Skyrim carriage mod idea.

GLBIV

Howdy,

I had an idea for a mod I think would be cool. I have zero modding knowledge or ability, so I thought I'd share and hopefully inspire one of you brilliant creators. 

The Setup:

It's always been weird to me that in the midst of a civil war, there are carriages at every hold capital willing to cross enemy lines and taxi around any one with 20 or 50 septims. This gets especially weird once the dragonborn has joined up with the empire or stormcloaks. For some reason, the hero of the stormcloak rebellion can hop a carriage to Solitude and everybody's cool with that. 

The Proposal: 

A mod that tracks hold allegiance and limits carriage rides to inside imperial or stormcloak territory accordingly. That way, crossing a boundary has to be done on foot. This could pair nicely with the various checkpoint mods out there.

Alternatively, if tracking the civil war allegiance is a technical chore, maybe just have each carriage only go to settlements within their respective holds. Whiterun carriage could go to Rorikstead, Riverwood, Fort Greymoor, and the watchtowers. Windhelm could go to Kynesgrove, Fort Amol, Darkwater Crossing, etc. You get the picture. (It would be even more robust if @Arthmoor took interest and included their most excellent settlement mods).

This came to mind because I like to play an immersive sim / survival type game and I only use carriages for fast travel (and only when I'm feeling especially lazy or just want to get where I'm going so I can real-life go to bed).

Anyway, thanks for consideration and input folks. If you know of any mods out there that do basically this (and not a bunch of other stuff), please let me know. 

Thanks, 

15 hours ago, GLBIV said:

For some reason, the hero of the stormcloak rebellion can hop a carriage to Solitude and everybody's cool with that. 

It makes perfect sense to me.  Elder Scrolls is a medieval-inspired fictional universe.  Photography does not exist and, as far as we know, no one has painted our portrait.  So few people in Skyrim should recognize us.  It would be incredibly odd if people we've never met before somehow magically know who we are and, even stranger, which side in the civil war we have aligned ourselves with.

One of the very few issues I have with Morrowind's main quest (which, otherwise, I consider the finest main quest Bethesda has ever written) is the issue of  telepathic knowledge.  After a certain point literally everyone on Vvadenfell knows who we are and what we have done.  Frankly, it makes no sense (but even that is not as bad as Oblivion, where a merchant in Anvil is instantly aware that we have committed a crime in Bruma).  

So in my opinion few people in Skyrim should know we are Dragonborn.  Some people should not even be aware that a Dragonborn has appeared.  Fewer still should know that, if we join the civil war (my characters rarely do) which side we have picked.    

Alternatively, if tracking the civil war allegiance is a technical chore, maybe just have each carriage only go to settlements within their respective holds. Whiterun carriage could go to Rorikstead, Riverwood,

Carriage mod cfto does this already 

So, this is an interesting idea. In defence of vanilla Skyrim, the Civil War is mostly depicted as being quite "low intensity", primarily conducted between the Stormcloaks and Imperial Legion with the various other Holds only getting directly involved if their capital is threatened. On the other hand, it might be interesting if the price went up when crossing a border, to pay bribes etc. to roadside patrols.

Lest we forget, the player is first arrested for crossing the border.

• 3 weeks later...

@GLBIV Your idea is great.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Flappy Bird

Edited by alishakihn

• 2 months later...

Sorry I missed this thread. Amazingly enough @GLBIV, Bethesda already had some of this idea partially completed.

There exist in the files partial routes. Whiterun is initially neutral, and goes everywhere. Riften stays on its SE corner of the map. Likewise, Solitude runs in the West. Windhelm does not go to Solitude and vice versa (use the later DLC added boat instead).

Because it was implemented as dialogue, there's no way to dynamically change the routes. They are fixed at the game beginning. But each carriage is disabled during the main quest siege of its home location (implemented with a scripted hidden marker in each location).

Anyway, this was all implemented in Touring Carriages. Try it!