Jump to content

Bethesda net refugees


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rotzi said:

This is the one with the job to answer your questions. :P

sleepy-cat.jpg.9ef7ee0e8ba9c593de0b9d76660be9dd.jpg

Yes, I think that's it.  :lmao:

On another note, we took in nine feral kittens when we moved to our present house last year. The kittens are all indoor cats now and have mostly become domesticated.  We also have one adult feral cat (mother of two of the kittens) who comes in and out of our house, but who mostly lives outside in the summer.  So I am pretty familiar with scenes like this picture!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 8:21 AM, Raman said:

Hello all. I was in the last forums as Rama. So glad this has been started up. The new Bethesda Discord site is terrible IMO. I was missing the old forums

Oh well, just look at me turning up after the ship has sailed:lmao:.

I just noticed this and realised how ignorant I must seem not saying hello.  Let me put that right this instant.  “Hello Raman, please do enjoy the company of the Bethesda Refugees.”

Regards

Adella:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Wonder if Bethesda (sorry i mean Microsoft) will rethink their choice of forum if/when they eventually release Starfield or (heres hoping) TES6.

I mean surely they would want to hear the views of their purchasers and I can just imagine the racket from the discord mobs.

Perhaps they realise the error of their ways, i am such an optimist..........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XRAT said:

Wonder if Bethesda (sorry i mean Microsoft) will rethink their choice of forum if/when they eventually release Starfield or (heres hoping) TES6.

I mean surely they would want to hear the views of their purchasers and I can just imagine the racket from the discord mobs.

Perhaps they realise the error of their ways, i am such an optimist..........

Since when has any suite admitted  a mistake even if it was in their own interest to do so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't expect to see Bethesda put up a forum of their own again at this point. They've made it pretty clear already they think Discord works better for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I wouldn't expect to see Bethesda put up a forum of their own again at this point. They've made it pretty clear already they think Discord works better for them.

Part of me wonders if this is about disengaging from modding "drama". Imagine if the forums were still up for the Nexus snarf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, XRAT said:

Bethesda (sorry i mean Microsoft)

No, you mean Bethesda.  Microsoft had nothing to do with the decision to shut down the forums.  Bethesda has been transitioning to Discord behind the scenes since 2018.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure it would have been much of an issue if the forums were still up. The moderators there would have been quick to shut down any outbreaks, as I'm sure Pseron can attest to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

No, you mean Bethesda.  Microsoft had nothing to do with the decision to shut down the forums.  Bethesda has been transitioning to Discord behind the scenes since 2018.

I have to wonder why, because it really isn't ideal ass a platform - except that they don't have to host it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

I have to wonder why, because it really isn't ideal ass a platform - except that they don't have to host it.

And there we have it money speaks 😎

but the younger generation seems to prefere it, so “ shrugs” who knows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, how's it goin'? :)

With Beth net closing forums, and the Nexus shake up, I figured I would come join you here too. It's getting hard to find people anymore, gotta check Discord, Nexus, here, there, etc, etc if you need to ask a mod question lol.

Anyway, I'm around...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I'm not sure it would have been much of an issue if the forums were still up. The moderators there would have been quick to shut down any outbreaks, as I'm sure Pseron can attest to.

I think it just cost them money and they didn't see the need for it.  Giving something like that for the bigger fans just isn't important to them anymore.  They certainly never visited to see what issues or ideas we had.  Course legally they couldn't take an idea from there, which may be why they would avoid it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This maybe moot, but I think losing a proper forum site is a mistake.

You know how Beverly Hills residents just have to have the heated pool….because it is symbolic of status whether used or not.  Well, I suspect a studio having a well developed active forum is kind of like that….It shows maturity, and although there is a running cost that itself is a testament to their wealth and position amongst the grown ups of Developer hood.

However, the kudos of owning a site for your flagship products seems to have been set aside in the interest of pure bottom line bucks.  I sincerely think this is short sighted.

Adella

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LeBurns said:

I think it just cost them money and they didn't see the need for it.  Giving something like that for the bigger fans just isn't important to them anymore.  They certainly never visited to see what issues or ideas we had.  Course legally they couldn't take an idea from there, which may be why they would avoid it.

Nothing to stop them asking or even paying a small sum for the idea. I remember reading on Chesko’s web page he was working on an all encompassing needs and survival mod, he went into a lot of detail as to what would be included. That mod was never finished or mentioned again, but low and behold the survival level we now have in skyrim includes a lot of what he mentioned. I can not prove one way or the other but looks like some kind of deal may have been made. Makes you think at least.

https://skyrimsurvival.com/home/last-seed/

Check out Chesko’s own web page and look at the discontinued mods mentioned there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if the forum shutdown is only the beginning. Maybe they plan to shutdown the mod servers aswell. Altough that would cripple hundredthousands/millions of peoples games on console so i have no idea how that would work. Maybe only closing them for new uploads and let it be like it is. I somehow have the bad feeling that bethesda will try to make it more difficult modding their games. They have established the frakking CC and maybe going full paid mods in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Rotzi said:

I wonder if the forum shutdown is only the beginning. Maybe they plan to shutdown the mod servers aswell. Altough that would cripple hundredthousands/millions of peoples games on console so i have no idea how that would work. Maybe only closing them for new uploads and let it be like it is. I somehow have the bad feeling that bethesda will try to make it more difficult modding their games. They have established the frakking CC and maybe going full paid mods in the future.

Yes…..I do not think that is too cynical a leap.  
I voiced some time ago the possibility of Creation Club offerings being the only mods eventually allowed.  This doesn’t worry PC users because they assume independent mods will always be possible on the likes of nexus (or here etc), but the reality is that the tech and DRM programming is already possible to hamstring the downloaded base games from accepting third party mods without paid for ‘keys’.

yes yes, clever hacks will get around locks and encryptions, we know….but….for 99% of regular gamers a DRM type key will stop all modding that Beth does not approve of or get paid to allow.  Someone please tell me I can’t be right…it is a horrible idea huh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have been trying to sneak paid mods in for years, there was an attempt with paid mods through steam workshop in Old Rim. There was such a shit storm Steam dropped it like a hot potato.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uncus said:

Check out Chesko’s own web page and look at the discontinued mods mentioned there.

Wasn't there a rumor that Chesko created the Survival Mode for the CC? Not sure where i read it or if it really has any piece of truth in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The second wave of refuges is happening :fear:

I would assume they are all nexus members ... WELCOME

prophecy

[ prof-uh-see ] noun, plural proph·e·cies.
the foretelling or prediction of what is to come.
something that is declared by a prophet, especially a divinely inspired prediction, instruction, or exhortation.

"The Mod Wars"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Uncus said:

They have been trying to sneak paid mods in for years, there was an attempt with paid mods through steam workshop in Old Rim. There was such a shit storm Steam dropped it like a hot potato.

But with CC the shitstorm wasn't nearly that big. Many people throwed their money happily towards bethesda for it, despite a lot of the things have better mod counterparts. Maybe it has to do with the changed playerbase and their acceptance of microtransactions and paid content. 

Edited by Rotzi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I think it just cost them money and they didn't see the need for it.  Giving something like that for the bigger fans just isn't important to them anymore.  They certainly never visited to see what issues or ideas we had.  Course legally they couldn't take an idea from there, which may be why they would avoid it.

It wasn't a money issue. They're a billion+ dollar company. They could afford the $400 for a valid IPB license and could have upgraded their old IPB install without breaking a sweat. For some reason they decided that package wasn't good enough and switched to Jive Software. Which they quickly realized was a huge mistake. So they switched to NodeBB. Which I'm going to guess they eventually decided was also a huge mistake. It could just be they decided it wasn't worth it to try and return to IPB or find yet another alternative package with proper commercial support behind it.

Discord is not an adequate replacement though, even though they seem to be happy with it. So I guess it's the fact that they don't have to do anything at all to maintain either the server for it or make custom changes to the package itself. They just have to push a few buttons and set up some channels and they're off and running.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...