OLDRIM IS IT

Leroy

It looks like Skyrim SE/AE/Whatever-They'll-Call-It-After-The-Next-Update is dead. It has become unplayable, because it's regularly broken by useless updates that wreck the free mods while leaving the Creation Club pristine. Not to mention the Eat/Get Peckish/Eat/Get Peckish infinite loop that is Survival Mode.

I had a lot more fun actually playing SLE on XB360 than I did with the aggravation that is SSE on PC's update/break/reload/mod grind treadmill. I thought my awesome SE build would be safe from the AE disaster of 11/11/21, but removing the Wi-Fi antennas was not enough to prevent Beth from breaking into my machine, blowing my game to pieces, black screen of death, needed a complete Windows 10 reinstall.

Since it is now obvious that MS/Beth wants to destroy free mods for the sake of  "Mods that you pay for are not paid mods, they are Creation Club," maybe a revival of Skyrim LE, which is still actually playable, is in order.

Skyrim LE is still available on disc, no download. Why not freeze it where it is, mod for it with no "update chasing the update" nonsense, and have a game we can play for years without having to spend more time fixing it than playing it?

Do you doubt that Elder Scrolls 6 is going to be little more than microtransaction pay-to-win mobile game business template, a vacuum cleaner stuck in people's wallet?

I want to send Arthmoor a $100 one time, but can't get it to work on Patreon. Can anyone help me figure it out?

Rest In Peace, Special Edition. I once loved you while you still lived, and I grieve over your grave marked "AE."

My opinion is vastly different.  My mods are not "broken."   I do not think Bethesda's updates are "useless."   I do not think the Anniversary Edition  was a "disaster."   My game has not been "blown to pieces."   I have never needed a complete Windows reinstall because of a Skyrim "black screen of death."   I do not think Bethesda wants to "destroy free mods."   I do not think TES VI is going to be a "microtransaction pay-to-win mobile game business template." 

I cannot speak for other players, but personally I love Special Edition.  On my machine it runs faster and smoother and with fewer CTDs than the 32-bit Legendary Edition ever did.   Myself, I could never go back to LE. 

But most importantly,  I do not want Bethesda to stop updating their games to suit the tiny minority of mod-using players who are temporarily inconvenienced. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

My opinion is vastly different.  My mods are not "broken."   I do not think Bethesda's updates are "useless."   I do not think the Anniversary Edition  was a "disaster."   My game has not been "blown to pieces."   I have never needed a complete Windows reinstall because of a Skyrim "black screen of death."   I do not think Bethesda wants to "destroy free mods."   I do not think TES VI is going to be a "microtransaction pay-to-win mobile game business template." 

I cannot speak for other players, but personally I love Special Edition.  On my machine it runs faster and smoother and with fewer CTDs than the 32-bit Legendary Edition ever did.   Myself, I could never go back to LE. 

But most importantly,  I do not want Bethesda to stop updating their games to suit the tiny minority of mod-using players who are temporarily inconvenienced. 

I mostly agree with you one thing I would like though would be the ability to turn the new free content off and on as and when I want too. I don't really care how either in a menu similar to LE or in my preferred mod manager. Also, it might be nice if the SKSE devs got a heads up before the update dropped then they could be ready the same day the update drops. I know they are usually fairly quick with their updates, but it would be nice.

• 5 months later...

I tried to get a stable install of SE/AE with a lot of mods that alter the landscape and environment of Skyrim, like I did with LE. I'm experienced with cleaning mods and load order ( I never use loot ). My game crashed a lot, so obviously something I did wrong. After three days of trying I gave up.

My LE runs with 244 mods (yes, that's enough for me :) ) handsorted, and crashes occure very, very rarely, and only if I'm out of vram - and I hate all of that update shit. I gave up.

Good old LE! Runs stable as hell for me.