[WIPz:Oblivion] Hana's House of Staves

Hana

StaffEmp01.jpgAttention all you Mages out there!Tired of the plain old dull drab staff? Unimpressed with the same old model for each staff you get? Would you like a little more choice and pizzaz to suit your own style?Then come visit the Staff Emporium, a new shop that will cater to the fun, the unique and bring out the inner Mage in you.This mod will feature;A new shop to specialize in buying and selling of, well, staves.Including;- new and existing models- new hi-rez textures (I did the one above)- some basic staves, some new unique names- different versions of enchanted and unenchanted- an offhand staff (!)- how many? I don't know yet.I've enlisted the help of InsanitySorrow who is a wiz at modeling and texturing new weapons (check out The Arsenal at Nexus or look him up). We've already researched new models, and he's already completed one! I'm not sure how long this will take, we're not in a hurry, but stay tuned, I'll show more previews here and there to get you all excited. :)

I'll go for any variety in staves you can come up with. Most of my guys use them as display pieces, but really cool ones make awesome display pieces.

Most of my characters tend to stick with one handed sword and shield, bow, or dagger & shield, but new toys are always fun too.. plus screen shots and other teaser shots are always nice as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea you're going for here quite a lot. That said:- Textures look pretty funny. That's probably a side effect of the fact that it's not an in-game shot. Thinking in particular of the greyish texture and the reddish one. The gold looks ok (and probably looks way better in-game).- Not sure that black works at all, insofar as black textures almost never seem to work. Also, have you considered some glow mapped runes on there? Just saying.- There are areas where you might want to consider upping the poly count a bit. Some beveling around the top/bottom edges of the black and gold round bits, for starters, and the streamer things on the sides really, really need some rounding - you'll be staring at them in front of your face all the time, so it's important.- The streamers are another spot where writing would probably look awesome if you decided to do that.- I dearly hope said streamer things are animatable. If not, alas, but that would look super cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a new staff, but while working on this mod I decided to make a foray into clothing/armour making and create a new robe for my shopkeeper.Progress so far.That's wizardrobe sleeves attached to upperclassshirt02, with the neckline modified from squared to V-shape. Texture is temp.Oh how I wish Blender had a smooth tool like the CS landscape tool works.

Not shabby thus far.

Oh how I wish Blender had a smooth tool like the CS landscape tool works.
Bevel, subsurf modifiers?

Bevel' date=' subsurf modifiers?[/quote']No no, not like that. Like a big round circle to run down a sleeve and level all those pesky verts. It's nice to dream.

• 1 month later...

Kewl, I'd hate to think you'd abandoned this project just because of a little computer catastrophe. ;)Oh, I really like that staff, but can you see the nifty detail work on the staff itself in-game? It almost looks too black for the detail to shine through in the preview shot.

You mean besides conflicting with 15 other Weye mods? :PAlso the second you have to touch landscape or path grids it gets ugly. If the cell you chose is far enough from AFK_Weye you won't have an issue with it, but you'll have to pay close attention to the borders in the CS when placing the building.Also, nearby to the SW is part of the wolf quest in AFK_Weye as well as the relocated inn for Ruined Tail.

That road is the border of AFK_Weye pretty much, and it's not the same cell. The wolf quest too is far enough away. And frankly, I don't care about 15 other Weye mods, lol.I'll be doing very little in terms of exterior changes. There's no exterior building, it's just a door, and maybe a large rock to place the door in if the hillside doesn't look right. And a sign. Maybe a little path. I'm trying to be minimalist and considerate. :)But thanks, that answers my question.

If I could make a request, I'd like to see staves in Oblivion that mirror the Staff of Parthalan or Cold-Blooded from Dragon Age II, The images on the Wiki aren't very good, but I can try and get some better shots if you'd like. You also get a couple of real good looks at it in the Destiny trailer for DA2

.Can't seem to find any shots of Cold-Blooded, I'll try and get one of it on my character on the Xbox with a camera, but that's more than likely going to end up poor quality.[Edit:] Not the best quality, but it's the best I could manage. =/coldblooded.png

That's kinda cool, and we were planning on doing an Ayleid staff so this model would be perfect. I'll get my guy on it. :)Shame on you, Samson for suggesting others. :P

That ayleid stuff isn't even close. That staff is actually made mostly of Ice, which makes it all the cooler. But I think my favourite staff in DA2 so far as the Staff of Parthalan, it's unfortunate that it gets trumped so easily by later staves. I guess that's the price of DLC for the start of a game.