The Big Fallout 4 Thread

VaultDuke

Was just coming to post this!   :P

I got a little too excited when I saw that preorders are getting the Perks/SPECIAL poster

P.S. - Oh, and finally the first video where overanalyzing will pay off...  Someone is probably already making a list of all the Perks and their descriptions.  At least the ones covered in that video.   Now that we have a clear shot of the poster, people will be able to match up all the Perks with the existing Perks art in previous games.

i have no idea what Todd was telling though out the video, because i was pressing pause so much :D

I agree, the post i a nice preoder bonus, though i fear it will be folded inside the package, otherwise i'd be preorderig right now

edit: btw overanalyzing. i'm sure you know that overanalyzer king from the bethesda forums and hish massive perk speculations.

I was stunned when i saw that there actually is a perk called VANS like he said. was that one visible in one of the footage during E3?

grats. Personally i think aside from the collecting aspect, i'd not have used the pib boy much any way. I'm thinking about getting one of the recently announced action figures and the art book. those i'd appreciate.

Nerdgasm:

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4s-character-system/2015/09/24/31

I really like what they did with the Perks and SPECIAL. To me this looks like their best designed leveling system so far, and i think i'll prefer that change over all the predecessors in the fallout franchise.

I'm no expert ...

But from what I saw addition of new perk will not be as easy as in FO3/FNV.

While at all possible.

What would not surprise me at all given the recent Beth behavior.

And of course Beth had to cut this and that.

Fallout 4 70 perks (without ranks)

Wiki FO3 perks  62 regular perks (without ranks)

Wiki FNV perks

89 regular perks (without ranks)

We say goodbye to Skills.

I hope I'm wrong and it will not be so much castrated and simplified the game I think.

But taking into account how the TES series with each release are gelded I will not be surprised.

Edited by InsanePlumber

have you read the text? it does explain pretty well how it works, and it seems to work real well to me.

also: there are perks off the perk chart, learned by finding the old skill books. so, similar things could be done by modders.

additionally, adding new perk trees was also impossible in Skyrim, but look at what Campfires does....

there's always a way ;)

have you read the text? it does explain pretty well how it works, and it seems to work real well to me.

also: there are perks off the perk chart, learned by finding the old skill books. so, similar things could be done by modders.

additionally, adding new perk trees was also impossible in Skyrim, but look at what Campfires does....

there's always a way ;)

That's why I wrote that I HOPE that I'm wrong.

So, various places are reporting that Fallout 4 is 28GB on Xbox One.  I think on PC, Skyrim with the HD texture packs barely reaches 10GB.  I'm going to guess that it will be at least as large on PC as on Xbox One. 

I'm hoping this equates to much higher detail assets, and additionally more total assets.  I believe a much larger portion is going to go toward voice acting than any of the previous games, since the amount of dialogue increased considerably.  But that's probably like 2GB extra (~4GB voice total) at most, unless the audio is higher quality too.

28GB is pretty hefty. My Witcher 3 folder is 31GB with only official content installed so that's probably pretty standard.

Me, I guess I'm naively hoping that 28GB will be more than just about pretty pictures and lots of dialogue. I'm hoping it signals the inclusion of a whole hell of a lot more content to enjoy too.

Sadly it's no indication of gameplay content. How big is the skyrim.esm? I think even if fallout.esm was ten times as big it made no signifcant contribution to those 28GB.

Iirc skyrims sound and music were stored in horribly low quality (47kbps)

64 bit executable, so it would stand to reason the BSA format would follow as well. I'd wager the 2GB file size limitation was a 32 bit artifact.

Then again, Steam still doesn't have the system specs and we're 5 weeks out. That seems odd to me.

GStaff mentioned they intend to have the data by mid october, which i agree is awefully late.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1536888-hardware-assistance/?p=24331590

I'm not sure why this will be revealed so late. I suppose they have to work real to make the game work on an average PC this time (as opposed to optimizing for a console (PS3) for Skyrim, which was the bottle neck back then; which they didn't manage to propperly optimize for in time; if ever.)

The average Steam PC is lacking a few features, that the consoles offer, despite their cheaper hardware. 8GB shared Memory between GPU and CPU e.g., while the average (or propperly most common) PC has 2 GB of isolated VRAM. Also access to a few shading tricks that will be available on PC only with dx12

I hope i'm wrong though

So I guess just fall back on the relatively safe bet. If your PC can run Witcher 3, it's virtually guaranteed to be able to handle Fallout 4 as well.

Now with Steam new refund policy, editors can't do anymore what they want with PC users. The last Batman incredible fiasco has struck as a warning, and one can hope that editors learnt a lesson. PC users want a real difference between their version and the console version, not a poor and limited port. Maybe it's related.

A two hour refund window is hardly going to change anything. Bethesda games are notorious for their issues not showing up until much later.

I beg to differ, it did change everything for Batman Arkham Knight, an AAA title made by a company which had very positive reputation before, thanks to previous games with overwhelmingly positive reviews. Of course I don't talk here of quest-breaking bugs or savegame bloating issues, like we usually see with Bethesda games. I'm not stupid. :P We were talking of hardware specifications : in less than even 1 hour you can see if the game is able to make full use of your shiny new powerful nvidia or amd card, and if you'll get a full, high quality experience, or just a poor console port.

The Batman game was one of the most anticipated games of 2015, and console users say it's a truly amazing game, but because of absence of PC optimization there were so many refunds by Steam (within the two-hour limit) that the company decided to suspend sales of the PC version while they work to address these PC performance issues.

That's why I thought that this strange silence from Bethesda about the PC recommended specs could be related. They have to be very cautious about the hardware they recommend, because the game has to be really optimized for these specs.

The Fallout Anthology apparently comes with a spot for Fallout 4.  https://imgur.com/a/YnCox

I like the Mini-Nuke but otherwise I'm not too interested in physical copies of the older games.   It seems like a nice collectible, but I'm already spending a ton of money on the Pip-Boy Edition and the collector's hardcover guide and the art book. 

I'd hold out for this one personally:  http://news.toyark.com/2015/08/30/fallout-4-power-armor-preview-by-threezero-174440

Even in its unpainted state it's amazing.  The ThreeZero stuff is insanely high quality too.   But I'm guessing it will be too expensive for me to justify getting. 

Edit:  Oops,  you appear to have removed your talk about action figures.  :) 

yeah, i figured i mentioned them before :P. didn't want to seem too hyped :D

anyway, yes, 20 bucks for an action figure next to my gaming rig are more in line of what i'm thinking is a good investment. anything beyond 100 bucks seems a bit excessive to me.

after a quick amazon search for awesome merchandise, i think if i would want to make a big statement, i'd drop 40 euro on these badass prints for my living room:

81tqa72H7wL._SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

About time they put out the system requirements. Glad they finally put the 64-bit issue to rest.