Skyrim Mod Ideas

Mael

Globally, yes. But not for a specific item in a specific skill as Dwip proposed. That's my issue. You can only slow down the whole skill, not make it so crafting a bunch of iron daggers eventually causes experience gains to bottom out.

Well ok. I kind of like elements from both mod ideas. Finding pieces of high level armor you have to "glue" back together sounds interesting to me. Provided it isn't ridiculously hard to find those pieces. I also like Dwip's idea of stopping the shopkeepers from being the 7/11 of ingots and ore beyond iron and steel. Exception being orc smiths should also sell Orichalium (however you spell it). All that other stuff, moonstone, quicksilver, ebony, etc you need to find out in the world. Mine it or kill for it or whatever.Arrow fletching is mandatory either way. I hate how there's no source for the stuff other than shopkeepers occasionally having arrows better than steel. My lizard guy runs out of the good ones WAY too fast and has to scavenge shitty ass ancient nord ones to fill in. It would also give archers a reason to give a fuck about smithing, because seriously, I don't have a reason to. It feels completely forced to have to spend time making a sack full of iron daggers to grind the skill just so I can eventually get the Arcane Smith perk and be able to improve things like the DB armor with it. Definitely need to include the variety of feather sources. Chickens, quills, hawks (if you can get them out of the sky), and hagraven feathers.I'd also consider it mandatory to include mining and smelting as ways to nudge the smithing skill, so that there's some actual purpose beyond just gathering and melting shit. It would relieve some of the dullness of having to spend one's life making daggers.At least we have ready access to sources of leather. All manner of animal hides can be used for that already so they at least have that covered.Oh, and Dwip, you keep your hands off my spot on the lake west of Riverwood! We obviously need to talk so we don't end up stepping on each other when it comes time for me to drop a castle out there.

See' date=' I'm of the mind that one should work towards their rewards. Given how easy Smithing is to train, that effectively makes it free handouts once you get your skill high enough and get the perks you want. the moment I hit 70 Smithing, I had full, upgraded Glass armor in five minutes. Despite only ever seeing a single piece in my entire game up to that point while dungeon-diving. Something is very wrong with that picture. When armor is supposed to be rare, allowing the player to just press the "gimme" button for a few hundred coins obliterates the feeling that you really got something special. I'm trying to find a way to put that feeling of accomplishment back, you worked hard to get everything together for that rare armor, and once you put the pieces back together and see that brand new suit of Glass, you feel like you truly earned it.[/quote']Agree to disagree though we may, I do think our goals are the same. Just that I'd rather replace the create x armor perks with quests, and you'd rather find pieces. I do ultimately believe that your way overly limits the player, nerfs the whole skill far too much, and solves a problem that isn't actually a problem, but milage varies, you get to do your own mod, and I probably needed an excuse for AFK_Tweaks, Skyrim Edition anyway.@Samson - I'll try and remember to give you a screenshot of where I'm trying to go. If all else fails, there is a spot NW of Whiterun I'm considering, and plenty of area around Falkreath to examine.

True, the smiths need to stop stocking ebony and malachite and the like. Makes it way too easy to improve those items. And fletching, we need that.I'll keep pondering the Smithing puzzle, see if I can find something that nerfs Smithing down a notch, but not too aggressively.

@Samson - So the spot I was considering is roughly where the scavenger camp along the south road is. Insofar as that's the best stretch of wide open shore there, that's probably about where you were going. Having looked around, I'm also not particularly certain I really want to go there, and am reconsidering my options.

I don't actually know where that is but it sounds far enough away from where I'm tentatively going to build. I'm going for the western shore of the lake. There's a mill at the south end of what I want where the village part will go. I need it next to the mountains so there's some place cool enough to have the castle. It's not exactly the river with a dock I wanted but there isn't such a place anywhere in the game that would fit. So the lake it is. I anticipate this lake becoming the next Weye in terms of everyone building stuff around it.arthmoorspalace.jpgThe blue marker is roughly what I'm talking about.

Yeah, that lake is totally going to be Weye II: The Revenge of Overcrowding. Hence why I'm now trying to get away from it. You're really far from where I was thinking about going, which is more like where your mouse pointer is or somewhat east.

I'm going to put something on the islands, so you're both safe! :DTK, I loved the hardcore stuff for FO3. It was honestly the only way I'd play it after a while. I even got rid of VATS.But when it comes to profession grinding... Having played WoW for the last seven years, let me tell how little I want my game to be about leveling a profession.Here's my less angry take on it: I think the profession as-is is fine. I also understand the point you guys are trying to make. What I would rather see, than a mod that makes the skill in general harder, is a mod that gives you better advantages for doing quests and finding pieces. Too, just removing the blacksmith training from the people who offer it would go a long way towards nerfing the climb. But it's actually cheaper to buy ingots and craft than it is to get trained after skill 50 anyway.So what is this BAIN thing and how does it work? There's only one .esp that I want to use right now, the one to stop kill animations, but the data files option is unselectable for me.

BAIN is the installer module for Wrye Bash. You'd not have need of it with just an ESP file. The mods tab in Bash though, that would be handy since you could activate it there.You're not the only person I've seen post about the data files option not being available either. That's going to make things interesting for people who only see mods on Steam and assume it's all one-click install and play.

NMM does allow you to click to activate esp files even if you don't use NMM to install. As far as using it to download and install, that will only work on Nexus. But I have added files manually and been able to activate through the Nexus Manager and had it work while not being successful with the regular one.

Why is it a pain? Ok, so Python gave me some issues when I first installed it but otherwise its no more difficult than any other program.Also, I'm with you on hardcore FO3 being the bomb. It was just me, my FN FAL and a whole world of MMM baddies out to get me (which they usually did every 2 minutes). I even made a

, which isn't terribly slick of professional but I'm reasonably proud of. Well, maybe not that proud.

- Kynesgrove turns on named dragons' date=' who then show up near dragon graves (which are foolishly unmarked, and remind me to make a mod for that).[/quote']Indeed, an excellent idea. Ideally you'd get them all marked on your map by using the burial site map as well, and not marked on your map prior to Kynesgrove because you have no in-game reason to know there's any significance to them.

Team Bash has finally finished porting BAIN over to Skyrim, so I finally have my desired install manager back. And a good thing, too, it was starting to get difficult to manage all my texture replacers without it.

This mod is one of those really simple things that makes a heckuva difference.It's an animation replacer for the 3rd Person dual wield idle and sprint animations. The idle is tweaked so that you no longer twitch around when turning by your character entering and exiting his pose, and the sprint replacement makes it look less cringe-worthy ridiculous. And none of the quality of the original animations is harmed.Highly recommended.

Only makes a difference if you're a 3P player who dual wields, but yeah, that's a pretty lame ass bug they left in :PSomething that sprang to mind while playing the MQ with my conjurer.

When you're asked to go find Esbern, you need to go to the Ratway. The game attempts to railroad you into joining the Thieves Guild in order to be able to ask Brynjolf about him. Now, obviously I found this is NOT required but only if you already knew this ahead of time.

Suppose you don't WANT to join the Thieves Guild and instead want to rid Riften of the plague. The guild is already on its last legs there as it is. Theoretically it shouldn't take much to finish the job.It would have some long term effects too because

Maven Black-Briar is the replacement Jarl and only got there due to her connections. So an alternate would need to be chosen.

Anyway, much like the DB has a "destroy them" option, so too should the Thieves Guild.(also seems you can't use multiple spoiler tags in one post. damn you QSFP)

The MQ also tries to railroad you into joining the College of Winterhold when...

You need to get information about the Elder Scroll you need to obtain

Am I right in saying that this is the first Elder Scrolls game ever that tries to force you into joining certain guilds?Even in Oblivion when you needed to go to the Mages Guild for info on the Mythic Dawn the librarian was kind enough to let you visit her in a public area.I think a mod that de-railroads those Guilds from the Main Quest would be rather popular. I might also consider removing Forbidden Legend's presence is Saarthal, because as it is now, it is also railroading you to Winterhold.

There's also a word wall in Saarthal which causes the same problem since I don't think you can get in there without joining the College.(also, bug fixed. regex codes suck ass)

And another thing. Why the hell did Bethesda remove the crime alarm distance? I end up saving-and-reloading every single time I pickpocket a lone traveler on the road because if I get caught... insta-bounty.How the fuck did he tell the guards when we are in the middle of fucking nowhere? Telepathy? Give me a break.... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:Also, I love how dealing with him does not remove my bounty when he was the lone witness. So much for this brand new witness system.... Are the bunnies reporting my crimes now? Looks like even more need to burn....

There's a way to get the scroll WITHOUT joining the college?Imagine my annoyance when my two-hander orc did the entire forbidden legend quest, only to wind up at Saarthal going "Argh!"I don't mind the guild-specific word walls particularly, they mostly make sense, but I could really get behind removing the railroading.

You can just go to Septimus directly. But that's kinda next-to-impossible without directions given where he is found. You need to know where he is located beforehand. Good luck trying to explain how your character knew that if you are roleplaying.

Frankly -- I'd love a mod that makes it possible to find all those word walls without being forced to join those guilds. And every one of the guilds had at least one dungeon with a word wall that you can only find by doing at least part of that guild/faction quest line.

You mean there's more than the DB and College that has word walls locked away? Seriously, I sense a collective effort here to gather this information and fix it so that you don't have to railroad yourself into all these other unrelated faction quests. I'd go so far as to say it's almost worth its own WiP thread.