The Big Fallout 4 Thread

VaultDuke

lol, ok. I guess I just suck with landmarks then cause I'm not at all familiar with Boston. 

Yeah neither am I.  Apparently this city is actually inside Fenway Park (baseball stadium).  It's called Diamond City (like baseball diamond).  Notice the stadium lights.

And this is also a popular statue in Boston:

0R50yDv.jpg

The first part looks like the fallout 3 advert where they advertis vault-tec. plus does anyone know if modable¤?

If it's not moddable then it'll die a quick death. I'm pretty sure Bethesda isn't that stupid :P

one technical detail that hints at this still being gamebryo somehow: stutter at 2:00.

one technical detail that hints at this still being gamebryo somehow: stutter at 2:00.

That stutter is usually from lateral movement (from cells loading). Not up and down.  Could be anything.

Also, I get stutter commonly in Witcher 3, so it's not like it's exclusive to Gamebryo. :P 

LOL at all the people who think this is modified iDTech 6. They need to stop with the wishful thinking. Carmack already said iDTech isn't suitable for open world stuff like Bethesda makes and nothing has changed there. Pretty sure those of us who know can tell it's definitely Gamebryo. Improved, sure, but still Gamebryo. There's even a shot of the same shitty ass LOD we all know. A bare mountain with nothing on it that looks positively awful.

Yes, I am now spoiled by seeing tiny pine trees sway in the breeze on mountains miles away in Witcher 3 :P

Pretty sure those of us who know can tell it's definitely Gamebryo. Improved, sure, but still Gamebryo. There's even a shot of the same shitty ass LOD we all know. A bare mountain with nothing on it that looks positively awful.

I'm not convinced it is though.  Are you talking about this shot?

DksZOWb.jpg

I think the hill at the top right pretty much looks like what distant landscape does in GTA V (next-gen version).  I'm assuming it's bare because... some hills are bare. :P

Side note:  That rock asset at front and center is the first thing Bethesda has ever legitimately done that actually looks like a rock.

---

Anyway, I'm skeptical that on a technical level that their Franken-bryo could scale to use the power of the PS4.  The Gamebryo middleware that they eventually hacked into Creation Engine is over 10 years old. 

And the "fake" leaker from a year ago has turned out to have extremely reliable information so far, and also her identity has been proven and that she had ties to the industry.  And she said that it's completely new from the ground up, so I'm going to remain hopeful.  Of course she could have spun a few lies into her account of things to really troll Bethesda.  People start taking what she said as fact as more and more stuff gets proven right and then they're sorely disappointed when the game isn't using a new engine like she said.   :P

Also, we're talking about a video which is largely defined by their visual artists.  Everything we're seeing is art for the most part, and so obviously it's going to look like a Bethesda game because it's their art style.  And that probably includes having no idea how not to do shitty LOD.   :D  I have been looking out for subtle technical things though but I'm still doing more analyzing.

Once we get some *gameplay* videos then it'll become more obvious. 

---

Also, it just dawned on me that this is the first Bethesda game where the vanilla lighting isn't atrocious.   In fact the lighting is quite amazing.

Also, I've been saying in chat for months now that this is gonna be a November 2015 release. Todd has said before that the hype train for Skyrim was too long and they want to shorten that for their next game. Well now we know what that next game is. 5 months seems like a more reasonable stretch than 11. They can be all secretive if they want, but I think most of us have them figured out now. :P

So, I'm starting to buy into the hype that Bethesda is going to actually do an October 23rd release.  It's on a Friday which is important for game releases (it's the day 11/11/11 fell on also).   October 23rd 2077 is also the day the bombs fell.  Buuuuut... I'm guessing not many people even know that so unless they manage to somehow inform everyone of that trivia in their E3 presentation and in all their marketing materials,  it won't really have the same "gimmick" level that 11/11/11 did. 

they'll either tell us right away at E3 or there will be some clue in the form of a newspaper lying around in the next trailer.

concerning the LOD: it's ok in the right part of the Brahmin shot, but what about that behind the trees? and in the shots to the left of the workshop with the power armor? that looks very FO3 like imho.

It wouldn't be a Bethesda game without the Bethesda gimmicks. Including the bugs.

We have a trailer! Neat-o! Gave me a bit of Bioshock vibe. :P

I admit I've skimmed your conversations - do we have any info on character creation? 

I should have grabbed a link to the LOD shot. It was a bare hill in the background that reeked of their landscape LOD system. Plus there were also some very Gamebryo-esque billboard trees closer to the main shot. I am not convinced this isn't just an even more enhanced Frankenbryo than what we had for Skyrim.

Remember, people bought into Todd's lie about how Creation Engine was written from the ground up and their pre-launch hype was careful not to let stuff slip, but people figured it out beforehand and eventually those people who said it was still Gamebryo were proven right. There are still diehards to this day who will argue with you about how CE != Gamebryo.

If it's an entirely new engine, I'll be quite happy to see it. I do not share the optimism that it is though :P

I admit I've skimmed your conversations - do we have any info on character creation?

Nope. The NPCs look pretty bad in the trailer to be honest.  The main guy looked decent I guess. And I really liked his hair.  It's hard to see in the YouTube version, but the much higher bitrate download I shared a page or two back, you can see the hair shader seems pretty decent.  It does a good job of making the hair look "choppy" as in there is good variation of the normals, and also the anisotropic shading is decent.

dhN4gSg.jpg

If it's an entirely new engine, I'll be quite happy to see it. I do not share the optimism that it is though :P

Me, see, I want to believe it is, but it's from a place of self-loathing optimism. :xmastroll:   ... I want to believe Beth will change, so I stay in the relationship. 

https://youtu.be/V0MpuiYJkuI?t=1209

At 20:08-21:22...

It's rather promising that he suggested that interiors can now be seamless (with better consoles).  If he's suggesting they *can* be seamless, then they must have been testing this, right?   :D  Todd is not a troll, right?   :xmastroll:

At this point I think I will be really disappointed if every door is a load screen.  I mean, some interiors in Skyrim were so "large" (by Xbox standards) that they had multiple load screens per interior..

Of course, I got downvoted on /r/Fallout for rebutting the notion that Witcher 3 interiors were "stagnant" and they said, I quote, "you can't interact with [them] at all".  I told them to go into an interior and cast Aard and tell me that they were stagnant.  It's just that the game doesn't let you put every single object in your inventory.  (Not to mention the interior I tested it on had more NPCs than Whiterun.)

So, I guess it's a bad to idea suggest emulating Witcher 3 in some regards unless you want to hear "MAH SPOONZ!!  NO SPOONZ BREAKS MUH IMMERSIONS!". 

Oh Todd Howard. I remember the discussions after Skyrim was released about all the features that was supposedly promised but not delivered. I went on to watch some interviews Todd gave before the release. 'can' 'working on' 'testing' 'trying to implement' that is basically all he ever says. And he always says it with this greasy smile of his. I think watching his interviews is quite useless, he never says anything of substance and carefully choses his words to mean nothing. Pete Hines is no better though.

He's totally trolling. They're still using Frankenbryo. I think we all know this means no seamless interiors, unless they actually fixed the issues with weather.

Assassin's creed changed engine with unity. But it was really buggy at launch, but who wouldn't expect bugs with Bethesda so it wouldn't matter :P. Plus unitys problem was mainly multilayer.

He's totally trolling. They're still using Frankenbryo. I think we all know this means no seamless interiors, unless they actually fixed the issues with weather.

I expect smaller interiors to be seamless, like that house in trailer. Larger complex ones will be closed like in previous games.

And I'm pretty sure they fixed precipitation going through obstacles, otherwise their forum will be spammed with comments on "why the %$^ rain falls inside houses" :geek: In Skyrim they kind of managed to hide it by not creating any large covered exterior spaces, but no way people won't notice rain in that house from demo.

That house in the trailer was probably made just for the trailer.  I'm too tired at the moment to go in depth,  but there were a few things that stuck out to me.   We talked about it earlier in the thread, but the parallax looked off in some of the background (like outside the windows and doors) which would indicate that part of the backdrop was a matte painting, or faked/composited in some other way.   Also,  I noticed later that the dog has two shadows when walking in the hallway.  That's quite natural if you think about light reflecting into an interior, but no way is the game going to have that kind of lighting in all the interiors. 

I do agree interiors similar to that one will probably be completely open... but I find it funny that they actually cut between shots when the dog is running out the door.  Suddenly he's in a different area that looks very different from the backdrop of the house at the start.   Also, his shadow quality absolutely plummets.  He was casting very nice shadows inside, but outside it's a giant blur.  So the camera cutting and the shadow quality decrease would have me believe that they "faked" that interior.   Though it's clearly still in-engine.

And, Arth, I know you know C++, so you have a good understanding of programming, so you know they're perfectly capable of pulling out just the oldest parts of the engine if they wanted to.  I'm actually quite positive that the updated consoles would *necessitate* that they gut the oldest parts because they simply aren't built for that much memory and processing power.  I mean, look what they added between Oblivion > Fallout > Skyrim.  Things like occlusion culling which are a very low level feature of the engine.  If they added that to Frankenbryo, they could very easily gut the level streaming tech. Honestly seamless interiors are in many ways just an abstraction of the portal/room tech that they already had in Skyrim. 

Oh, I know they could fix the issue properly. I'm just not convinced they will. Remember, with FO3 and NV they simply dodged the weather issue by not having any. I don't really expect things to change just because it's FO4 now. Someone will end up making a weather mod that has rain and then we'll see :P