Newbie at Modding Needs xEdit Help with Clothing & Clutter Fixes

Taffer42

I've had this game for a long time now, but only recently started playing / modding it seriously. (By modding, I mean using mods, not creating.)

I'm trying to create a patch for Clothing and Clutter Fixes (for personal use) (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43053), but I'm something of a newbie when it comes to xEdit. I've spent a few days studying this mod through xEdit and doing a lot of research. I've managed to answer about 1,017 of my questions this way, but there's some stuff that's either beyond me or just doesn't seem to have any answers "out there" that I can find.

(I realize this is a forum for SSE, and this mod is for original Skyrim...but I'm playing SSE and my patch is pretty much a compatibility patch.)

Instead of throwing out several questions at once, I'm just going to ask one or two things at a time. I'm going to start with what I think is the most critical:

I have both Clothing & Clutter Fixes and Nightingale Hall Restored (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13632) installed. xEdit is giving me critical conflicts (fushia background!) It seems both are trying to inject keywords into the same FormIDs. They appear to be identical, aside from their EditorIDs (for example, Keyword xxAF0109 has EditorID WAF_MaterialFaction in CCF, but has EditorID WAF_ArmorMaterialFaction_KRY in NHR). Is it enough to delete the conflicting keywords from one of these mods, or will I have to go in and alter records that refer to them as well? (I'm not sure if the FormID alone is enough, or if the EditorID of the keyword is also necessary.)

Thanks for your help!

Taffer

First off, if you're on SSE, you should be aware of this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18994

Secondly, you should at the same time be aware that the port to SSE was not done correctly and is not suitable for use in a game you intend to actually keep. It will corrupt your save at some point down the line until it gets fixed. You don't need to wait for her to do this though. Just load the .esp file into the SSE CK and click save and it's all fixed.

I don't know for sure what the keyword situation is with what you're doing but the SSE version once properly ported would be the way to go on that.

Injected records are great, but if they're using identical form IDs with radically different data in them that's going to be problematic. Especially if one of them isn't the same kind of record as the other.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out! I've been keeping my eyes open for this! Just in time to save me doing a lot of work for nothing! :)

And thanks for the tip...I try to always check my mods, especially the converted ones. I've caught a couple that were just copied over and not properly converted.

I'll try to explain the keyword situation better. (I suspect I'll have a similar problem with the new mod...but even if I don't, I'm learning!)

Each mod, if I am understanding correctly, is trying to inject keywords into Update.esm. As an example, the first mod has the keyword WAF_MaterialFaction at FormID 01AF0109. The second mod has the keyword WAF_ArmorMaterialFaction_KRY using the same FormID. Aside from different names, they appear virtually identical. (It might help to know that both these mods were written by the same person, so it's not surprising the keywords are identical.)

I want to fix the error by going in and removing the keywords from one of these mods, thus removing the conflict. Mod #1 refers to the keyword from Mod #1, and Mod #2 refers to the keyword from Mod #2...if I remove the keywords from one mod, will it affect that mod? Since both mods use the same FormID, I am thinking all will be good. However, I don't know if the EditorID (the name of the keyword) is used to reference the keyword at all, however. If it is, and I remove the keywords from Mod #1, then Mod #1 may not work properly anymore. If all it uses is the FormID, it should be fine.

(I realize under other circumstances, things would NOT be fine...but in this case, since they are identical, they are doing the same job, so it is a unique situation.)

I hope I explained myself better this time. Sorry if I caused any confusion. :(

Taffer

I think you'd need to ask the author why those are that way. She probably has a reason since choosing an injected form ID is something she'd have to consciously do. Taking one out without knowing why it's there is likely to do more harm than good.

Editor IDs are generally not used by the game itself. It goes by form IDs. So the mismatch in IDs isn't worth worrying about.

Thanks for the help. I'm putting off further questions at this time, until I've had a look at the new SSE version of the mod, and it's companion.

Taffer