CK2 SE Data Scripts/Source versus Source/Scripts?

DayDreamer

In the olden days, CK scripts were in Data/Scripts/Source. Today, my CK asked to expand sources, but expands Scripts.zip into Data/Source/Scripts. I've just noticed that some installs also are putting their sources there (RealisticWaterTwoMCM.psc, WTRIsItRaining.psc, defaultDisplayItemInListScript.psc).

I'd put lines into my CreationKitCustom.ini that puts it back into the old location:

[General]
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

[Papyrus]
sScriptSourceFolder = ".\Data\Scripts\Source"

What's the current thinking on how to organize?

SKSE64 still wants its .pex in Data/Scripts and .psc in Data/Scripts/Source.

Is there a clever way to perhaps layer the script folders in the CK, so that it would search in the same way as .bsa?

Ideally, it would have the lowest level at unmodified Data/Source/Scripts, then Data/USSEP/Scripts/Source, then my own Data/Scripts/Source would overlay them.

It's actually been the default since 2016 to put it in Data\Source\Scripts. Most people have just been using the Papyrus override you've got in your ini file.

Unfortunately the Skyrim SE implementation of Papyrus doesn't support namespaces which would allow you to store things in separate folders.

Yes, it has. There was never really any reason given for why it happened but it's been that way the whole time and I think most people used the override in their ini files.

On 12/6/2023 at 12:29 AM, lmstearn said:

has it been that long?

Yes. I'm currently the lone follower of that topic.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, Arthmoor said:

Unfortunately the Skyrim SE implementation of Papyrus doesn't support namespaces which would allow you to store things in separate folders.

I remember that the old CK kept the DLC in subfolders, and we had to copy them up. Now they are already merged. So I'll guess that Bethesda has some way of handling separate folders.

Now, the latest USSEP seems to keep them in Data\Source\Scripts too. How do you keep track of the USSEP files and prevent them from being replaced by newer dated versions of older CK files?

For now, I'll continue keeping my working directory in Data\Scripts\Source, and copy the latest files into it. Just have to ensure that I don't accidentally wipe out my own files. PITA.

I never let the CK unpack the Scripts.zip file itself since that would indeed overwrite many things.

I have those files packaged in an archive managed by Wrye Bash. USSEP is in a project folder which installs in a higher position than the vanilla (and SKSE) scripts. So it will always properly overwrite the vanilla files.

My own mods are also going to be redirecting to the new folder setup as well and they're all handled in the same way - in a project folder than installs to a higher position than vanilla so they won't get overwritten.

21 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

project folder

Seems like I should try Wrye Bash. Project folders sounds like just the thing for developers. I'd installed MO2 for my nephews, but didn't like it very well. I've been using Vortex and managing most small things by hand. Of course, I don't have anywhere as many projects as you....