NPCs suddenly started attacking me and I have no idea why

anonymouselbow

1.  Happened first in Markharth, and seems to make sense after what I did:  I was approached by a thug into a beat down because I was snooping around too much supposedly, but I started to worry that I was going to be killed and not just hurt so I killed him and when a guard came into the den where the fight was and joined against me, I killed the guard also, and then every guard was after me.  I presume my resorting to magic and weapons is what did that, but I don't know for sure.

2.  Before that happened I engaged in what I thought would be a "harmless" brawl in the SIlver Blood bar, but the combatant was killed somehow in the process which I thought was impossible according to the help menu.

3.  I rode into Riverwood one day like any other I thought to barter and pretty much the whole town was up in arms against me, including guards or actually what seemed like only some of the guards and not all guards.

4.  I eventually left Riverwood unable to figure out why I was being attacked or diffuse the combat, and went to Whiterun to barter.  The elf shop owner in Drunken Huntsman got up in arms against me, after I had no issue bartering with the War Maiden shop.  Near the center of the market his brother joined in, but only these two, and guards did nothing to intervene.  Again, I heard no reason why they were attacking me but I did not kill them, nor anybody in Riverwood as I was told that if I just gave them time of a day or two, the tension would be gone.

I have no bounty other than in the Reach Hold because of murder which I'm still confused how I got considering I was attacked first, so I'm wondering if any of these are as yet mysterious to me game feature, or a bug or some kind.

• 1 month later...

What I believe now is that by making all NPCs non-essential in the console, the brawl mechanism is overwritten, though it doesn't seem to count as a crime if a brawler is killed.

In Discord, somebody suggested race as a cause for the unexpected hostility, but my character is a Wood Elf and that day in Riverwood mentioned above included Faendal attacking me, and after I escaped to Whiterun, curiously only Elrindir and his brother were attacking.

Since then, I had a day when Zaria of Grave Concoctions in Falkreath suddenly was hostile, and orcs in their strongholds (this one is surprising because I was made a blood kin and had also done a favor for Malacath), and after fleeing from one orc stronghold I came across the companions Vilkas and Athis attacking a bear, but only Athis was marked as hostile (as seen from a distance when wearing Nocturnal's Cowl).  And, Delphine in Dragonsreach before giving Farengar the Dragonstone (and is partly why I decided I will not give him the item to complete that quest).

So, there are many idiosyncrasies that I cannot account for yet, what offends an NPC to the point it would attack me on sight despite having a morality actor value of 3.

I know Nocturnal's Cowl is problematic for some but many hostilities I've had before I had acquired that item or when I wasn't even wearing it, though I believe there is some kind of cooldown with that item and the effect is still active for some time after the cowl is unequipped and the visual effects fade.