Windows 10

alt3rn1ty

Have fun deliberately staying behind on an older OS. Also, yes, you're being pushed to auto updates. Do you how many people DON'T? Seriously. part of the problem with flash is that people *don't* update. Or their browsers.

That's all well and good for some, but do keep in mind that some people don't care if they're behind on the latest OS (and latest technology). Also, I personally could care less if not upgrading leads to problems for M$ or whatever is being inferred by the flash example. Sorry if that sounds selfish, but I can see it working both ways - meaning that it is also selfish for others to expect everyone to upgrade to a new OS that they're not completely comfortable with.

The way I see it, M$ forcing these updates and on us is not only annoying, but also makes me highly suspicious of what they're actually trying to accomplish by doing so. If they were to say: "We have a new OS and it's free, upgrade if you wish - we won't force any auto-updates on you" then I would think more highly of them, but this way of going about it just rubs me the wrong way. The more they continue to push - the more stubborn I'm going to be about it. Yes, M$ has a monopoly but they will come a point (eventually) where other companies offer something just as desirable - if not more so.

Not upgrading leads to your comp being taken over or having malware infected. It's a massive security risk. That is the concern.

Have fun being a sheep who questions nothing and won't fight for your consumer rights. That's the kind of lay down and take it attitude that brought us things like Steam, draconian DRM, subscription software, and forced OS updates.

There is little reason to respond to this, especially since I don't feel my consumer rights are heavily infringed by any of the above. Also, I could have just started up with the natural insults, I didn't. Sticking with an older OS brings challenges, namely that you run the real risk of losing support or not having software support your OS period. 

Windows 7 is still actively supported for another 5 years. That argument doesn't hold.

By Microsoft. XP was still supported, technically, and many games and apps wouldn't run on it. That's the issue with an older OS.

Everything I had ran fine on XP when I finally ditched it in 2010. Yes. 9 years after it came out. I see nothing of benefit in "upgrading" to Windows 10 outside of it being free.

Not upgrading leads to your comp being taken over or having malware infected. It's a massive security risk. That is the concern.

If you're not careful about what sites you visit or what files you download, sure, any OS (latest or not) has a significant risk of being infected with viruses. I have not had any major problems with malware since upgrading to Win7 a year or so before XP lost support, so if someone tells me that it is magically going to change on a supported OS then I find that to be suspect at best.

By Microsoft. XP was still supported, technically, and many games and apps wouldn't run on it. That's the issue with an older OS.

Never encountered that myself. Sure newer games may not have been supported by it towards the end of XP's support cycle, but otherwise I don't think that's true. Maybe we don't use the same applications either, I don't know. Let's just say that I'm the type of person who typically doesn't upgrade to the latest technology at least until almost everyone else has done so because I don't see it as a necessity given that older stuff still meets my needs.

Windows 7 is still actively supported for another 5 years. That argument doesn't hold.

And yes, unless M$ is lying that Windows 7 is fully supported through 2020 then I agree that the argument about it being at high risk for viruses and such is invalid.

There is little reason to respond to this, especially since I don't feel my consumer rights are heavily infringed by any of the above. Also, I could have just started up with the natural insults, I didn't. Sticking with an older OS brings challenges, namely that you run the real risk of losing support or not having software support your OS period.

What's of greater concern here is our right to use our own computer as we please and M$ cannot tell us how we should use it nor can they force us to do what they think is the right thing to do.

I concur.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone had anything happening yet ?

29th was supposed to be the beginning of this update rolling out, no doubt it will be in stages and / or regional so as to spread the bandwidth load across the internet - Nothing happened on my machine yet. But then the 29th in the US has just begun at time of writing it will be early part of the day for Microsoft US ( assuming that is where this rollout is being controlled from overall ).

My system did some sort of "telemetry scan" or whatever it was called when I booted up this morning. Only noticed cause it was lagging and checked task manager. No idea what that did either. Otherwise it's been all quiet here.

I backed up my important stuff last night just in case something bad happens :P

haven't "preordered" win 10 yet. i'll likely wait until the next big patch in october minimum. from what i read, the UI, while nicely done for Mouse again now, is now an even weirder mix of Win 7, 8 and 10 once you go a bit deeper into the settings. hopefully the settings will be unified soon. also some inconsistencies still seem to be all around (different fonts and font rendering, app behaving differently than programs when sorted in the new old start menu (not sure how bad that really is, if found the distinction pretty clear in on the win 8.1 programs page). also, it's better to wait for a few more driver and software updates to be on the save side

anyway, from what i read, MS ordered 40Tb of bandwidth from various CDNs, and apparently there is some trick to force the update on your rig if you do not want to wait. don't know any specifics, but i bet you need to let it search for updates manually or something.

BUT, the main reason i'm writing is: I saw the new Terminator yesterday. Anyone reminded of Win 10 by the latest representation of Skynet? I'm yet undecided whether MS or Apple would be more pissed by that move (Google got to play the "bad boy" already in the recent "ex Machina" :D)

Lol, funny you should say that. Saw Terminator Genisys. Thought exactly the same thing about Windows 10 :P

So it's downloading for me right now. I noticed the distinct lack of a message asking me about when to download it or to download it at all... Very strange indeed. :P

Some impressions after using the new OS for a few days:

• Aside from my issue getting Windows 10 to recognize my license (my fault, it's a W7 to W8 upgrade license and so needed an in-place upgrade, obvious in hindsight), the install process was super easy.
  • Amazingly, Microsoft can make a browser that doesn't totally suck. Edge is the new default browser, and is miles better than Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is still included for those rare situations where websites won't take anything else (United Airlines Reservations, I'm looking at you), but it's a massive step in the right direction. Probably not for power users (no extension support yet), but for the average user it's more than enough.
  • They finally nailed the "one Windows" thing. You can use both desktop and Windows mobile apps. Given the improved porting process for Android and iOS to W10 Mobile, this has the potential to be a huge benefit to mobile developers.
  • Traditional Start menu is back. I think it could still use a little bit of work, since you can only pin programs to the start menu by making them a tile on the right-hand side, but it's miles better than before and I suspect we might see a true W7-style Start menu very soon. For those on touchscreens, you can enable a W8-style Start menu if you want. Good for everyone here.
  • Cortana, (MSFT's version of Google Now/Siri) is bundled by default. I messed around with it a bit and while it's super cool, it's not really something I can see myself using. I ended up disabling both Cortana and the "include online results" search function.
  • You get a section immediately to the right of the W10 start button that says "Search Windows." Works the same as hitting the Windows key and typing, and it's a nice inclusion for Windows novices.
  • Small thing but the W10 calculator is actually really nice. I think it's technically a W10 mobile app given the menu styles, but it's a bit easier for me to use than the traditional MSFT one and the menus are better organized. I use this thing all the time, but most people will probably care less.
  • Task view and virtual desktops: This kind of thing has been included with most Linux distros for a while. I've never used it, but some people love it. View all your open programs on a desktop, and add and remove virtual desktops as needed. Either use this via the Task View button to the right of the "Search Windows" bar or use Windows key + Tab
  • Simplified Settings menu. The traditional Control panel with a billion functions is still there, they just added a quick settings menu to let you access shit you need (like Windows Update, connecting to a VPN, etc) at a glance. I find myself using this for 99% of my settings stuff.
  • Better notification center: The notification center finally learned from smartphones and tablets and doesn't require a new window to view your notifications, it just swipes in from the right hand side after you click its icon on the system tray. Allows access to settings, tablet mode (for convertibles) and such.
  • You can share Wi-Fi access with someone on your MSFT, Skype or Facebook contacts list without giving them your password. Super cool, but I haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet since my desktop doesn't have a wireless NIC.
  • More advanced cmd console: If you right-click on the cmd console's title bar and choose "properties," then uncheck the legacy console setting and relaunch cmd, you have access to some new features as they roll in. Right now the most convenient is proper ctrl + v and Ctrl + c support.

I downloaded it but I haven't upgraded yet. After hearing how unsecure the Wifi password sharing is and how much Cortana data mines you it might be a rocky start.

Right now the most convenient is proper ctrl + v and Ctrl + c support.

Great news finally after so many years M$ programmers solved this problem. :troll:

Congratulations M$.

Something I forgot to mention here :

Microsoft account is todays equivalent of the old windows Live accounts

And they have it as a requirement by default so that MS get to hoover up your data, when you sign into windows, where from etc etc, its also an enabler for the MS Cloud services to work ...

Introduced in Win 8

You need to find the option to let you use a "Local Account" instead ( the new equivalent of a windows 7 Admin / Limited User Account )

When it asks you for your email address ( MS Account ), look at the bottom for an option "Dont have an account"

Then at the bottom of the next dialogue where you are encouraged to make an account look for another faded option which says :

"Sign in without a Microsoft Account"

Then you should be able to "Create a Local Account"

If not .. back up, enter a fake email address which you can be sure does not exist, press enter and the dialogue will say your email is unrecognised or similar, and underneath that it will also say "Continue without a Microsoft Account" .. Another way of getting to the same Create a Local Account option.

It was the same on Win 8 / 8.1, I had the pleasure of having to find out how to avoid those options on my youngests new laptop.

To create more accounts on the same machine as Local User Accounts, see this article ..

Now they're trying to force everyone into getting a Live account? Good lord.

If people need an address they know won't go through, use example.com as the domain. That isn't routable and they may not have thought to block those.

Now they're trying to force everyone into getting a Live account? Good lord.

If people need an address they know won't go through, use example.com as the domain. That isn't routable and they may not have thought to block those.

The Local Account thing actually wasn't a huge deal to me. What DID frustrate me was the default setting on Windows Update. They have a feature where your PC can download updates then distribute them over LAN instead of requiring each computer to connect to MSFT's servers. Good for MSFT's CDN, good for people with limited bandwidth. However, the problem is they ALSO enabled a "share Windows Updates over WAN" setting, so it's sucking up data sharing updates with everyone else unless you turn this feature off or set it to LAN only (LAN is the best for bandwidth conservation, obviously). It would have been super nice if they defaulted it to the share over LAN setting, that would have been considerate. Share over WAN is just cruel, though.

So you mean they're defaulting it so every unsuspecting Windows 10 user becomes a torrent node for their updates? Jesus Christ, why would you do that?

So you mean they're defaulting it so every unsuspecting Windows 10 user becomes a torrent node for their updates? Jesus Christ, why would you do that?

Yeah I have no fucking clue, actually. Overall they've made some really good decisions with 10 so I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was an enormously stupid oversight. Given all the reporting that's been going on about it and increasing time without a hotfix though... it's making them look sketchy as hell. People are worried about sharing Wi-Fi passwords over MSFT's servers? Bitch, please. MSFT can just grab those from your network settings. This though... fuck. Hard to substantiate but some people on the Windows subreddit were reporting enormous traffic until they shut it off.

Given that it's P2P, I would imagine it gets more aggressive the denser an area you live in. No thanks. 

Well then Talos preserve me, metro LA area is about as dense as you're going to get. Big fat no thanks from me too.

And of course, don't forget the hack:

cmd prmpt > control userpasswords2 and Uncheck the Check-Box: "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

to get rid of the annoying login screen. (It won't actually boot up offline though: diagnosing network problems- safemode a cmd prompt turned out to be useless offline)

Also can you arrange the piddles on the W10 LH explorer pane as described here? I've offered a partial solution but unfortunately it does not apply to any of the cmdialog boxes. :(

Another note for anyone upgrading from Win 7 or earlier :

Windows 10 has Microsoft Security Essentials installed and running by default ( same deal as Win 8 ) ..

.. Its now known as Windows Defender ( MSSE replaced the old Vista / 7 Defender, but kept the old name instead of calling it what it is )

So you have rudimentary realtime malware protection installed and running by default, checking your emails and downloads as they come in.

MalwarebytesAntimalware has been updated to be compatible with Win 10 aswell, which is nice to have installed as a second opinion to Defender ( MSSE )

So thats one bit of good news for Win 10. The two work well together in my experience with them both on Win 7.

Though good online practices are still the best prevention ( no pr0n / w4r3z / multiple advertising methods getting hooks into your system )