[WIPz:Oblivion] AFK_Arena

Dwip

Because there needs to be a thread for discussion.More or less, here's what I'm fixing to change:- Retextured exterior and interior.- New capes for combatants.- New weapons 1, 2, and more.- Various cosmetic and bugfixes to the standard arena matches.- New random matches while betting - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and more.- New high-level arena contenders who can challenge the player.- New high-stakes betting for large sums.- Possible new tavern in the Arena district.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dwip

• Conner

• Arthmoor

• Hana

Top Posters In This Topic

And a post made in one of the old threads:So, AFK_Arena blathering for a bit. One of the things I want to do is set up a system where, once you become Grand Champion, once every so often somebody will challenge you for your title. So I've got eight new gladiators with names. The idea is for them to have unique weapons and possibly armor, since challengers can fight with whatever they please. I'm tossing out my list of gladiators here to see if any of y'all have suggestions for the armor and weapons bit. Also if my ideas are horridly dumb, do tell me. Flashy name ideas, other gladiators welcome. Blue Team Champions: - Kera the Viper (Redguard female) - light raiment? Dagger of Venom (unknown model, some sort of enchantment that applies a weak/medium poison variation 10% of the time or so) - Hazikar (Khajiit female) - hand to hand fighter, probably some sort of kung-fu clothing garb enchanted with HTH or fatigue plusses. - Gilrinor the Eagle-Eye (Bosmer male) - archer, will be wielding the Hawthorn bow from here with some sort of different enchantment (probably drain or damage health over time) plus Arrows of Entanglement (Drain Speed/Burden debuff). Dunno the armor. - Kharz the Mighty (Orc male) - heavy armor two-handed blade wielder. Probably full orcish plus some kind of zweihander/flamberge, model unknown. Yellow Team Champions: - Hjarald Bull-Roar (Nord male) - will have that two-handed axe I just made, plus a bear fur cape, but will otherwise fight naked. There must be a naked Nord SOMEWHERE. - Spyridon (Imperial male) - Remember the bronze kopis I made? That. I'd also really like to put him in something resembling this armor, but I don't know if I can get there from here. - Adrawen (Altmer female) - Mage. I'm unsure as to what sort of custom gear to give her at all. Suggestions welcome. - Quick-Hands (Argonian female) - Some sort of unknown shortsword, no shield, dunno the armor, will also have conjuration magic.

+1 for a tavern in the Arena District. I wouldn't even mind seeing some sort of nominal Fighters Guild presence there.

I swear I commented on the participants at some point. Where did we discuss this before? With my luck probably over on the unsearchable blog. I specifically remember saying Quick-Hands should be a hand-to-hand combat fighter, plus other stuff.

It's somewhere in the middle of Revamping Old Mods. Switch Hazikar and Quick-Hands, I believe you said. You also hated Spyridon's name. Don't remember what else.

Also, re: tavern, some of the things I was thinking about for it:- Rough sort of place, very lower class for the most part.- Possible dog fighting arena if I feel like actually coding that.- Probable Thieves' Guild presence.- This is where the various Arena challengers would live and hang out normally.- Some lower class beds available. Might be cool to have the possibility to get mugged, maybe not, tons to code.- Probably have a suite for the Grand Champion free of charge, with decidedly better furnishings than the rest of the place.- Not sure if I can do dancers ala Suran, but it would be cool.

I don't think I like "Quick-Hands" as a name, it really sounds like you just couldn't come up with a name. I could see So-n-so Quick-Hands, but just Quick-Hands by itself? Really? :shrug:Re: tavern: Overall sounds like a great idea. Dog fighting isn't bad, cock fighting would work too. So, all the Blue & Yellow team cited above reside in the same tavern and drink together by night while they oppose each other by day? Getting mugged is reasonable, but I can't say it'd be so cool to be the victim. A free suite for the Grand Champion is a nice touch. Dancers are good too.

For real? I could understand if we were talking about names that basically translate out that way from tribal naming schema but as their name in the primary language of the world? Bethesda must've been really struggling to come up with names at some point. :(

Well, you get your two types. On the one hand, using stock Oblivion characters, City-Swimmer. On the other hand, Amusei. One of them has a name translated into "common" so to speak, the other has a pure Argonian name that probably means something, Gets-Better-As-Thief or what have you.Sort of like Native Americans from our perspective. We know Sitting Bull as Sitting Bull because that's the translation, but Geronimo gets to be Geronimo and Pocahontas gets to be Pocahontas. Cultural assimilation and all that business.

So the lizardmen follow a Native American naming convention... and Quick-Hands is to be a female martial artist... Do Argonians take a name at a coming of age ceremony of some sort or are their parents to blame for the sheer coincidence of the name and profession match?Incidentally...Per Manataka, Sitting Bull was actually named Tatanka-Iyotanka which only translates to English, roughly, as a buffalo bull sitting intractably on its haunches or Sitting Bull. Sadly, this seems to have been the historic pride of the Lakota Indians who've incited such fervor on Samson's blog in the past...According to blurtit.com, Geronimo wasn't actually named Geronimo:

blurtit.com[/url]]Geronimo is the rarely used Italian form of the famous name Jerome. It is a name given to men in Italy. The name is pronounced as hare-ROH-nee-moh or jer-RAH-nah-moh. The name means "sacred name or a saint's name." Some of the variants of the name Geronimo are Heronimo' date=' Hierornimo, Jeronimo, Jeronimus and Hieronymus. The Apache chief Goyathlay was famously known as Geronimo conferred on him by the Mexicans. He was instrumental in resisting the US government policy by leading a series of raids against Mexican and American settlements in the Southwest (1876–1886) in a bid to unite his people on the issue of reservations. He single-handedly led a revolt of 4,000 odd Apaches who had been forcibly removed by U.S. authorities to a desolate reservation in east-central Arizona. After years of struggle, unrest and bloodshed, Geronimo was finally arrested, only to escape with his followers in the year of 1884. Geronimo was arrested on deceit in the year 1886 and forced to do hard labour. Placed on a reservation at Fort Sill, Okla, he wrote his own autobiography Geronimo: His Own Story. He took to farming towards the last few years of his life. The book was published three years after his death.[/quote']Likewise, according to teacherlink.ed.usu.edu, Pocahontas was a nickname, not her actual name:
Teacher Link[/url]]Pocahontas was born in 1595. She was the daughter of Powhatan' date=' Chief of 30 Indian tribes in Virginia. Pocahontas was given the name of Matoaka, which means "Little Snow Feather." This was a name used only within the tribe because it was believed that if outsiders learned of the tribal name, harm would come to a person and to speak one's real name aloud was like opening a door to evil spirits. She was given the nickname of Pocahontas which has many different translations. It is loosely translated as "one who plays mostly," "playful one," "little wanton," and "playful, frolicsome little girl."[...']
So, ultimately, we've simply come to know all three of those famous Indians by names which were either translated or given to them by outsiders, but those weren't their own names as they'd have called themselves normally.

Argonians do indeed follow loosely with the way outsiders have given names to American Indians (side note, I hate the term Native American - if you're born here you're a native, period). A lot of names like "City-Swimmer" or "Sings-Like-Thunder" or "Hauls-Rope-Faster" are probably the common tongue translations of something most folks couldn't pronounce to save their lives. They are of course very exploitable common given names. "Pees-On-Leaf" for instance :PSo "Quick-Hands" fits pretty well given the way things work.

I do understand your point, Dwip, but you didn't answer my question. Based on lore or whatever source you want (even just speculation, since it's a point of curiosity anyway): "Do Argonians take a name at a coming of age ceremony of some sort or are their parents to blame for the sheer coincidence of the name and profession match?"I do generally agree with the sentiment about "Native Americans" but it does serve to helpfully distinguish between American Indians and Indians from India.

• 3 weeks later...

There's some kind of bug in the hideously overcomplex scripting that's causing all sorts of things to randomly fail. And I can't find it because hey, overly complex. Also the UOP is fucking with me for some reason, and I'm not really sure why.

Conner is probably right about a parenthesis or a bracket or something. There's a few areas where not using OBSE to run the CS won't report on busted code.How exactly is the UOP screwing with you?

I just know that with mud code, if you can't figure out what the problem is, it's usually a missed semi-colon or an extra (or a missing) parenthesis. :lol: