Getting Semi Random CTDs, no idea why

Dankster

Did you do a clean reinstall, as I suggested sometime back?

Skyrim SE/AE Clean Vanilla Reinstall 

and follow it exactly?  Even if you did, it would be a good idea to repeat it again.

Then, test purely vanilla - no mods no changes to anything in the game, and makes sure it works.  If it does, then add USSEP and Alternate Start.  Then following the troubleshooting guide I linked earlier, add anything needed to create your character, as that would be the next thing to add in after a successful test with USSEP and Alternate Start.  Then, provided that works, add just one mod in at a time.

Also - is it safe to assume that you have your FPS capped at 60?

Another thing I noticed (and had to verify) is in your skee64.log (which comes from Racemenu). It's calculating quite a bit of body morphs and some errors. This means at some point when you installed the XPMSE skeleton you selected an option to "randomize" body shapes. The game then polls for NPC's nearby and like it says, will randomly apply morph (body) shapes to them.

I'm not exactly sure what the options say when installing XPMSE but I suggest you re-install it and make sure any option that says Randomizer or Morph is set to none. You don't need this.

And make sure to re-run FNIS after. Copy/paste the output of the FNIS generation here.

Update: Been able to play full vanilla with no issue and, just Alternate Start And Unofficial Patch with no issue

Before I was able to reliably start a fresh save, clear like 2 bandit camps for the guy in white run and do helgen till about level 4-5 and crash near the same play times.

So i guess ill just keep repeating that process adding in one mod at a time and see when it'll crash

This is gonna take a while ;-;

6 minutes ago, Dankster said:

Update: Been able to play full vanilla with no issue and, just Alternate Start And Unofficial Patch with no issue

Before I was able to reliably start a fresh save, clear like 2 bandit camps for the guy in white run and do helgen till about level 4-5 and crash near the same play times.

So i guess ill just keep repeating that process adding in one mod at a time and see when it'll crash

This is gonna take a while ;-;

It will - but once it is done you will know for certain which mod or mods are resulting in the issue - and which are not - and then, knowing those mods which work together without any problems, if you decide to mod further, you can use that as your "base" to build upon.

34 minutes ago, Dankster said:

This is gonna take a while 

If it's any consolation, I have spent weeks preparing some of my mod lists before actually starting a game.  I once spent two whole months testing, tweaking, adding mods, removing mods, doing conflict resolution between mods, doing more testing, more tweaking, all the while going "window shopping" for mods I might have missed or for mods that might have come out during my weeks of testing and tweaking, ect.  

These days (meaning the last ten or fifteen years) I run a fairly minimal mod list.  So I don't spend quite as much time in preparation anymore.  Even so, I can still find myself spending over a week preparing a mod list.  So don't be disheartened.  Most of us go through this.  As far as I'm concerned, all this troubleshooting is well worth it in the end.  

oh im sure it is, skyrim in a childhood game for me and is still my favorite even today, I always done tiny mod lists with simple not really game changing stuff involved.  I've always wanted to do a full on play through of the game with heavy mods, nothing game breaking but tons of armors weapons, different leveling systems ect.  So I want this to be the big kahuna ya know?  I am determined to get this working and have my big mod list play through, just wasn't prepared for all this:frantics:

still testing, i've got about half the mods installed rn, but quick question, i use skyUI obviously but HATE the smiting UI that comes with it,I know skyUI away can revert the UIs of certain inventories like smiting ones and Im not actually confident i did it correctly the first time around, so what is the proper way to remove the smiting UI but keep everything else.

16 hours ago, Hana said:

Another thing I noticed (and had to verify) is in your skee64.log (which comes from Racemenu). It's calculating quite a bit of body morphs and some errors. This means at some point when you installed the XPMSE skeleton you selected an option to "randomize" body shapes. The game then polls for NPC's nearby and like it says, will randomly apply morph (body) shapes to them.

I'm not exactly sure what the options say when installing XPMSE but I suggest you re-install it and make sure any option that says Randomizer or Morph is set to none. You don't need this.

And make sure to re-run FNIS after. Copy/paste the output of the FNIS generation here.

Skyrim SE 64bit: 1.6.640.0 - A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (126 bones)   male: XPMS2HDT (126 bones)
Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations"  
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix"  

Reading FNISBase V7.6 ...
Reading XPMSE V7.2 ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files...
No GENDER directory male
No GENDER directory female
Alternate Animation mods: 1 sets: 16 total groups: 30 added file slots: 170 alternate files: 164

Creature Pack not installed

164 animations for 2 mods successfully included (character)

0 possible consistence issues

----Forgot you asked to see my FNIS output

Okay - FNIS has everything working properly.

As to disabling just one of the menus you can try Hide SkyUI.  When installing there is an option to select which menus you wish to hide - the mod author though, has provided almost no information, so you would need to refer to the mod's Posts page for information. (One thing, apparently you need to start a new game after installing it to ensure that the menus display properly.)  However, though I have never used it, I personally would not recommend it, as there appears there may be some issues.  You would probably be better off just getting used to the SkyUI crafting menu - itis better to dislike a feature than to use a mod that may potentially cause issues with the game.  And that's the Golden Rule - especially if you wish to successfully create a large mod build (though it applies at all times for all builds, no matter how large or small).

The Golden Rule of Modding
"No matter how good a mod may look or sound, no matter how much you may really want a mod, if the mod does not work as it should, causes issues in your game, or even seems to have the potential to cause issues, dump the mod. A game that does not work is no game at all."

(From the Introduction section of the PINNED TOPIC in Steam's SSE forum Helpful Links and References)

I actually find the original division to be a distraction - I like to see all items listed at once as in SkyUI and do not need (any longer) to know what their material is.  But, that's a matter of personal preference as well as long experience.

Fair enough, I suppose I just like the division of materials especially with immersive armors and other armor mods since I don't know the names of items nor what they're made of, especially when I unlock new metals to craft with, to be fair though the last time I used skyUI was back when they didn't change the smiting inventory

Yeah, the bottom line - regardless of what mods you use - or whether you even use mods at all, is your game your way.  The important thing - well, other than the fact that your game runs - LOL! is that you enjoy it (though if it doesn't run, enjoying it won't be an option - LOL!).

And if you have any other questions or things you want to discuss, we are all here for you!

Enjoy the game, Dankster!

In the Advanced section of the SkyUI MCM I believe you can toggle off which menus you don't want. SkyUI Away is an old LE version mod so maybe try the Hide SkyUI smr mentioned.

And yes, the FNIS output looks fine, but did you reinstall XPMSE like I suggested?

still have about 20% of my mods to go through, im just not gonna include skyUI-away , I also use ordinator perks yet had a custom smithing perk tree mod that i made overwrite ordinator using x-edit, might leave that out for now too, might add those last to see if they were causing the conflict

Well I suppose it's going good so far, have all the previous mods installed from before, i left out SkyUI away, the smiting perk tree I said above and a couple redundant mods I had, like having two landscape mods etc.  I hit level 9, saw the greybeards , and did the first quest for dark brother hood and thieves guild all with no CTD.  Hope it stays that way

15 hours ago, Dankster said:

Well I suppose it's going good so far, have all the previous mods installed from before, i left out SkyUI away, the smiting perk tree I said above and a couple redundant mods I had, like having two landscape mods etc.  I hit level 9, saw the greybeards , and did the first quest for dark brother hood and thieves guild all with no CTD.  Hope it stays that way

I'm keeping everything crossed (not just my fingers - LOL!) in the hope that all goes well for you as well!

Yea I think I've finally got it.  On this save I've gotten to level 18 and haven't had a single CTD at all.  Best part is I get to use pretty much every single mod I had before minus some redundant stuff I wasn't gonna use anyway.  Just wish I could change the smithing tree to not use ordinator's version, and the SkyUI's crafting.  I can finally have fun now.  :dancing:

Thanks again to ya'll for all the help over the past few days, I've learned A LOT and I would've called it quits if it weren't for ya'll, so I can't say it enough thank you.  <3

• Like 2