NOT a Happy Camper

Hana

Put the original HD back in. So far so good besides it wanting to run windows repair on boot up, which it probably needs to by now. I told it to boot windows normally and right now have about 10 programs running, including the memory hog Photoshop, FF, the CS, blender, nifskope and various others. Pushing memory usage over 50% so far and no problems. Previously it would have crapped out after 2 or 3 programs open.Gonna hold off on the new mobo and test this some more.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hana

• Conner

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours later, even went out shopping, had dinner, and back. Left all the programs running, mem usage 60%, and so far all is well. Usually come back to a reboot or shut down. There's only one report in the event logs (something about a registry hive recovered) when there's usually 20-30 things in there.I may have beat this. *fingers crossed again*

Sadly I do' date=' and all of it bad :(Also all of it quite expensive in addition to being extremely irritating.[/quote']Amen, and you have my full condolences for it too.
I can pretty much put the virus issue to bed' date=' this is a brand new hard drive after all. Unless something crawled into my system in the 10 mins it took to load Norton, then meh.Think I'll go back to an ASUS mobo. Never had any problems with them. And now, well, I have a 500G HD that I didn't need in the first place.[/quote']Well, while it is possible, I do agree that it seems awfully unlikely, though, on the other hand, I've never had a great deal of luck with Norton's antivirus proving itself, but your experience may vary.At least you got a nice hard drive upgrade out of it? :chuckle:
Years ago' date=' I had a Gigabyte motherboard. For about 3 weeks. Then a capacitor exploded and leaked that gooey stuff all over my CPU and video card, frying both along with the motherboard. I vowed then never to touch another of their products again.[/quote']Ewww! :sick:
I may have beat this. *fingers crossed again*
I'll keep my virtual fingers crossed for you too. Gratz if it is finally beat. :)

Wow. I guess I can't say I'd be shocked that a BIOS update for a Gigabyte product would solve something like this, but there you go.I wouldn't worry about the chkdsk verification you got on first boot after having done this, Windows is probably still reeling from all the abuse it's taken. Might actually be testament to M$ that it survived this long and is still in a functional state. I can tell you right now linux would have folded long ago and would have required a funeral if it had to go through that.Did it let you put your full 8GB back in?

Linux and Windows are both fairly resilient, I suspect that Linux would also have required repairs but that it'd have survived too. ;)Who'd have thought to have her check for a BIOS update though? :facepalm:

So... one wonders if this fits in with the theme of this thread :Phttp://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/01/canada-gets-first-bitter-dose-of-metered-internet-billing.ars

Did it let you put your full 8GB back in?
Haven't tried it yet' date=' too scared, lol.
So... one wonders if this fits in with the theme of this thread :P
Eh' date=' this honestly doesn't bother me. The real ruling came last October, this isn't new. It's also been around for years, back when I worked for Bell 2 1/2 years ago I knew about this.http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-803.htm http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-255.htm Some dry reading on the latest ruling, is the announcement the ISP's will only get a 15% discount to connect to Bell's network.Current rate structure;
There is a flat-rate component that provides access and a pre-set amount of monthly usage, and there is a UBB rate component, whereby usage above pre-set thresholds is subject to further charges.
This is for all carriers and ISP's, Bell and Rogers Cable included. My cable internet has had this policy for 2 years now. My current package is capped at 60GB/month, with a $2.00/GB charge for going over. I've maybe run into this twice, thanks to my son and his streaming movies. This isn't going to change for me. What's going to change is the way 3rd party ISP's are billed to connect to the Bell or Rogers network.http://business.financialpost.com/2011/01/27/crtc-petitioned-to-stop-usage-based-billing-as-netflix-questions-its-canadian-future/
At issue for third-party ISPs is the ability to stay competitive against larger carriers such as Bell Canada and Rogers Communications. Prior to the October ruling, smaller ISPs were able to offer unlimited download packages as a way of undercutting the larger providers. They lost the ability to do that under the UBB regime.
It's basically forcing these ISP's to remove the flat rate portion of billing to their end customers to stay in business. How they pass this on to their customers is up to them.While the CRTC sometimes makes stupid decisions like this, they also sometimes get it right and push their weight around to do some good.

Yeah, I read a couple of articles on it at Ars Technica while I was poking around there. They also have an interesting article on how easy it was for Egypt to shut down their internet.As for your last one, I'm not sure I'd consider it a good thing for the CRTC to be going around banning songs like that. If I'm reading right. Any more than I think it's worthwhile for our FCC to have made such a stink over the Janet Jackson boob thing.

Heh, actually our "censor board" banned the song, the CRTC pushed them to reconsider. The fact it's a 20 year old song is just hilarious.

That UBB stuff sucks, but at least you're not getting hit for the extra $2/GB fee til after 60GB for the month.I'd read about the Money For Nothing ban back when AP carried the tale, Dragona and I laughed about it heartily. I can easily see exactly which parts caught their attention, but the song has only been airing, quite popularly, since 1985 (this being 2011, that makes it 26 years old, which rounds to being from three decades ago rather than two) so you'd really think anyone who was going to be offended by it might've already had their chance many many times over by now. :rolleyes:

Little update; Due to the uproar and petitions our gov't has told the CRTC to go back to the drawing board on that decision. It's not gonna fly. :)

• 4 weeks later...

My PC hates me. I swear.Long story short, it won't boot up. Keeps going into windows repair which can't fix whatever is wrong. So I put the other HD in that I recently bought, slaved my original, and ran a full Norton scan. It found a boot virus. Ok great, problem solved right? Wrong. I need to get into the registry of the slaved drive and fix a value it messed with .... is there any way to do this?

Well yes, regedit, but is that not the registry of the current C: drive?On another note, FixMbr is a pile of crap.

Since you've got that second drive, why not just reinstall the OS and programs to it and format the first one?I'm not aware of anything that will let you edit the registry on a drive that isn't the currently running OS.

Cause I'd much rather whine and cry about it, and wait for it to magically fix itself.

If that ever works out for you, let me know. I've got some things I'd like to apply that treatment to. Alternately, robots. The thing about having 25 30-60 lb boxes and a third floor apartment is that they're heavy. Heavy sucks.Also, that's a really crappy computer problem.

Well it didn't magically fix itself so I spent the day cursing at it. It's starting to fall into order.Stupid question time; nevermind, fixed it.

I think there is actually a way to make regedit modify an alternate registry, but I've never actually done it myself so I might be mistaken about that.Gratz on resolving it, whatever it was. Sorry that that whining/crying trick didn't work for you, it never works for me either. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

#$%@%*$#$@FFS@^*$*(($#$%^@&* !!!!!This is unbelievable. Spent a good hour this morning trying to get this soon to be doorstop to boot, AGAIN. After endless loops of Windows Repair cannot fix this computer and blue screens of a crucial process or thread is missing I broke down and resorted to a restore point, from 2 weeks ago.That point happened to be when I installed the CS, which was halfway through my previous full Ob and tools install. Meaning I again have to reinstall things like Blender, Nifskope, Gimp, Photoshop, PyFFI and Python. Not as bad as a full reinstall but bad enough.I'm extremely frustrated that I continually run into the same issues over and over again. I can't for the life of me think what I'm installing that's interfering with Windows boot, that has been causing the Windows Repair to launch every single fucking time I start my computer. I'm seriously considering dropping 64bit and going to 32bit. I'm starting to believe it's shitty compatibility issues. My daughter's PC has had zero issues with 32bit.Thank you for reading my rant of the day.

I doubt that it's the 64-bit versus 32-bit, per se, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was compatibility issues. In any event, you've got my full sympathy for your frustration and general digital misery. I'd lend you my soapbox icon but I still haven't brought myself to dealing with my downed server yet... I keep telling myself that I really need to deal with it because it's vital, but I keep coming up with excuses to not have to deal with trying to rebuild all that I'll have lost in the last two years. :(

I'm pretty sure it's not 64 vs 32 bit. Many MANY people are happily using 64 bit versions of Vista and Windows 7, myself included. Were it not for Windows 7, I wouldn't still be modding Oblivion because the game barely worked in 32 bit XP.Something in your setup is making your PC angry, or you still have an intermittent failure in one of the parts. Barring hardware, have you made sure not to use anything other than approved drivers for it? Are all the programs you're trying to install the right ones? Not using 64 bit Python are you?Conner, just a small amount of perspective, but if you're getting along fine without the server, one begins to wonder if it is indeed as vital as you think?

Just checked the python pages, no, looks like I'm using the 32bit version of 2.6.5. Now I notice there's a 2.6.6. so I dl'd that and will update, assuming Bash doesn't work with the latest 2.7. yet.My NVIDIA driver is 64 bit. Is that wrong?

If your OS is 64 bit, you should be using 64 bit drivers for everything that needs them. So you're fine there unless that particular version of the driver is flaky. nVidia isn't known for their driver stability.