Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else notice the same thing as I have with Steam when updating Steam Client?

Three times in a row I got a notification about an update for Steam Client today.  Sometimes it's necessary to update twice, but three times in a row I wonder what Valve is up to.

It does that to me all the time and never indicates why.

Thankfully, it doesn't happen to me all the time.

But today I dunno what happen not only three times in a row when I posted this, I also got the same update 2-3 times (I think it was the same update) on top of the three times I already got. :blink:

A couple of minutes ago I got two 8 March 2016 updates in a row then a minute later I got another update and now I read it was the latest update back in Aug 2015.  WTF is going on Steam! :blink:

For the last 2 weeks I got up 10 updates with exactly the same date - 8 March 2016 and this is getting frustating to say the least, so I decided to simple to exit Steam Client in systray when I don't play Steam games.

Just before I posted this I got 2-3 more 8 March 2016 updates in a row.  It's damn annoying and on top of that one cannot turn off that damn automatic update feature in Steam. :wallbash:

GDC Awards

Game of the year

Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)

The Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED / CD Project)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions / Konami)

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony Computer Entertainment)

Rocket League (Psyonix)

The biggest innovation

Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 / Nintendo)

Undertale (Toby Fox)

Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2 / Nintendo)

The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.)

Best debut

Studio Wildcard (ARK: Survival Evolved)

Toby Fox (Undertale)

Moon Studios (Ori and the Blind Forest)

Moppin (Downwell)

Steel Crate Games (Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes)

The best design

Rocket League (Psyonix)

Metal Gear Solid V (Kojima Productions / Konami)

Best Handheld/Mobile Game
    Lara Croft: GO (Montréal Square Enix / Square Enix)

Fallout Shelter (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)

Downwell (Moppin / Devolver Digital)

Her Story (Sam Barlow)

AlphaBear (Spry Fox)

Best visual art

Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios)

Star Wars Battlefront (DICE / Electronic Arts)

Best narrative

Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix)

Undertale (Toby Fox)

The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.)

Best sound

Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios)

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (The Chinese Room / Sony Computer Entertainment)

Crypt of the NecroDancer (Brace Yourself Games)

The best technology

Just Cause 3 (Avalanche Studios / Square Enix)

A couple of minutes ago I got two 8 March 2016 updates in a row then a minute later I got another update and now I read it was the latest update back in Aug 2015.  WTF is going on Steam! :blink:

For the last 2 weeks I got up 10 updates with exactly the same date - 8 March 2016 and this is getting frustating to say the least, so I decided to simple to exit Steam Client in systray when I don't play Steam games.

Just before I posted this I got 2-3 more 8 March 2016 updates in a row.  It's damn annoying and on top of that one cannot turn off that damn automatic update feature in Steam. :wallbash:

just got the march 8 update for the second time. It said though, that it was rereleased with additional fixes yesterday.

anyway, aside from that i do not see the problems you're reporting. might want to try a reinstall of steam or something (don't need to redownload the games for that).

Personally, i'm beginning to become fed up with steam myself slowly. start up takes forever, always greets you with ads, browsing is slow and it has no touch support to speak of.

The two touch games i bought for my win 8.1 tablet (x86, not ARM. full blown OS) i bought in windows store. there, i said it! That's what you made me do Gabe.

I've been shifting games away from Steam for some time now. Whenever GoG has a special on something, I happily grab it even if I've already got it on Steam. THAT is how much I hate Steam. I'm not alone either. Several of my friends have done the same and now only buy from GoG since GoG is getting a lot more first class games released there now.

I just wish Bethesda would see the light and start offering AAA releases there :P

So far most my GOG games are gog-exclusives. I like that the games are DRM free (on a technical level mostly, no personal feelings against drm. many older (cd era) games i have can no longer be installed without finding cracks somewhere, or getting them on gog. I have no issue with steam DRM per se as long as it works, but then again, who knows what happens), the fact they work to keep old games running, their site design and usability. Cloud saves and automatic update backend (i.e. no longer waiting for patches until a gog member manually creates the gog specific file, because it's created automatically once a daveloper uploads the files) are things i miss though. I hope these festures are coming soon, i'm not going to rebuy my Steam games before that, and i'd reconsider shifting if steam is faster at adding touch support. But it looks like they have much of their resources shifted to the steamOS development.

This is the first part of our real-time rendered short film “Adam”, created with the Unity engine by Unity’s Demo team.

The full length short will be shown at Unite Europe 2016 in Amsterdam.
It runs at 1440p on a GTX980 standard edition.

That looks incredible.

I want games done on this.

I've been shifting games away from Steam for some time now. Whenever GoG has a special on something, I happily grab it even if I've already got it on Steam. THAT is how much I hate Steam. I'm not alone either. Several of my friends have done the same and now only buy from GoG since GoG is getting a lot more first class games released there now.

I just wish Bethesda would see the light and start offering AAA releases there :P

Oh hey, since we're hating on Steam already: Does anyone know if there is a way to disable to stupid advertisement popup that comes each time you activate the steam client? Maybe there is an easy setting but i just never cared to search for it, not sure...

Steam -> Settings -> Interface. Should be the last checkbox on the page.

Oh hey, since we're hating on Steam already: Does anyone know if there is a way to disable to stupid advertisement popup that comes each time you activate the steam client? Maybe there is an easy setting but i just never cared to search for it, not sure...

I do not have any problems with advertisement popup in Steam.

But I "run" STEAM in Offline mode and block all Steam exe in firewall.

But this solution is not for everyone comfortable.

Heh, saw that last week. Just be careful Microsoft... the next one might be SkyNet and know what you did to this one... :troll:

Apparently people were really nice to the Chinese one, but the American one got bullied until she became a Nazi - kinda sad, really.

• 4 weeks later...

lol, that seems kind of pointless since they're just game saves and the actual game files are easily recovered if something goes wrong :P

• 3 weeks later...