The GOG version of Skyrim, Dyndolod Alpha and Wrye Bash ???

Sonja

I'm considering a fresh Skyrim run, but whenever I think of the modding process, I curl into a corner and whimper... The biggest hurdle is that I want to (finally) use my GOG version of the game. As I understand it, most popular mods now accommodate this version, and I just vastly prefer playing games via GOG. What trips me up, however, is that the process is more complicated if you want to install Dyndolod Alpha. Specifically it says:

Skyrim Special Edition GOG / Skyrim Anniversary Edition GOG

SKSE64GOG and DynDOLOD DLL are updated for the latest runtime 1.6.659.

Regardless of which runtime version is used for Skyrim Special Edition GOG, if the Skyrim Anniversary Edition GOG or Anniversary DLC is installed, the game mode is always SSE.

Use the -m, -p and -d command line arguments to set the INI, plugins.txt and Data paths when starting the tools. For example:

-m:"c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\"
-p:"c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\plugins.txt"
-d:"c:\GOG Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\Data\"

Replace [USERNAME] and the INI and Data folder paths accordingly for the actual setup.

Do not link to files or folders in mod manager profiles. Link to the files and folders used by the game.

Could a kind person please explain, in a simple, step by step, "For Dummies" fashion, how, exactly I'm supposed to do this with Wrye Bash. Almost every guide out there assumes people are using MO2, and while I have nothing against MO2, as such, I've used Wrye Bash for many years, and there's a lot going on in my life right now, so I don't possess the mental energy to learn a different manager. I have vague memories of trying to do something like this with Dyndo 2, before Dyndolod 3 Alpha became a thing; it was an unmitigated disaster, and I gave up. Happily, Dyndo 3 simplified this step greatly, but that's only the case with the Steam version of Skyrim.

Situations like this irritate me... It's not as though I'm incompetent at installing mods, and I always read any documentation that comes with a mod, or tool. As long as any technical instructions are written CLEARLY, and assume that the user has never done something like it.. I'm fine. It's a lot like understanding a different language, once you have a grasp of the basic vocabulary, you're on your way.. it's just getting there.

Anyway, cheers for any help. :)

Edited by Sonja

Hi Sonja, :) there is a guide for WB for Dyndo2, most things should still work with it.

(Just a note for @Sheson: clicking 2: DynDOLOD in the search list, Cloudflare chucks a wobbly from the "node" in the url)

The following should work if you create a explorer shortcut, or a command line entry for a shortcut in PrgLnch. So everything after DynDOLOD64.exe (including spaces) constitutes the command line argument. Replace USERNAME with user name, and check the other locations if yours are not the GOG defaults. Do the same for TexGen64.exe.

DynDOLOD64.exe -sse -m:"c:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\" -p:"c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\plugins.txt" -d:"c:\GOG Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\Data\"

Then it should be okay to run these:

DynDOLOD64.exe -sse -o:D:\DynDOLOD-Output\

TexGen64.exe -sse -o:D:\DynDOLOD-Output\

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the reason these special commands need to be given is because the DynDOLOD and TexGen64 programs were never updated to recognize the default install path of the GOG version, meaning that, if you just run them normally, they're gonna think Skyrim isn't installed and error out.

Hey, wanted to add to Imstearn's answer, the -m, -p and -d options are going to be required with every launch and every other option you might pass. xEdit (and derivatives) rely on the Steam-specific registry entries to find the game, so you always have to override that.

What SkyLover said is exactly the case, but no version of xEdit has been (or apparently will be) updated to support GOG.

Edited by Paynamia