Photoshop Won't Open .DDS Files Anymore, Even With the Proper Plugins

Organical Mechanical

It's been months, and I've literally never encountered this problem before. Hell, even earlier today, I was able to open, edit, and export .DDS files.

But suddenly, PS doesn't want to utilize the plugin any more.

I've tried re-installing the NVidia DDS plugin, but I just get the same result.

How do I fix this?

Screenshot 2023-12-29 232508.png

Screenshot 2023-12-29 232521.png

Are the files that you're trying to open in one of the newer DXT formats? I don't use Photoshop, so I could be wrong on this, but I think that plugin is old and might not support the newer formats. I think there's a newer Intel plugin that people use. Again, I don't use Photoshop so I might be wrong on this. I use Paint.NET to open and export DDS files.

Edited by RabidGears

40 minutes ago, RabidGears said:

Are the files that you're trying to open in one of the newer DXT formats? I don't use Photoshop, so I could be wrong on this, but I think that plugin is old and might not support the newer formats. I think there's a newer Intel plugin that people use. Again, I don't use Photoshop so I might be wrong on this. I use Paint.NET to open and export DDS files.

Hm... I doubt it.

I just updated PS, hoping that that would fix it, but now I can't open up any DDS files regardless if I've opened them before.

Just downgraded back.

I think you might be right-- I just opened up a file that I never had before.

Is there any way to open DXT formats in photoshop?

EDIT: suddenly I can open everything again. wish I knew what exactly happened, but I guess this works?

Thank you for the help!

Edited by Organical Mechanical