The Big Fallout 4 Thread

VaultDuke

The dog was found wasn't he. And his name was dogmeat. But dunno if that's a custom name or his actual name.

When you find him at the Red Rocket gas station, it just says "DOG".  I'm assuming you can name him later.   And yeah, he would appear to be a random dog you find, though he's awfully obedient right off the bat. :P   I mean, he somehow knows that you are telling him to go pick up a wrench within a minute of meeting him?   MUH IMMERSIONS!   :troll:

Oh, and yeah, one of the dialogue options is to ask him about his owner. 

ah I imagined, the way that dog sniffed on the food bowl and the kid's rocket, that it was searching for (what turned out to be) you specifically in the teaser trailer

finally get to watch the show.

for the FO4 video on YT: at 6:59, no reflection of protagonist. illusion broken.

just kidding :D

8:30 did the Mr Handyman just call him by his name? Will this be in the final game with some kind of fancy voice tech to pronounce any name?

8:35 ok should have waited that 5 seconds :D

8:45: called it. hair physics. less impressed by the lip animations though

8:57: generate the baby based on the parents? not sure they got the skin color right though ;)

9:30: i sure love Bethesda's take on the character creation/intro sequence of their fallout games.

final remarks: the Pip-Boy is great, but seeing as you mostly navigate by swipes, and that turn wheel is unused is sad. and I love the crafting system and the heavy power armor. it kind of looks like it will be available early, but have restricted use, maybe a fuel system, or expensive repairs or something.

P.S.:

Community: 'Bethesda, you are bad at writing good companions with intricate dialog and believable background stories.'

Bethesda: 'You are right; but here, have a dog.'

Community: 'Best companion ever!'

Community: 'Your storylines suck!'

Bethesda: 'Make your own!'

Community: 'Yay, crafting and tower defense!'

:huh:

Is it just me or have they become better at dodging their weaknesses and playing their strengths? They sure still know how to roll the hype-train th0ough :D

WTF? regular non-game centric german news has best Todd Howard Interview currently? (at least the one with the most direct question asked :D)

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/games/fallout-4-interview-mit-entwickler-todd-howard-a-1039395.html

"SPIEGEL ONLINE: Bei der Microsoft-Pressekonferenz wurde bekannt gegeben, dass per PC erstellte Fan-Erweiterungen auch auf der Xbox One laufen sollen. Wird man für manche Mods bezahlen müssen? Bei "Skyrim" hat Bethesda mit einer Mod-Bezahlmöglichkeit experimentiert, die nach Fan-Protesten zurückgezogen wurde.

Howard: Wie lang war das Bezahlsystem online? 24 Stunden? Ich kann nur für den jetzigen Zeitpunkt sprechen, aber aktuell gibt es keine Pläne für ein Bezahlsystem.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Wie "Fallout 4" wurden auch schon andere Spiele sehnlich von den Fans erwartet, doch nicht immer lösten sie ein, was sie versprachen. Bei "Assassin's Creed: Unity" etwa ärgerten sich viele Spieler über Zusatzkäufe, die darin angeboten wurden. Gibt es etwas Derartiges in "Fallout 4"?

Howard: Nein.

"

Translation (by me)

"SO: On the Microsopft press conference it was revealed, that fan-made mods from the PC are coming to the Xbox. Will we have to pay for some of them? Bethesda experimented with payed-for mods for Skyrim, which were pulled after fan protest.

Howard: How long was that online? 24 hours? I can only speak for the current time, but currently there are no plans for a pay-system.

SO: Like FO4, many games have been graved for by fans but later didn't deliver what they promised (this is a weird sentence in german as well, and makes for a bad transition in the interview, so excuse me, if the translation is equally awkward). Many players were angry about AC: Unity's micro transactions. Will there be something similar in FO4?

Howard: No."

Oddly enough, this is how the interview ends :shrug:

If I had to guess, they send their intern, and lucky for us, he's a gamer and asked the questions we care about :D

edit: pretty much: http://www.spiegel.de/impressum/autor-15966.html

the rest of the interview is basically a recap of the press conference. And stupid questions by the journalist. (like: will we ever see a FO set in Europe, to which Todd replied that FO is a very American game, as far as the Propaganda, Humor and Futurism humor are concerned. another question was about the lack of multiplayer. I smirked at the answer: because it would be a different game, then. also, FO is about being a lone wanderer)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are great, though the way they cut it makes it look like we will get the Power Armor way early. Mind you, there is talk that durability of equipment might only apply to power armor this time. What we have seen so far suggests that tinkering with it will be a big part of the game. So getting it early may be ok, if indeed they transformed it into something situational that needs to be kept in shape, repaired and refueled. The initial boarding sequence suggests some from of container is injected into the bag before entry. It's worn on top of regular armor.

Some other things can be spotted in the trailer (most already known from e3:

'summonable' private vertibird

Shooting vertibirds and bigger airships off the air

Raiders seeking cover

Death claw dodging and generally having tons of animations and different attacks

Raider psycho and android loosing parts of armor and face when being shot at, ghoul fighting (and losing against/being ragdolled by dogmeat) with one lost arm, arm lying on ground

Similar destruction like on the big raider could be seen for a power armor in the red rocket garage in the earlier footage

The Combat trailer is fucking great and hillarious at times. That song including the lyrics!!! "Ready to fuck some shit up" :D

I just realized, that for FO4 Bethesda has chosen what must be the lowest area compression in all of their games. If the fans that did try to locate the place of vault 111 are right, then the area in fact consists just of a few houses in a few streets (it's in a natural reserve), and the whole game area just spans boston and its surroundings. if the game play "walk through the area" time is comparable to skyrim, this would mean a lot. the settlements in FO4 (the beginning area and boston as far as I have seen) look much more real and believable (though I don't think they are perfectly to scale, maybe 1/10 in house density and distance?)

I believe they have already been "proven" wrong, they upped a video where they said they would have to re-calculate but it hasn't materialised as far as I've seen.

Todd Howard has however stated it is "about the same size as Skyrim".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/interviews/a654353/fallout-4-interview-todd-howard-talks-mods-in-game-building-and-map-size.html#~pjng3In6qXZPih

Edit: I think I've misread your point though ;)

yes, i think they chose a ambiguous expression here on purpose. i expect it takes the same amount of time to wander from one side of the FO4 map to the other, than it take to wander through Skyrim.

but the "imaginary" distance will be different. one if Boston + surrounds, so more or less the greater area of one city, while the other represents a whole province.

now, does that mean it's smaller than skyrim? i don't think so.

edit: here's the quote:

"I avoid answering that, and I'll tell you why. If you look at our previous stuff, it's kind of like that. We don't actually measure it like that. Because Skyrim is one size, but the mountains take up a lot of space. That's not really a game place, it's in your way, you have to go around it, so we're not really doing that. In the city, it's very dense, but there is no load - like in Fallout 3, there's a load - for areas of the city, we don't do that. So it's very dense, the buildings are tall, and a lot of them are open, so you can just walk in and around, so... it's big. I wouldn't say, you know, if you played Skyrim, I couldn't tell you it's X bigger, so we're just saying it's about the same size."

and then people only ever talk about how he said it's the same size....

He admitted he lied there about the mountains :P saying they are in the way, but before he said you could climb them.

It's just a word from Todd "Troll" Howard.

Like all his statements I personally assume that there is a pinch of truth.

Watched it again. I liked how they specified, that part of the reason for the more vibrant color palette is the fact that they now have a much more dynamic weather system, and wanted to add additional weight to the cloudy fallout, by having the weather change drastically from sunny to overcast (at least that's how i Interpreted it)

But the main question is: Where did you find that video? I see it's on bethesda's account, but i can not see it when watching the Account site directly. So i wonder: Might there be more hidden Content?

• 2 weeks later...
Although Frankfurt/M. is one of Germany's most expensive cities, the wages for IT personnel are probably still significantly lower than in California, for expample.

Nonsense. Being a captive resident of California, I know the real reason they wouldn't put it here is the taxes, not the wages. IT workers here don't get paid any better than IT workers elsewhere.

Still interesting though. I wonder if they're planning to try and tap into some of those German modders who have produced some really great stuff over the years.

Crytek! i'm pretty sure the recent rise in engine development subsidiaries is due to Crytek being in finacial troubles and residing in Frankfurt.

Probably the same reason Cloud Imperium Games is having their engine studio there, too. Amazon may have saved Crytek from bankrupty, but i doubt they can keep their size.