Oldrim to special edition help?

KhaozEatR

I need help porting a mod from oldrim to the special edition I found a guide that says to open the oldrim mod by activating it in nexus mod manager then opening it in the new creation kit. it wont open because it requires more then one master file so creation kit tries to open all the master files and can't. help?

Out of the box the Creation Kit will not load more than one master at a time. This can be fixed fairly easily by doing an INI edit.

Here's a video (it is for Skyrim 2011 but will work for the new CK as well) that explains how to make the edit.

mmkay so i was able to open the file in creation kit. the next step was to simply get it to save and check everything. so i did then tested in game all the assets are there but don't apear to be working at all. the mod i am trying to port had a .bsa file but the instructions told me not to bother with it so does that have anything to do with why it isnt working?

2 hours ago, KhaozEatR said:

~the mod i am trying to port had a .bsa file but the instructions told me not to bother with it~

If the mods BSA contains scripts and resources essential to how the mod works, then not including it in the port is probably a really bad idea.

9 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Here is the information about porting a Skyrim mod to SSE. 

So how do you unpack a .bsa file? is it as simple as using a zip program or loading it into a text document?

Best one for extracting (and support for newer games) B.A.E

Best one for packing them up again is the official archiver (comes with the CK)

2 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Best one for extracting (and support for newer games) B.A.E

Best one for packing them up again is the official archiver (comes with the CK)

I checked out bae and it gives me an error when i try to open it saying its not supported or is corrupted. Do i not click on the open archive button? Ok I think I figured it out. Edit*

Edited by KhaozEatR
error

I unpacked the files and did the texture and mesh conversions. What is left before I pack and where is the official archiver in the CK? Do I need to combine the modified .bsa to the .esp?

Edited by KhaozEatR
also...

15 hours ago, KhaozEatR said:

I unpacked the files and did the texture and mesh conversions. What is left before I pack and where is the official archiver in the CK? Do I need to combine the modified .bsa to the .esp?

You need to repack the BSA and create an archive with the Archive.exe tool that Bethesda has provided us.  After that just login into Bethesda.net and select what platform you want to upload the mod to.

Should you see a blank window about a mod then click on the "Create a mod" button to the bottom left in that window in the CK.

I was thinking about just being able to use my favorite mod myself though I give full credit to the original author. I just want to be able to use it in special edition and I was thinking about posting it so others can use it but it's not my mod though. On the nexus page the author said I couldnt steal the work without crediting. So could I reload the mod and post link to original? The mod was made back in 2013.

so I repacked the files and got a .bsa and a .bsl reloaded with the .esp into a zipped folder activated via NMM and its still not working properly. Do I have to upload the mod just to get it to work? It's never needed a script extender so would it need one now? 

9 hours ago, Leonardo said:

You need to repack the BSA and create an archive with the Archive.exe tool that Bethesda has provided us.  After that just login into Bethesda.net and select what platform you want to upload the mod to.

Should you see a blank window about a mod then click on the "Create a mod" button to the bottom left in that window in the CK.

Update: I've been playing around with the archiver trying to get this thing to work and I ended up with four different files .esp .bsa .bsl and .bak no clue what either of these mean and neither of them are doing anything unless NMM doesnt load them or something. Is there a way to test a mod without having to upload? Everything loads, all the actors and textures and meshes are there but its still not behaving like its supposed to.

Edited by KhaozEatR
also...

I think you need to start from here https://bethesda.net/community/

Scroll down to Creation kit, that will take you here https://bethesda.net/community/category/131/creation-kit

Choose a game

I dont know if any of those communities link to the wiki anywhere, but you may want to bookmark this too ..

http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Landing_page

Click either Skyrim or Fallout picture, and there is a wealth of tutorials and info there.

Arthmoor also did a walk through on using the archive.exe 

If you also have a look at AFK Mods main page https://www.afkmods.com/

In the second section "Bethesda Games", click any game title, and then in the sub-topics you will find for each of them a "Knowledge Base" section .. This site has a heap of articles waiting to be searched, here's the Skyrim Classic Knowledge Base https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/forum/369-knowledge-base/

After you have read the official bethesda community help, AFK Mods knowledge bases are the place to come for tips from our most experienced community members collated into topics such as "Skyrim Information Baked into saves", which you will not find anywhere else or so well researched.

Good luck with your modding, I linked all the above because it seems to me you are just pinging for specific "as you go along" answers (which after a bit of study you are managing to figure out anyway), its obvious that you have not read the basic material associated with using the software .. Where you should be starting from. Bethesda dont exactly make things obvious, and the new forums are a bit lacking in logical links to good collections of info, but if you bookmark and follow the above I reckon you will find answers to just about all your modding questions, then come back here for the more advanced stuff the Unofficial Patch team are good at.

18 hours ago, KhaozEatR said:

Update: I've been playing around with the archiver trying to get this thing to work and I ended up with four different files .esp .bsa .bsl and .bak no clue what either of these mean and neither of them are doing anything unless NMM doesnt load them or something. Is there a way to test a mod without having to upload? Everything loads, all the actors and textures and meshes are there but its still not behaving like its supposed to.

I don't use NMM, but I think in this case just aviod using NMM when converting a standard mod for SSE.  Once the you have converted a standard mod for SSE then load into the CK or activate it and try it youself in-game.

The only thing I know about these files is that the esp and the bsa is obvious.  IIRC, the bsl file is necessary for the game to even read the bsa.

Also, don't forget to convert and include the SEQ-file, if a SEQ-file exist in the original mod, because the dialogue requires a SEQ-file.

3 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I don't use NMM, but I think in this case just aviod using NMM when converting a standard mod for SSE.  Once the you have converted a standard mod for SSE then load into the CK or activate it and try it youself in-game.

The only thing I know about these files is that the esp and the bsa is obvious.  IIRC, the bsl file is necessary for the game to even read the bsa.

Also, don't forget to convert and include the SEQ-file, if a SEQ-file exist in the original mod, because the dialogue requires a SEQ-file.

Well I pretty much just deleted all the files except the .esp and did a backup of my data folder. then I put all the meshes, textures, sounds, and scripts into the corresponding folders. Now the mod works but it goes to a black screen (with hud still visible) whenever I try to get the dragon to fly from a to b and I can't remember how I fixed that in oldrim. Still doing some tests in game to see if I can even run it alongside real time dragon fast travel mod. 

Edited by KhaozEatR
also...

Part of me wonders if the game glitches out due to trying to load too many textures at once because I see the trees and ground flicker on and off before it goes all black. Isn't there a mod to help with loading issues? There was one in oldrim mods to help with this problem. 

Best way to tell if you are running out of VRAM due to overuse of high res textures is Skyrim Performance Monitor

3826-0-1486239494.png

Two green lines are important. The dark dotted one at the top is my maximum laptop VRAM around 3gb

The light green line in the top graph is how much VRAM at any particular time is being used while playing the game.

If you quit the game and find that the light green line goes all the way up to meet the dark green dotted line ..

.. You are using too many high res textures from mods. Problems like black textures, stuttering will be indicators that the graphics card ram has become a bottleneck, you get to the stage where VRAM is full, but the game engine wants to load up more textures for objects now in the game which needs them, but there is not enough physical room to swap textures into / out of video ram

Here's an extensive topic on the subject of textures ...