Modding Tools Survey (zEdit)

Mator

I have created a survey on modding tools and APIs to get ideas for zEdit, a modding tool I am building off of the xEdit framework.

zEdit will be an Electron application built with AngularJS with a similar feature set to xEdit, with some improvements:

• A modern, customizable GUI
  • A robust package system
  • An automated patching system to replace SkyProc/SUM
  • Integrated tools for automating simple tasks

This survey is to get an idea of what other modding tools and APIs do well, and what they could do better.  The information gathered through this survey will be used to design and develop zEdit.

Survey Link

8 hours ago, Beermotor said:

Sounds very interesting. Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "a robust packaging system"?

I mean a system which lets other developers create packages of code and assets which can modify/add to any part of the application, which users can download and install.  A "moddable modding tool", so to say.

3 hours ago, Mator said:

I mean a system which lets other developers create packages of code and assets which can modify/add to any part of the application, which users can download and install.  A "moddable modding tool", so to say.

I've been casually following the work you've been doing with xedit-lib and it sounds like it is all coming together now.

That sounds like a fantastic idea actually.

On 8/5/2017 at 2:25 AM, Beermotor said:

I've been casually following the work you've been doing with xedit-lib and it sounds like it is all coming together now.

That sounds like a fantastic idea actually.

Thank you.  :)

On 8/9/2017 at 0:37 AM, alt3rn1ty said:

We need to log in to google to do this ?

I would have really liked to contribute to this particular survey

The reason the google login is required is twofold:

1. To prevent a single person from submitting multiple responses.

2. So you can go back and edit your response if you change your mind/decide to add something to it later.

The responses are still anonymous - I don't get any information on what google account a particular response is associated with.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:41 AM, Mator said:

The responses are still anonymous - I don't get any information on what google account a particular response is associated with.

alt3rn1ty probably just doesn't want to opt into the Google intelligence network, or support Google after the diversity manifesto thing. *shrug*

On 8/15/2017 at 0:47 AM, fireundubh said:

alt3rn1ty probably just doesn't want to opt into the Google intelligence network, or support Google after the diversity manifesto thing. *shrug*

He can always create a throwaway google account, sign in in a private browsing session, and then clear cookies.  It's certainly a fair bit of effort to respond to a simple survey, but that's how it is for now.  I've already received a ton more feedback than I can adequately process.  As much as I do appreciate more feedback, I'm not interested in lifting the restriction so that a few dozen more people can respond because they don't have and don't want to make a google account.  It's not a good trade-off for me when the downsides include the potential of people flooding the survey with duplicate or spam responses.

I completely understand your position. You REALLY should get alt3rn1ty's input though. Maybe via PM, or something, in this one particular case. :)

On 8/9/2017 at 0:37 AM, alt3rn1ty said:

We need to log in to google to do this ?

I would have really liked to contribute to this particular survey

I created a copy of the survey which does not require a google account to respond to.  If this copy of the survey gets spammed I won't be looking at the responses, so hopefully that won't happen.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc3nlg9QuXDr5674ABcjv1M1pLbw_Yy7h3VVhhfdUrgErxdMA/viewform?usp=sf_link

• 3 weeks later...