Why do the textures and body show up in Outfit Studio, but not NifSkope?

Organical Mechanical

I'm exporting the NIF straight from Outfit Studio and importing it into Nifskope. Is there something I'm missing here?

I had nearly the same file running perfectly, but I had to re-do the translation from Blender->Outfit Studio->NifSkope, and now I'm having all sorts of issues.

I'm attaching the NIF file.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 164054.png

Screenshot 2024-01-01 164034.png

BWD2apronofadroitness.nif

First of all, did you set up Nifskope to display your textures as I explained here in one of your other threads?

This new nif is all kinds of messed up. Is your Outfit Studio set to work for LE Skyrim? The nif is now in LE format, except for the body which is still an SE version BSTriShape and doesn't display (because it's an LE nif).

Why did you add Outfit Studio to your process?

1 hour ago, Hana said:

First of all, did you set up Nifskope to display your textures as I explained here in one of your other threads?

This new nif is all kinds of messed up. Is your Outfit Studio set to work for LE Skyrim? The nif is now in LE format, except for the body which is still an SE version BSTriShape and doesn't display (because it's an LE nif).

Why did you add Outfit Studio to your process?

Blender NIFtools stopped working on my end, so I have to use Outfit Studio to convert OBJs to NIFs.

Nifskope is indeed set up properly-- my other models display just fine

I have no idea how it got into LE format-- this apron is just cursed ig!

Thank you for being patient with me. How would I get everything to an SSE format?

Ok, well, that's fine, I almost exclusively work in Outfit Studio and it can be a bridge like that.

But you didn't answer the question - are you sure you have the SE version of Outfit Studio set up to work in your SE game folder? The only way it would spit out an LE version nif is if it's in your LE game folder.

1 hour ago, Hana said:

Ok, well, that's fine, I almost exclusively work in Outfit Studio and it can be a bridge like that.

But you didn't answer the question - are you sure you have the SE version of Outfit Studio set up to work in your SE game folder? The only way it would spit out an LE version nif is if it's in your LE game folder.

I don't even have LE installed! Nor has it ever been installed on my device

Somewhere along the line the mesh was converted to LE format. Whether that was Blender or Outfit Studio, who knows. What you should do is fix the Blender add-on to properly export nifs. BTW, to do that you should get this version from github to export SSE nifs directly.

You still also need to fix the transforms in your mesh, for the body.

This may also be relevant, what version of Nifskope are you using?

Posted (edited)

I tried applying the transforms, but that sent my UV map to the one I made in Blender. That's a good thing, of course, but I'm not willing to make another texture after spending so much time on the one I already have. Since I was only having issues with the female pants, those are the only ones I'm going to apply for now.

My NifSkope version is 2.0.dev7 (revision 2dad25d)

Edited by Organical Mechanical

15 hours ago, Hana said:

Somewhere along the line the mesh was converted to LE format. Whether that was Blender or Outfit Studio, who knows. What you should do is fix the Blender add-on to properly export nifs. BTW, to do that you should get this version from github to export SSE nifs directly.

You still also need to fix the transforms in your mesh, for the body.

I dowloaded what you suggested, exported the blender file directly, and I'm still having the exact same issue.

I'll offer you some detailed instructions to get you where you need to be at this point, since we can't determine where it went wrong (although my guess is the vanilla body).

1. Run this outfit nif through SSE Nif Optimizer as if converting to SSE. That will clean up all the NiTrishapes into proper BSTriShapes, plus misc clean up.

2. Import the outfit nif (File > Import > from nif) into Outfit Studio.

3. Once imported, delete the "body" shape in the Meshes box. That seems to be the cause of the problem.

4. Import a fresh "body" nif, delete the 'underwear' shape.

5. Right-click on any of the shapes in the Meshes box, select Check for Bad Bones. If it gives a pop up that it found inconsistencies, click on OK to fix them (the "body" tends to have them). If it says No Bad Bones it's good.

6. Go to Edit > Reset Transforms, because we know the vanilla bodies have them and cause issues.

7. (Optional) At this point you can delete the parts of the body underneath that are fully covered by the outfit, leaving only the forearms and partial torso like you had before.

7. File > Export > to nif.

It should now be a clean SSE nif. Might want to test it in your game. I would also suggest you do the same process with the female version.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hana said:

I'll offer you some detailed instructions to get you where you need to be at this point, since we can't determine where it went wrong (although my guess is the vanilla body).

1. Run this outfit nif through SSE Nif Optimizer as if converting to SSE. That will clean up all the NiTrishapes into proper BSTriShapes, plus misc clean up.

2. Import the outfit nif (File > Import > from nif) into Outfit Studio.

3. Once imported, delete the "body" shape in the Meshes box. That seems to be the cause of the problem.

4. Import a fresh "body" nif, delete the 'underwear' shape.

5. Right-click on any of the shapes in the Meshes box, select Check for Bad Bones. If it gives a pop up that it found inconsistencies, click on OK to fix them (the "body" tends to have them). If it says No Bad Bones it's good.

6. Go to Edit > Reset Transforms, because we know the vanilla bodies have them and cause issues.

7. (Optional) At this point you can delete the parts of the body underneath that are fully covered by the outfit, leaving only the forearms and partial torso like you had before.

7. File > Export > to nif.

It should now be a clean SSE nif. Might want to test it in your game. I would also suggest you do the same process with the female version.

IT WORKED!!!

Once again, you are a complete lifesaver!

• 2 months later...

I have no idea how it got into LE format-- this apron is just cursed ig!