Image/Texture Help

Kayle

This is probably a long shot but I'm going to ask anyway. I have an image that I'm working on for a side project of mine that isn't Oblivion related at all, and may or may not be related to one of my MUDs. Anyway.Image:imperium.pngNow, I'm happy with how it looks, but I'd like to make it a little more... fluid? No.. I want to make it look like it might be the standard carried by a Standard bearer for an army. So he's got this tall cross like object with a shiny ornamental tip on it, in like the shape of an eagle or something, with this hanging from the cross bar. I was thinking something like:example.jpgwould look sortof like it, but I'm not sure for the life of me how to make that ripple like effect work in photoshop. =/ Anyone here know?

Is this not something you could do in gimp fairly easily? (At least, making the image into a flag, I don't have a clue about making your staff with the eagle headpiece. I also don't know photoshop at all, I use gimp for what little I do.)

Well, I can use the 3D tools of Photoshop to turn it into a flag, but it doesn't turn out the way I'd hoped, and while I had Scoyn try he met the same results I did. I'm really just trying to match the ridged texture in the example image to the new image I've started from scratch.I'm also not trying to actually make the pole it would be hung from, just trying to make the image look like it might have been hung from one, or from a wall as a tapestry, etc.

Ah, then I think I'd misunderstood. I thought you wanted it to actually be mounted to a cross bar standard complete with eagle headpiece with a slightly windblown look. So, do you want this image hanging as a tapestry or a standard? (just for clarification for whoever ends up trying to help)

Hanaisse can probably talk on this better than me. The way I'd do it, since I couldn't do the cloth ripples to save my life, is to get a grayscale version of that rippled texture, then overlay a version of the top image over top of it using layers, assuming you had one without the cloth pattern. It's how I did all my capes, anyway.

What I'm looking to do, is something like the second image, (which is an oblivion cape texture from.. I don't remember which mod) but to where the creases or ripples are through the whole thing, not just the fabric underneath.I've tried a lot of different things, and none of them have looked even remotely like the second image. =/

I would do what Dwip said first, to get the best 'wavy material' effect, then on the symbol layer you could try some of the distort filters; ocean ripple, ripple, wave. Don't try zigzag, too angular. Play with them until you can get the symbol to give the illusion of the wavy under layer, it doesn't have to be perfect. Give it a little dodge and burn to enhance the curves.The only other trick I know is how to make a pleated look, not quite the same thing.Love that pic btw. :)

So, I gave this a try, and I'm not having any luck with it. I can provide a copy of the .psd if you'd like to have a go at it Hana, but at this point, I think I may be nearing the point of defeat. =/

I don't know that I ever had it to begin with. I can do you one better though.Download!The example was just a resized capepurple from Andro21's All Capes, Cloaks, Clothes, Gloves and Robes Mod.

You did, you sent me the horse mod :P But this works.Ok, so it doesn't have to drape exactly like that above then?

That's kindof the effect I'm going for, but it doesn't have to be exactly l like that, no.And Oh, yeah. I did send you the Horse mod... I wonder why Thuderbird doesn't have your email in it... This situation must be remedied...[Edit:] And now the situation is Remedied.Also, I want a Hobo Stabber...

I have to take exception to that notion. Aside from the legal trouble it could get you in to actually do something like that and the potential for legal trouble for Arthmoor and Dwip from allowing you to "plot a crime" on here if someone didn't believe you were just joking around... When I worked armed security I knew security officers who would go torment the homeless in Albuquerque. (These guys would do things like assaulting the homeless if they caught them; or pepper spraying their bedding and cloths that they'd had to abandon in order to protect themselves by hiding from these jerks; or take their meager possessions (all these people still had in the world) and scatter them in ponds, trees, streets, and garbage bins; and so on... and it used to really piss me off. I understood entirely that it was our job to get them off the properties we were charged with patrolling/protecting, but there was no reason to be nasty about it. EVERY time I ever encountered a homeless person I only had to politely explain to them that I wasn't able to let them stay and show them where the property limits were and they'd very willingly comply without any trouble at all.) Among the properties we had in our coverage, there were a couple of homeless shelters we were routinely assigned to as well. It's not like we didn't know where to send them. It's not like we didn't know who half of them were on sight to begin with, half of those again we even all knew personally from talking to them at the shelters during meal times when we'd be assigned to maintain the order of the meal lines and such, and we all knew these were peaceful, and, in most cases, nice folk who were just out of luck in society. Most of the homeless are not homeless by choice, and it's already a pretty bad existence to begin with without jerks using them as scapegoats for fun. Honestly, I find it really hard to believe that you'd be enough of a dick in real life to think it'd be cool to go harass, hurt, or kill someone who's defenseless against you just because they're that down and out given what I know of you, but even the idea bothers me that much. Let's find another topic to joke about instead if you wouldn't mind, 'k?Besides, homeless folks and "hobos" aren't really counted in the unemployment rates anyway, so going on a killing spree wouldn't even help with that. Maybe if you were to go on your killing spree at the unemployment office, but even then, aside from the legal and moral imprecations of that, the folks who are currently unemployed aren't just government statistics, they're husbands/wives, sons/daughters, brothers/sisters, fathers/mothers who have been hurt already and need help, not brutality. :sigh:...Sorry, I know I'm probably over-reacting here. I'm just getting that frustrated with the current economic situation enough that a subject I'm already normally a bit touchy about is a little too much to joke about. Maybe that's what happened between Samson and I over at his blog the other day too and if that is the case, then I owe Samson an apology for that too. I just don't know. Maybe it's all about timing, but these are issues I'm already normally touchy about anyway that are coming up. :(

Nah. Stab 'em on the street. Clears up some of the Unemployment rate for the Gov'ment.
Most of them aren't on the unemployment rolls anymore anyway and thus aren't being counted. I'm not homeless' date=' but I think I know a bit about what it's like to not even rate being a statistic anymore.@Conner: He's joking. That said, he can't get us in trouble for it even if he were serious.Apology accepted btw, and I offer one in return for similar reasons. Probably not many of you here who can know what it's like to spend time looking for going on 3 years and being unable to find anything. Even in crap jobs that "nobody" is willing to do.

I'm not homeless either, but I've come disparagingly close to being there myself a few times in the past and, you're absolutely right, it really sucks not even rating being counted as a statistic.Wow, That link is awesome news! Prior to that it was understood that a site owner could potentially be held liable, or even as an accessory, to things like that, especially on a site with moderated content. It's great to know. :)Accepted as well. Things have been tough and getting worse all too quickly as time takes its toll. I guess you're one of the few who fully understand being under those same sorts of strain too.

I didn't mean to tread on any nerves or anything. Really was just a joke.That aside, OMFG. This has to have been the best laugh I've gotten since the last round of DramaBytes. It's been unseasonably dull and boring over there recently, to the point I only check it once a week.

I know, and I know I probably just over-reacted too.Wait, when was there a last round of DramaBytes? Recently? I've semi-followed it by RSS for months now but hadn't noticed anything even of interest in a fair while now...