Q on mods that add content from other mods

Katsuro

In the hunter mod I am making, I will be incorporating content from other mods, example being Unique Bow Collection. While this is for my personal use mainly, I will be offering it as a DL. The quoted mod has a book, that "which is the source of all information needed to track these valuables" which I would have lying on a table inside the guild hall.

Main Q is this: What happens if someone doesn't have the UBC mod installed? Does the book just not be there or does it have the "WTF Mesh" thing like Oblivion?

As always, thank you in advance and patience in helping a noob modder

There are two possible situations. If you just use the book in your mod, then the UBC mod will have to be master for it, and the user will not be able to use yours without it. If you copy the book into yours, then it’s part of your mod and does not depend on UBC. 
That assumes it is a regular book mesh, with custom content only. If the book has a custom mesh or texture, that is when you start getting the placeholder mesh, or a pink texture.

16 hours ago, ghastley said:

There are two possible situations. If you just use the book in your mod, then the UBC mod will have to be master for it, and the user will not be able to use yours without it. If you copy the book into yours, then it’s part of your mod and does not depend on UBC. 
That assumes it is a regular book mesh, with custom content only. If the book has a custom mesh or texture, that is when you start getting the placeholder mesh, or a pink texture.

Thank you.

Also, make sure that you check the permissions if you intend to use any assets from another mod.  Some authors require their permission first before their assets can be used - and if it does not state that the permission are free to use, and the author does not response to a message requesting the use of their assets, then they cannot be used in your mod, but would require that you list the mod the assets are from as a requirement. Using assets without permission is a big no no.

Other than that, good luck with your mod!

EDIT - I see that Unique Bows Collection allows use of assets as long as you credit the author, so at least that mod would not be a problem.

Edited by smr1957

I wouldn't be using their assets, per se, meaning they would not be packaged in my mod. It would be more of a "If you download their mod, then it will show up in mine" type deal, that would basically be "bonus content"

All I have done thus far is put Thirsk Mead Hall just outside Falkreath, right at the crossroad where you meet Barbas (I don't think I had to move anything, except the DB target marker just a little outside the structure area), did a tiny bit of landscaping to flatten the area a tad, link the front door to the mead hall interior, link another door inside to the Jorvaskrr living quarters (all interior zones were duplicated, given different form IDs, and gutted of every item and marker. Placed the "North Marker" as close to what it would be when entering the area) then did a little decorating/altering of some asset resources that credit will be given to their creators. Did make a nice banner and sign for it too (will post some pics in a few)

These are pretty much everything I have done thus far.

The sign was made from a blank sign, with the ESO Bosmer sigil I believe, text was made on cooltext and altered some to look more like wood burning I have no clue why there is a "Take" activator on the sign however lol.

Horker spitroast came out ok I think, the table is the one in Jorvaskrr and the tablecloth is edited to have a wicker pattern with trim.

I changed the texture on the beds from an Argyle type pattern to an animal hide type (free seamless texure)

Banner was created from a bosmer flag I saw online, altered to use a pattern from Incaendo's banner asset resources

Slow going, but so far pleased. I hope to create followers that appear at different stages of Kyne's Sacred Trials, likely 8 total followers that use the Circle's living areas. The "common" living areas will likely be for Alchemy and Enchanting areas, with a small library. The main hall will have trophy bases, unsure if I will simply populate them or have it so people can build their own like Hearthfire. Outside will have the smelter/blacksmith/etc, some archery targets and whatnot

Then the rest is pretty much odds and ends

ScreenShot1.png

ScreenShot2.png

ScreenShot3.png

ScreenShot4.png

ScreenShot5.png

ScreenShot7.png

ScreenShot8.png

ScreenShot9.png

ScreenShot10.png

403629061_344762138199363_1109424452266560837_n.png