A funny thing happened...

tigerseptim

Today I did the first few quests of Dragonborn. I was riding high, having killed a dragon and learned the first word of Bend Will. But the dragon refused to give up its soul.

Grumbling to myself, I went to Windhelm and was informed that "Miraak absorbed the dragon's soul!" That does it! I'm not killing any more dragons today.

I'm guessing this was intended to introduce a sense of urgency into Dragonborn's main quest.  And also, maybe, to illustrate how powerful Miraak is (it must require a powerful person to steal dragon souls from afar).  Some people like it, some don't.  I personally didn't mind the feature, myself.   It seems to fit his arrogant personality.

(Edited to correct formatting.)

Edited by Pseron Wyrd

I do find it funny that the notice only appeared when I'd gone to Windhelm. Maybe it was a glitch; maybe it was the Xbox struggling to keep up. Who knows.

11 minutes ago, tigerseptim said:

the notice only appeared when I'd gone to Windhelm. Maybe it was a glitch

No, he can steal dragon souls anywhere in the game world.  That's what I meant by using the word "afar."  :)

Thanks; now I know to be on  my guard. :)

Well, apparently Miraak is at it again. The game tells me I have two souls, but I can't spend them.

Edited by tigerseptim

• 1 month later...

Actually, I was pressing the wrong button and getting the unhelpful message: "Dragon souls are required to unlock" instead of, "Hey dummy, press the blue button!"

• 5 months later...
On 9/16/2023 at 11:50 AM, Pseron Wyrd said:

Hello Neighbor said: I'm guessing this was intended to introduce a sense of urgency into Dragonborn's main quest.  And also, maybe, to illustrate how powerful Miraak is (it must require a powerful person to steal dragon souls from afar).  Some people like it, some don't.  I personally didn't mind the feature, myself.   It seems to fit his arrogant personality. 

(Edited to correct formatting.)

Maybe it was a glitch.

Edited by anniesteuber