip back into Skyrim, which I haven't seriously touched for about a year.  About time for me to check out all the DLCs I haven't played and all that.  But I haven't paid attention to most things Skyrim for most of that year, thus:

- I assume our go to program is still Bash.  What new and fun pitfalls and secret rituals are we performing now?  Anything else program-wise I need to care about?

- What should I be looking at for mods?  I was pretty happy with the base game, so I'm not in dramatic want of anything overhaulish, more random cool stuff, or, hell, just about anything people think I should look at.

- Dare I ask what the current state of actual mod making is?

Definitely the unofficial patches. Especially for the DLCs. Just don't be surprised if you still find bugs, there are many, and they have no known cause yet.

Bash is still the goto program, but at the moment is limited to merging leveled lists. Nothing else comparable is available. No arcane rituals needed, general install support and mod management matured some time ago.

Get all my stuff. You know you want it :P

Two very nice things to have for the cool factor of them: Wet & Cold and Footprints.

The current state of mod making is chaotic at best. The CK is more or less solid, still has a few rough spots and some occasional crashes, but for the most part will do its job. Nifskope is getting there, but the whole Blender thing is still a disaster.

TES5Edit is of course vital. Clean your DLC. Your game will be much happier for it. Next update for TES5Edit will make it a completely viable tool for conflict resolution and patch creation. The script data has finally been decoded and testing has gone well on that.

Thanks, guys.

Speaking of the CK, anything to do about the interminable error messages from Bethesda's apparently sloppy design?

Slog through them unhindered?

Unfortunately they haven't bothered to fix the actual causes of those errors. Some of which are apparently due to bad meshes.

That's about what I figured.

On another note - hey Andalay, did the moderator icon go missing?  I'm looking at a red X under my name for some reason.  Is this a sign that I'm about to be thrown into the bear pit to kick off the Great Purge of 2013?

That's about what I figured.

On another note - hey Andalay, did the moderator icon go missing?  I'm looking at a red X under my name for some reason.  Is this a sign that I'm about to be thrown into the bear pit to kick off the Great Purge of 2013?

Yup. ;)

Xae replaced all the group icons the other day. I see yours in the directory, so I'll check the path. He moved things around and may have forgotten to fix the path for your group.

Of course you're not going to get thrown into the bear pit.

We don't have a bear pit.

We have a tiger pit.  With sharks.

Yeah I'm not sure how that's supposed to work either. :lmao: I'm guessing our tigers have gills or maybe she meant tiger sharks, which are nasty.

Is there lava under there too?  Because if you're going Bond villain, you may as well go big or go home.

I just assumed it was a swamp.

Like the rest of this place

*Hits the deck.*

In installing Bash for the first time in a year, it's...interesting to see how much of that giant UI discussion from a year ago actually happened.

Also, if it doesn't take 5 external programs and 3 hours of downloading to get set up, you're probably not playing a real game.

Also, Nexus, WTF is your issue today?

Really? Where's the fun in that? Maybe it won't install right, then there'll be something to fuss about. I found that 303 fails to install correctly if you only choose stand-alone, I had to install again including the python versions to get stand-alone to fully install. Also 303 lacks up-to-date changelogs, so check the Beth thread for the latest changes. Additionally, sometimes 303 complains that the Oblivion data folder is locked by another program (in Windows 7 at least), exiting Wrye Bash and relaunching should stop that behaviour.

Oddly, 303 dropped right in for me just now.  Works pretty good.  Installers tab is still a hog though, so I guess the whole BAIT thing from a year ago never happened along with all that UI that never happened.  Oh well.

Now to figure out what I was doing before my day went from Skyrim install to hot water heater installing.  Cleaning, I think?  Deciding if cleaning Update.esm was a good idea?  I think that was it.

Well, that's neat, Bash.  You swore to me you were uninstalling my previous versions, and sure enough, I have a nice install of 303 for Skyrim.  Oblivion is apparently still rolling with 296 though, so...that's interesting, I guess?

Also, I'd like a TES5Edit icon, Bash.  WHERE IS MY EDIT ICON.

Which, straight in your Skyrim directory is a dumb place for it, if we're being honest about it.

Which is why, because since Bash does everything harder than it needs to be, you can do the copy bash_default.ini to bash.ini and go in and manually add it with a different path after uncommenting some shit, because GUI options for this are for losers.

However, critically to my last post, this only works right if you type the path right.

Autodetection, how hard could it be.