Skyrim Mod Ideas

Mael

I just couldn't help myself TK, I reported a number of posts in that thread because they were so offensive.And yes you are right about the being railroaded. It did get the thread locked while the mods look at it at least.I support the idea of a mod destroying the Thieves Guild instead of joining it.I support the idea of creating content that allows you to access word walls without being required to join a faction.

See, I told you that was going to end with the thread being closed. Mod reposted that he's not going to re-open the thread. :tongue:Hopefully, I was able to avoid going down the road so many others did. Its been half an hour since the padlock and I haven't received any PMs from mods, so I would guess I got through that maelstrom clean. I guess maturity is too much to ask of the crowd in those forums right now.And I'm not sorry that the thread was locked. It needed to be; way out of control.Anyways, enough derailing this topic.

I elected to take over the discussion about a kid friendly overhaul. That was another really hot topic with the first thread about it getting locked and the original poster not willing to start a new conversation in spite of an invitation for a moderator to do so.My kids are 15 and 18 so having kid friendly is no longer a personal interest, but there were so many people in that thread requesting something that I thought it worthwhile to get a more constructive conversation going, with help from that moderator of course.

The flat out factual inaccuracies alone were enough to drive me crazy by the time *I* responded and these idiots added 5 more pages??!? And some of these people are known gurus in the series and are spewing things I know to be lies.I've played Morrowind. Not once was I forced into joining a faction. The Blades don't count as they weren't an actual useful organization beyond your Balmora contact. I wasn't forced to be in any of the guilds OR the great houses.In Oblivion, you didn't have to join the Mages Guild to be able to access Tar-Meena to get the information she had.Skyrim? Nope, you're forcefully railroaded into the College of Winterhold and very strongly pushed into the Thieves Guild. While you can find Esbern without them you have no way to know this on your first play through. Brynjolf is very insistent about making you help him with his little scheme before he'll help you. There's no in-game reason for any of your subsequent players to know either. Delphine telling you to go to the Ratway isn't really good enough, because without asking about it you'd never really know what that was.Bethesda obviously felt like addressing the aspects of destroying a faction since they gave the DB a back door that provided a motive to wipe them out instead of joining them officially. Why this didn't carry over in Riften for the TG is beyond me.I'm also not sure anyone's claims about the MQ and Civil War are right.

I played through the entire war with my lizard before having gone to Blackreach. In fact I'm pretty sure I hadn't even gone to see Septimus yet. The war ended without so much as a peep from the peace conference. I didn't even get to see that until my conjurer progressed past Alduin's Bane and the Jarl of Whiterun told me to get lost.

I would like to see choices made available. Since that Kid Friendly Overhaul discussion is going pretty well, I am going to start a thread on Free Form play to see if it's even possible to get this kind of discussion moving in a positive direction over at Beth.

I have decided to take charge of the mod that deals with removing the faction railroading from Skyrim.Full thread is here.I won't be able to start work on this until the CK is out, since editing quests is beyond the scope of the modding tools we have available to us now. And even if it was not, I am not going to make this mod with improper tools. Too much can go wrong when you are altering quests.

I have decided to take charge of the mod that deals with removing the faction railroading from Skyrim.

Full thread is here.

I won't be able to start work on this until the CK is out' date=' since editing quests is beyond the scope of the modding tools we have available to us now. And even if it was not, I am not going to make this mod with improper tools. Too much can go wrong when you are altering quests.[/quote']Thank you TK. I'm not the only one who will be grabbing it when it is available. Feel free to ask me when you need testing.

Indeed, thanks. Hopefully we can all contribute a bit to its refinement after the CK comes along :)

• 4 weeks later...
Got another one for ya!This mod will focus on redoing the game's economy to make it regional instead of everything being taken out of the same generic vendor tables. Stocks and hopefully prices will become dependent on what Hold the merchant dwells in.

• 1 month later...

Last post Jan 11th? Did everyone lose their fire?I know I did for a while. Hehe.I'd love to see a general Save Riften From Itself epic quest. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the Thieves' Guild, but the guy I'm playing now is a warrior for love and justice, just like Sailor Moon. I hoped that helping Mjoll get Grimsever back would spark some more "let's beat up bad guys in Riften" quests, but alas. I think that would be a great place to start, though, especially since she's companionable.The problem is content. You'd first have to deal with the Thieves' Guild, then the Black-Briars and eventually the Jarl herself (via dealing with the corrupt city guard, etc). I don't much care about what happens to the TG members, but Maven should be put in prison, not killed, IMO. Better story.Also, it would be awesome to be able to turn Sapphire out of the TG and Indaren (or whatever Maven's daughter's name is) to the side of love and justice (through alchemical poisons of course). Maybe Sapphire could be a double agent and Indaren could mix up a sleeping agent to use on guards.On Sapphire's part, part of the quest line for her could be acquiring the items she's tasked to get by the TG without stealing them, or by creating facsimiles. Gold statues could be made with ingots and a sufficient blacksmithing skill, or you could do another quest for the blacksmith so he can do it, etc. Other random items could be purchased through the Pawned Prawn after doing favors for whoever dude gets the items from, etc.Of course, near the end, your plan will be uncovered by Maven and you'll have to do some crazy shit to keep everything from falling apart.Afterwards, if you don't already have Honeyside, it would be a reward for you, while Mjoll could get the Black-Briar manor and put up the two beggars and Indaren.What to do with the Ragged Flagon afterwards...

That right there is an excellent idea. My conjurer is on board for some thief whomping and cleaning up the city. I mean, come on,

Maven Black-Briar becomes the god damned Jarl if you side with the Imperials?!?

That's a travesty, and the whole Mjoll thing reads as a deliberate hook left behind by Bethesda for just this sort of creative expansion.And no, we haven't lost our fire. It's burning brightly in the CK. Although the room is also filled with the smoke of a thousand bugs.

• 11 months later...

OBMM won't unpack the BSA, but it will view it.

I just check that OBMM can unpack BSA a least what I could see with OBMM-Extended anyway, but I'm not sure of how it's with original OBMM though.

I would love to see a friendlier, robin hood type quest line here.

If I understand you correctly.  You mean a get rid of the scum bags in Riften quest line.  If so then I agree and I like it. :thumbup:

I've also some mod ideas in Skyrim so here it goes.

I don't know if anyone of you have seen it, but I did post one of my mod ideas on BSF and that was months ago so it's probably pruned by now.  Anyway what I had in mind is to an option to sell some stuff that the quartermasters for any war camp desperately need for... arrows (plenty), all weapon types plus all light armour, except for the armour of the enemy unless they want to infiltrate an enemy war camp.

All stuff you can sell is your payment to rent a bedroll for one night, because several times when I was in the wilderness with lot of loot I was getting bored like hell to get back to the nearest city just to sell off my loot then go back all the way for a simple quest.

Another idea I had was to have a reward for the player when he/she had been recognised as a blood kin to the Orc's and the reward is to have house nearby their stronghold, because you can't live in the longhouse and the only thing you can do is to sleep in a bedroll that was often in a tent.  I found one spot that's suitable for a cabin is next to the Reachwind Eyrie dwemer tower plus I like the view there.

• 1 month later...

This may have been suggested before or even being worked on (haven't found it though) but a mod that I think would be pretty good to have is the ability to have progress in Skyrim after the Civil War and the MQ. The one thing I never liked much about TES is it's a little to static for me. Arthmoor's "Gildergreen Regrown" does a nice job showing what I'm talking about, and what if that was expanded to other stuff? I'm not talking about anything drastic per say, but simple things like...

Windhelm Cleaning Up/ Rebuilding - Logically after the war the city should have money again to make improvments. Nothing drastic of- course but over a period of game months the player would see some improvments to the city.

Or even more drastic stuff like Helgen being rebuilt or cleaned up / bulldozed after a few game months.

If Empire wins - Stormcloaks will stop spawning/ camps will clean up after a few game months or vice versa if the Stormcloaks win.

Anything esle that would make sense  for there to be some progress on after some game time when the the MQ/ Civil War has completed but maintains the lore of TES.

• 3 months later...

Windhelm Cleaning Up/ Rebuilding - Logically after the war the city should have money again to make improvments. Nothing drastic of- course but over a period of game months the player would see some improvments to the city.

Or even more drastic stuff like Helgen being rebuilt or cleaned up / bulldozed after a few game months.

I agree.  Although rebuilding Windhelm is probably best to have a separate mod for similar to Helgen Reborn, which was released earlier this year.

I've another location that needs to be rebuilt and that's Fort Dunstad.

When I visit Fort Dunstad for the first time and saw the door into The Stumbling Sabrecat, I knew that if someone wants to rebuild Fort Dunstad or do other things in the same area it will be a good mod.

• 1 month later...

I just had got an idea, but first I need to ask.  Does Hearthfire have a MQ similar to what Dawnguard and Dragonborn has?

My idea is just to expand the adoption (similar to my mod idea) concept that was introduced in Hearthfire and let the player be sort of a caretaker for every Orphaned Children there is in Skyrim before you can buy property and build your own house just like what you can do in the Falkreth Hold, Hjaalmarch, the Pale.  The vanilla quests probably needs to change a little and those quests can give you discount when buying materials for your new home.

There's no story based quest for HF, just several radiant style quests and the ones to buy the properties from the Jarls.

I think Hearthfire should be free of charge if you consider all the bugs there is in Hearthfire, but still you need to pay €4.99 for it on Steam a least it I was paying when I bought it the same time Dragonborn was released earlier this year.

• 3 weeks later...

A really god mod that was never done before (I've never seen it before at least) would be a mod where followers could be able of recharge their weapon enchants provided  they have charged soul gems in their inventory. AFT have that functionality and the modder provide the script files for someone that would like to develop that. 

I think Dheuster doesn't mind if anyone want to create such a mod.

Permission for AFT

• Author notes Feel free to extract code snippets from this mod and use them in your own mod. However, I expect mods that use code from this mod to be at least 51% or more of the other authors work. What you should NOT do (without asking me) is download AFT, make a few minor code changes and then try to release it as your own creation.

The default Bonus Outfit is a nocturnal model fix/retexture that I previously did. For the most part it is property of Bethesda. I dont care what you do with it and I am sure they dont care as long as it stays within their games. I wouldn't recommend trying to port it to another game though.

The dance animations are from Umpa. If you want to use those, make sure to credit him. (See credits)
  • File credits Altered Texture and Models Property of Bethesda/Skyrim.

Dance Animations provided by Umpa:
    Dance Animations for Modder: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2658

• 1 month later...

A wee bit of a necro post here, but I've had thoughts going round and round in my head over and over again. 

Skyrim is a cold place.  A seriously cold place, especially up in the north and on the mountains.  But do you ever see anyone slipping on ice in the game?

I think there's a mention of that sort of thing here and there in NPC dialogue.  I recall that Klimmek hints at having slipped and fallen with the line "7,000 Steps indeed... next time they need to build it closer to the ground..." although it may just be him griping about how long it takes to get up to high hrothgar, you would think that slipping on icy stone steps is pretty inevitable especially if you go running up and down them.

I can't be the only one who was thinking "shouldn't this path be a little slippery and dangerous?" while on the way up there.  The dialogue made the trip up sound positively dangerous, but other than a few critters it's really not that different from travelling to any other location.  But if you had to fight the elements (i.e. the ice underfoot) it would add a whole new dimension of immersion and more importantly, risk to the trip up (and down).  It would also bring in tactical opportunities as well, say a bunch of bandits comes running after you, you could risk running across an icy surface to try and get away.  If you could lure them onto the icy patch to slow them down or even send them plummeting down a crevasse! :devil:  Though it could backfire and stop you dead in your tracks because you've slipped, or even send you flying down the crevasse instead. 

My thinking is, if there's ice around then there's a chance of you or NPCs slipping, falling or even completely losing it and ragdolling down.  The chance obviously changing depending on velocity, direction changes, the material underneath the ice, equipment, race (frost trolls might be a little more resistant to slipping than, say an argonian)  and perhaps even the weather (blizzard making it harder to see where you're putting your feet, making you more likely to slip compared to a clear day?). 

A big old job, even if it didn't need to be put on every inch of skyrim (not all of it is icy after all) there's still a hell of a lot of icy terrain there.  If it were to be done, perhaps a small region could be done as a test, something like the ascent to High Hrothgar?

Since you mention High Hrothgar and Klimmek, which will give you a quest the first time you visit Ivarstad provided that you speak to him.

As all we know Klimmek has a deliver for the Greybeards at High Hrothgar, but he is getting older and his legs are not what's used to be, so that's why he ask the player if he/she can deliver the food supply to the Greybeards at High Hrothgar.

I haven't thought about it before but when I'm thinking about it then it doesn't make sense, because it's obvious a least it's to me that Klimmek couldn't survived without having a place to stay on High Hrothgar just over the night before he travels back to Ivarstad. 

There is also another thing that cannot I understand why Bethesda didn't added a sort of a shelter on the same spot where these The Way of the Voice tablets is located along the route from Ivarstad to High Hrothgar.  A least have a shelter on the 3/4 or 5/6 tablet preferably 2 or 3 tablets between them.