Mods Keep On Crashing Game

WhyBethesda

I'm just starting a new playthrough after around 3 years away from the game and decided to base my playthrough around the LOTDB mod and so the vast majority of mods in my list are compatible. I went through each mod individual till I was able to narrow it down to 3 that seemed to be causing the crashes: Cutting Room Floor - SSE, Alternate Start and Legendary Artifcats. I ran LOOT with all mods active to see if there was anything I could do about it and saw the below images, from what I can understand it has something to do with 'dirty edits' as seen on the LOOT manual(https://loot.github.io/docs/0.5.0/LOOT Readme.html#appendix-dirty). Please share any ideas on how I could fix this, thanks.

IMG-20230209-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230209-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230209-WA0000(1).jpg

CRF and LAL both require USSEP, which in turn requires all 4 of the new masters in a base 1.6 install. If I'm reading your screens right, MO2 is telling you there's only one of the 4 required masters. You're going to need to make sure your game has been fully updated to 1.6 in order to use those mods.

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

CRF and LAL both require USSEP, which in turn requires all 4 of the new masters in a base 1.6 install. If I'm reading your screens right, MO2 is telling you there's only one of the 4 required masters. You're going to need to make sure your game has been fully updated to 1.6 in order to use those mods.

Thanks for your reply, I'll try that. My only concern is that most mods on the list haven't been updated for the latest 1.6.4... patch so I'm not sure they would work. To clarify, I downgraded my skyrim for the mods. 

5 hours ago, WhyBethesda said:

Thanks for your reply, I'll try that. My only concern is that most mods on the list haven't been updated for the latest 1.6.4... patch so I'm not sure they would work. To clarify, I downgraded my skyrim for the mods. 

If you downgraded your game, then you have issues just waiting to happen - we see people who downgraded constantly posting about problems in the Steam forums. It has been well over a year since the game was updated to 1.6+ version, and nearly 3 months since the last update - any mod that has not been updated to work with the current version of the game is best dropped, as per basic good modding practice as outlined in The Golden Rule of Modding. Except for a very, very, small handful of mods, almost all have been updated to work with the latest version of SSE - 1.6.640.

So, the best thing is to update the game as you said you would try - as well as any mods that may require updating (not all do).  In that way you will be current and hopefully will avoid the pitfalls of working with an outdated and obsolete version of the game.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, WhyBethesda said:

My only concern is that most mods on the list haven't been updated for the latest 1.6.4... patch

Most mods don't have to be updated.  

I'm going to ditto what smr and Pseron said. Most mods, especially that don't include any dependancy on SKSE dll plugins, don't need to be updated. Having said that, Arthmoor's mods are the exception for the reason he stated above - dependancy on the new CC mods that came with the update.

How is it possible you have so many mods in your Overwrite folder? Especially the base game DLC's? :thonk:

5 hours ago, smr1957 said:

If you downgraded your game, then you have issues just waiting to happen - we see people who downgraded constantly posting about problems in the Steam forums. It has been well over a year since the game was updated to 1.6+ version, and nearly 3 months since the last update - any mod that has not been updated to work with the current version of the game is best dropped, as per basic good modding practice as outlined in The Golden Rule of Modding. Except for a very, very, small handful of mods, almost all have been updated to work with the latest version of SSE - 1.6.640.

So, the best thing is to update the game as you said you would try - as well as any mods that may require updating (not all do).  In that way you will be current and hopefully will avoid the pitfalls of working with an outdated and obsolete version of the game.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, I'll do this.

3 hours ago, Hana said:

I'm going to ditto what smr and Pseron said. Most mods, especially that don't include any dependancy on SKSE dll plugins, don't need to be updated. Having said that, Arthmoor's mods are the exception for the reason he stated above - dependancy on the new CC mods that came with the update.

How is it possible you have so many mods in your Overwrite folder? Especially the base game DLC's? :thonk:

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by "How is it possible you have so many mods in your Overwrite folder? Especially the base game DLC's?" I'm not too well versed on modding, is there something wrong with it?

Having mods in your overwrite folder suggests you've done something to change them from how they were distributed. For regular mods, cleaning them is definitely still recommended and that may be what you have in overwrites. If so then carry on.

If it's official content, including ANY of the CC stuff that came with the AE Upgrade package, you should reacquire copies from the store you got them on and get rid of the overwrite copies. Cleaning of official content is strongly discouraged because that process can introduce obscure bugs into the game that aren't easy to track down. xEdit has already had a number of workarounds to avoid known cases. It's the unknown ones that make it not worth the bother.

You should never have anything in your Overwrite folder. Move anything out to their proper folders, or in some cases such as Bodyslide output and FNIS output, create new folders for them.

Plenty of info out there on MO2 and Overwrite.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:33 PM, Arthmoor said:

Having mods in your overwrite folder suggests you've done something to change them from how they were distributed. For regular mods, cleaning them is definitely still recommended and that may be what you have in overwrites. If so then carry on.

If it's official content, including ANY of the CC stuff that came with the AE Upgrade package, you should reacquire copies from the store you got them on and get rid of the overwrite copies. Cleaning of official content is strongly discouraged because that process can introduce obscure bugs into the game that aren't easy to track down. xEdit has already had a number of workarounds to avoid known cases. It's the unknown ones that make it not worth the bother.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:14 PM, Hana said:

You should never have anything in your Overwrite folder. Move anything out to their proper folders, or in some cases such as Bodyslide output and FNIS output, create new folders for them.

Plenty of info out there on MO2 and Overwrite.

Thank you and everyone else who contributed to the thread, I have finally been able to make everything work correctly with the exception of the Skyrim 2018 graphics mod.