Issue with a CM Partner not attacking enemies during combat

GamerSince1992

Greetings everyone..

I tried this companion Robbie Rotten CM Partner and I noticed during combat against any enemies he's not attacking just standing beside me doing nothing even if he get hit by accident he's not even defend himself (he did actually attack but it happens once when he get hit by a zombie after that he no longer do anything) he only follow, share and do every other things that any based companion do except attacking I checked his AI in construction set and he's aggression was set to 20 I think that is enough for him to attack because I have other companion beside him and he's work fine increased the aggression to 30 didn't change anything...

Does anyone know how to solve this?.. I want to take this as an opportunity to learn how to deal with an issue like that if I ever come across it again (maybe I can create my own companion someday)..  

Edit: It's appear he also not attacking when I choose to spar with him..

Edited by GamerSince1992

Your best bet might be to start with the original author of the mod.  They is still active on NexusMods:

image.thumb.png.60d162ac4bad1a5c0a575dc8f6493320.png

Edited by Scythe Bearer
Correct grammar and tense.

I know he's still active but he's not even check on his mod.. how to contact him?...

The option for that in the site is not available anymore..

Edited by GamerSince1992

You have to do it through the forum. Copy the user name, go to the forum, click the envelope icon to go to your inbox, then click "compose new message" and post the user name in the address field.

The functionality to contact people from the mod site is supposed to return in future, but at the moment you have to do it this way.

The problem is that the NPC's aggression is too low. He probably attacked that one Zombie because of stacking negative opinion penalties. The reason he just stands there is that he has high bravery. There's a dialogue option in CM Partners to tell the partner to be more aggressive. That should fix it.

Aggression doesn't have to be high. My custom companions have aggression of 5 or 10 and confidence of 80 or 90 and they attack enemies of the player without fail. The NPC has to belong to the PlayerFaction to do that. I don't know how CM partners manages its companions though.

18 hours ago, Lena Wolf said:

You have to do it through the forum. Copy the user name, go to the forum, click the envelope icon to go to your inbox, then click "compose new message" and post the user name in the address field.

The functionality to contact people from the mod site is supposed to return in future, but at the moment you have to do it this way.

Oh I see..

Why did they do that?.. if you didn't tell me I thought they remove the option to contact members completely for some reason..

17 hours ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

The problem is that the NPC's aggression is too low. He probably attacked that one Zombie because of stacking negative opinion penalties. The reason he just stands there is that he has high bravery. There's a dialogue option in CM Partners to tell the partner to be more aggressive. That should fix it.

This is the first thing I tried and nothing change...

9 minutes ago, GamerSince1992 said:

Oh I see..

Why did they do that?.. if you didn't tell me I thought they remove the option to contact members completely for some reason..

No, this is just a temporary side effect from switching to new forum software. It will be restored.

8 hours ago, Lena Wolf said:

Aggression doesn't have to be high. My custom companions have aggression of 5 or 10 and confidence of 80 or 90 and they attack enemies of the player without fail. The NPC has to belong to the PlayerFaction to do that. I don't know how CM partners manages its companions though.

When I check his AI I noticed his confidence is 100 is that the reason why he's not attacking?..

3 minutes ago, GamerSince1992 said:

When I check his AI I noticed his confidence is 100 is that the reason why he's not attacking?..

Definitely not.

These values are dynamic. You need to see what they are in game. Open console, click the NPC and enter command:

getav aggression

That will give you his current aggression. You can change it with this:

setav aggression 10

Enter any aggression level there.

Edited by Lena Wolf

3 minutes ago, Lena Wolf said:

No, this is just a temporary side effect from switching to new forum software. It will be restored.

Oh ok..

On 2/27/2024 at 7:41 AM, Lena Wolf said:

It needs to be 5 or higher to respond to attack irrc and 10 or higher to initiate attacks against hostiles faction members.. With CM partners it can go as low as 0.

No matter which number I put for aggression with console command he just remain standing..

I contact the author and he said he's no longer have the game files for the mod anymore because his old computer broke (Which he had the files on it)..

Does that NPC actually follow the player? Or does he just stand there? In which case there could be something wrong with his AI packages.

Like I said in my main post:"he do everything that any based companion do except attacking" this is the only issue here..

Has Rotten Robbie ever attacked? Or is him not attacking a new thing? 

Edit: OKay, I can see he does attack, but only while defending. I have a CM Partner who is like this as well. She would initially just stand there, taking blows until suddenly *hey!* she'd start defending (novel concept).

I remember looking into it at some point. Probably did the same things as suggested, raising Aggression and so on, to no avail. Nowadays I don't mind; I just roleplay she's a pacifist of some sort. All the other CM Partners do her fighting for her, basically. She only rarely comes along with my character's party. Personally I think it has something to do with scripting. There's some script which is supposed to fire with Robbie and my gal who is reluctant to fight, but the script ain't working. :mage:

Edited by Renee G

I think the author made a mistake somewhere and he didn't know that cause he didn't test the mod to see if it's work fine or not..

I looked everywhere in the internet for an issue like this but nothing came up..

Wait.. I remember something..   when I engage in a fight with a strong enemy from mida's magic mod I heard him said: "Stay away." just like those random vanilla NPC who are not program to fight and run away (I'm not sure if he did that or not I mean run away..)

Edited by GamerSince1992

This would suggest that his confidence is low. But you said it was 100. So it makes no sense...

I mean, I believe you of course. I just don't understand why he's doing it.

That's what confuse me as well.. this matter like a puzzle :(

OK, I took a look at the ESP file and I discovered Robbie has no default AI package. In fact, he has no AI at all. That means that his default package does not allow "defensive combat".

That's probably screwing with the rest of his AI.

Robbie sounds definitely unfinished... :( Not to mention that there are four NPCs defined in that mod but only one actually used. I haven't got it anymore, but was looking at it some time ago when someone couldn't find him in-game.

That was a bad explanation, let me try again. Robbie has no AI packages, which means he has no default package with "defensive combat" enabled. Adding a generic "wander at this location" package should fix that.

Posted (edited)

Oh.. :blink:

I don't want to sound like an idiot but how to enable that? where exactly in construction set?..

Edited by GamerSince1992