TES V: Skyrim

AndalayBay

Time to start a new thread then. And let's start it off with a rant.Arthmoor, I believe you responded in this thread? Well you know what the kicker is? I reported all of those mods on March 30. Nice eh? Our Morrowind guys found that and wanted to use the weapons until they realized they were straight ports. No wonder the guy is laughing his ass off.As I said in one of the Return to Morrowind threads: I'm sure it's based on the impact. Straight port with no effort - no problem. Spend hundreds of hours on a full mod and you're fucked. I'm not impressed.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Thomas Kaira

• AndalayBay

• Ysne58

Except that I had done that on March 30! That is the problem with the SW reporting system though - you can't specify why you're reporting the file. But even then, the comments were clear that the author had just done a straight port from Morrowind - he bragged about it and said Beth wouldn't do anything about it.

Not sure what you're meaning by that last line of your post.That issue though is going to be a problem the longer it's ignored by Bethesda. Spending years telling people they can't port content from previous games, and then ignoring it outright when it's brought to their attention right under their noses. If it isn't addressed promptly, it's going to leave a very bitter taste in everyone's mouths. Especially when the uploader is being so blatant about ignoring the complaints and openly saying he doesn't care about copyright.

Precisely. If you're referring to my OP, it was in regards to Morroblivion. They've actually replaced a lot of the meshes, if not all, with originals and they're still banned from Beth. This guy is bragging about doing straight ports and nothing is being done. The whole thing leaves a very bitter taste, as you said. Even though you can't say why you're reporting a file, at the time I reported it, the most recent comments were complaints about his copyright violations and his replies to those complaints. If he had made any attempt to deny the allegations, you could understand it taking a little longer to remove the files. But given his replies, I can't understand why they weren't removed immediately. Unless nobody really gives a shit, of course. Maybe the SW reports are ignored. One of the moderators claims that they've reported the files to Gstaff, so we'll see what happens now.

Yep. I think if I were the Moroblivion guys right now I'd be seething about this. Although from what I've seen, they don't stand to lose anything since they never actually stopped doing what they were doing. They just stopped doing it in public.I reported the files too, and when I was there, plenty of nasty posts from the guy about how he didn't care about copyright and didn't care even if his accounts were banned. I've also sent a report to GStaff about it. So we'll see.

Eh, it worried me a bit when I saw the guy writing 'copyright is a lie' on the Bethsoft thread. Bethesda needs to come down on this sort of stuff hard and fast because its not the attitude that deserves to get a foothold in community. If actual copyright laws aren't respected how can 'modder codes' such as only using other peoples work with permission be expected to be followed?

Apparently theft was pretty rampant in the Fallout community. It appears that that attitude has now joined us in Skyrim as the two communities merge.

Yeah, from what I've ever seen, F:NV is swimming in people stealing old FO3 mods and porting them over. Bethesda' practically facilitated that by recycling 65% of the resource pool. Including DLC resources.Thankfully that sort of direct usage is impossible with Oblivion mods or we'd be drowning in it by now.

In case people missed it' date=' and you probably did if you didn't read past the "Kinect for Xbox" title .... DLC is coming too! (bottom of the article)
I'll be more interested when they actually announce release for PC.

We've already got modders who have sorted the inventories out, we already have our menu quick-keys, we can completely customize how our map functions in the INI, and we even have modders working on voice commands, too, which I would hardly call essential.The only things worth it to us out of all that are better follower controls and if applicable, more hotkeys.Can I hear more about this DLC, please?

Yep, totally missed the almost buried DLC mention. One had to figure they must have been working on something all this time other than patches.Here's to hoping the patch to make that DLC available will also have the navmesh bug fixed.

I'm pretty sure steam pulled another stealth update today. My skyrim.esm and update.esm files both disappeared from my skyrim file. And now none of the mods I had installed are installed anymore. Probably lost some saves too.

That seems like considerably more than what stealth updates are capable of. Especially since they don't update Skyrim.esm when they do these. Unless they've changed their habits or something.

This isn't the first time I've had those two files just disappear like this. It is the first time the other installed mods have not shown up in the data files even though they are in the data folder after doing a file verification to get those two files back.

No idea. Steam has been sitting quiet for the last hour or so I've had it on and it hasn't attempted any sort of update in that time.

So a bit of good news. Back during the CK beta an issue was raised about mismatched NPC facegen textures. The devs said it was being looked into but that until it was fixed, NPCs added by ESP files would not have correct data.Somewhere along the way in the last month, it got fixed. The procedure originally listed for testing:

Locate some pre-existing NPC. I chose Hadvar. Edit the Actor > Character Gen Parts tab. I decided to make a drastic lip color change Click MaleHeadNord_Lips.dds in the left-sice "Face Tint Layers" list Click "Select Color" - choose something extreme, like a neon green Slide "Interpolation Value" all the way to the right (1.0) Click OK In the Object Window, find the base Actor you've just edited. With the Actor(s) selected, press ctrl+F4. Click "Yes" when prompted to export. This will create a DDS and a TGA in ...SyrimdataTexturesActorsCharacterFaceGenDataFaceTintSkyrim.esm Note: The TGA is not really neccessary, as the DDS should be uncompressed. With these textures in place, run the game and test your NPC. Note that the plugin changes need not be saved.
Simplies down to this now to export NPC face data:
In the Object Window, find the base Actor you've just edited.With the Actor(s) selected, press ctrl+F4. Click "Yes" when prompted to export.
The resulting files will end up inmeshesActorsCharacterFaceGenDataFaceGeomtexturesActorsCharacterFaceGenDataFaceTintThe tga files generated into the folder can be deleted. So even though it isn't a completely perfect fix, the procedure is relatively painless and works inside of a BSA file too. Be aware though that the CK will not gather these files when making an archive. You have to drag them in manually.

The missing esm files was caused by Beth/Steam.The mod disconnect was caused by NMM. So was the statement that because the esms were missing I must be a pirate. Totally unnecessary and really pissed me off, both of those issues.

NMM deleted all your mods because they assumed you were a pirate?
Not delete, disconnected them from the loading/data files so the mods wouldn't launch. Even though they were still in the data folder, not one of them showed up in either the plugins screen on NMM or as installed from the skyrim launcher. The only files listed were the skyrim.esm and the update.esm. In order to get them to be available, I had to one by one, uninstall and then re-install each mod.

Odd. That sound like whatever happened rewrote the plugins.txt file when it did that. I don't know how the internals of NMM work, but I could swear Wrinklyninja said that if plugins.txt gets changed without the utilities knowing about it, things would get messed up. The mods would still exist, but the file wouldn't be getting properly updated or something to that affect.

Odd. That sound like whatever happened rewrote the plugins.txt file when it did that. I don't know how the internals of NMM work' date=' but I could swear Wrinklyninja said that if plugins.txt gets changed without the utilities knowing about it, things would get messed up. The mods would still exist, but the file wouldn't be getting properly updated or something to that affect.[/quote']That sounds like what happened. And NMM did it deliberately, I am sure.