[Skyrim] Quick questions and quick answers

Leonardo

Don't be so doom & gloom :P

Paint.net works just fine on the formats it can read. Naturally it won't be able to show you the normal map in the proper way but as long as you don't mess with it other than to save it again after editing you'll be fine.

The only thing you need to worry about is if you want to convert to one of the new BC7 formats, but that's totally unnecessary unless you happen to be one of the unlucky with a texture that SSE can't read.

:) I actually like Paint.Net very much, and use it for a lot of things, but I have also seen it make a mess of a few textures after saving so would not trust it for modding. GIMP is by far the best free choice, and has a huge range of options exporting out Compressed or none compressed DDS formats.

cjhwLmH.png

I agree, I too find Paint.NET fairly easy to use, but Gimp is by far more advanced than Paint.NET and I consider Gimp to be a sort of *Photoshop as freeware*.

My experience with Paint.net has clearly not been the same. I find Gimp to be largely unwieldly and not a friendly program at all, and it lacks native DDS support so you have to hunt down dodgy plugins for it.

I've yet to have Paint.net do something wrong with any texture file I've edited with it and it has a pretty robust list of formats to save things in.

I find Gimp to be largely unwieldly and not a friendly program at all, and it lacks native DDS support so you have to hunt down dodgy plugins for it.

But then your experience about Gimp is what I have discovered myself.  Every time I launch Gimp I always ask myself; "how do I do this or that in Gimp?", which I find a lot easier to do in Paint.NET.

What?  Gimp doesn't support DDS files without using a specific plugin? :blink:

What?  Gimp doesn't support DDS files without using a specific plugin? :blink:

Yep, it has a supporting cast of plugins from a dedicated community to tailor it the way you want and not use up memory / loading time unnecessarily, same as Adobe Photoshop with its vast array of paid for and free plugins, Photoshop does not come as standard with the ability to load DDS files.

Yep, it has a supporting cast of plugins from a dedicated community to tailor it the way you want and not use up memory / loading time unnecessarily, same as Adobe Photoshop with its vast array of paid for and free plugins, Photoshop does not come as standard with the ability to load DDS files.

Then Paint.NET is an exception for graphical program.

Is it ever correct for an ENCH reference to be directly referenced in a cell like in the Morrowloot SE version? SSEEdit lists this as an error. Can't give specifics right now because I just have my phone with me right now. There also seems to be a "default gauntlet" reference in the Master file. So is it possible that the enchantment is then applied to whatever that variable equipment is changed?

If the CK allows you to set it, then it's correct. It's not something I've ever tried but who knows.

Anyone who knows why I don't have the GUI for SSE-CK2 present, only the separated working windows, in Windows 7?

If that's due to the stupid Windows Firewall then I surprised to see that happen now, because it has NEVER been a problem for Windows Firewall before ever. :wallbash:

Perhaps it got hidden somehow? Have you tried deleting the ini's and relaunching?

Or you might try redownloading it.

• 7 months later...

Earlier this year I mentioned that I wanted to reduce the detection radious for a map marker that's in vanilla and now I want to include that in the 1.8 version.  So I wonder what does this one need to do in the CK to change the detection radious for a map marker.

I assume I need to go through every add map marker in my mod and make the changes manually, but how and where do I find it to make this change in the CK?

The only thing that I've looked at is the Extra tab (third from the left) in the MapMarker static object in the CK, but what value is the one I need to change.

46 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I assume I need to go through every add map marker in my mod and make the changes manually, but how and where do I find it to make this change in the CK?

Why manually when it can be automated. Apply this script to your mod in xEdit (change fRadiusMult value)

unit ChangeMapMarkerRadius;

const
  fRadiusMult = 0.9;

function Process(e: IInterface): Integer;
begin
  if Signature(e) = 'REFR' then
    if GetElementNativeValues(e, 'NAME') = $10 then
      if ElementExists(e, 'XRDS') then
        SetElementNativeValues(e, 'XRDS', Round( GetElementNativeValues(e, 'XRDS') * fRadiusMult ));
end;

end.

Thanks zilav, I appreciate the script. :)

The fRadiousMult value is about how much I want to reduce the detection radious that's in vanilla.  Correct?

6 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Thanks zilav, I appreciate the script. :)

The fRadiousMult value is about how much I want to reduce the detection radious that's in vanilla.  Correct?

It is a multiplier, so 0.9 is 90% of original, and 1.5 for example will be 150%

Just what I thought the value for the fRadiousMult would be.  So if I let say wants to reduce the detection radious by 40 % then I use 0.6, if I understood you correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

After some delay I began to work on the update I've mentioned in the comments at Bethesda.net, so I loaded my mod into the CK (32-bit) and notice one thing I haven't thought about before.

What I mean is how do you navigate in the render window in the CK when, in my case are adding new map markers, trying to find a specific cell, but doesn't know the exact coordinates.

Also, how the coordinate system works.  For example, I know not exactly where but relative close enough let say way north of Winterhold is the celll for the Winterhold prison namely The Chill location that has the exact coordinate 30, 36.

I know the coordinates for some cells has a negative number e.g -10, 10 or -10, -10 or 10, -10, but I assume these coordinates can be translated into what direction I need to go in the render window in the CK.

Is there a compass I can use in the CK?

• 3 weeks later...

I was curious where the map marker for the Winterhold Jail location is placed in-game, so I loaded the CK 2 and looked around a bit.

Does anyone know if the WinterholdJailExteriorNew cell exist in both SLE and in SSE or does that cell only exist in SSE?

• 3 months later...

Today, I contiue to work on an update for my mod and after a while I decided to go to find more places in-game rather than trying to find places in the CK.

Is there a way to make the coordinates visible in-game via the console, instead of clicking on an object then take a screenshot?

16 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Today, I contiue to work on an update for my mod and after a while I decided to go to find more places in-game rather than trying to find places in the CK.

Is there a way to make the coordinates visible in-game via the console, instead of clicking on an object then take a screenshot?

What's my XYZ is simple mod that reports position in skyrim every ten sec. Gives coordinates x,y,z and also Block and SubBlock numbers. Block and sub-block are useful in xEdit as you expand the worldspace tree. In CK you can enter the x and y numbers, in Cell View window, to take you right to the cell in render window.

For reference on the negative, positive numbers ... The center of Skyrim is at Bleakwind Basin, the giant camp outside Whiterun. North and East is positive from there. South and West is negative. I put screenshots on the mod page around center point.

1 hour ago, Jebbalon said:

What's my XYZ is simple mod that reports position in skyrim every ten sec. Gives coordinates x,y,z and also Block and SubBlock numbers. Block and sub-block are useful in xEdit as you expand the worldspace tree. In CK you can enter the x and y numbers, in Cell View window, to take you right to the cell in render window.

For reference on the negative, positive numbers ... The center of Skyrim is at Bleakwind Basin, the giant camp outside Whiterun. North and East is positive from there. South and West is negative. I put screenshots on the mod page around center point.

Thanks for the link, just what I need. :)

So the SubBlock is what I need to remember in what cell I am standing in-game, if I understood the picture on Nexus correctly.

The negative references is not really important to me, but it's good to know how the cell structure works in the CK.

Press Alt+F3 in xEdit to bring up worldspace browser, then Worldspace -> Select menu or press F3, set Grid Opacity to 100 and it will overlay blocks and subblocks over the selected worldspace.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two questions.

1.  Is there anyone who played TK's Freedom of Speech mod in SLE and was sent to the Blind Cliff Cave in one of Arngeir's radiant word of power quests, remember if there were a map marker for the BlindCliffCaveUpperExterior cell?

2.  In what area, specifically in what climate area, is the Malachite, Moonstone ore mineral deposit more common in comparison to the rest of the exterior cells in the Tamriel worldspace?