[CK] I found a door in the middle of nowhere

Leonardo

What I found in the CK is this ID in the Wilderness 8,1 cell.

CWEscapeCityExteriorDoorWhiterun

What in earth does that mean?  Is it a modding technique or what?

It's a leftover from the cut civil war content. Something to do with the Jarl being able to escape the city but I'm not sure exactly how it was supposed to work.

Really?  I knew it was about the civil war but that no.

I bet this would never be included in CRF or am I mistaken.  When one notice that in the CK, is there any advice (encounter zone?) about that kind of stuff aside for not touching it in the CK while working on a mod?

It's entangled with the civil war so it's unlikely to end up in CRF. It would make little sense to restore just this small piece when there would be no context behind why it was even possible. Besides, it probably flows better to have the Whiterun attack work as it does now when the Stormcloaks win and you confront Balgruuf inside the palace.

My guess is that Bethesda wanted to let the player to both win and loose a siege, if the player join the Empire or let the Jarl escape Dragonreach and Whiterun if the defenders were killed during the siege.

There's also one behind the palace in Riften on the outside of the city. Can't recall if any other cities have them, but since every hold capitol was supposed to be involved in the CW initially it wouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

There's also one behind the palace in Riften on the outside of the city. Can't recall if any other cities have them, but since every hold capitol was supposed to be involved in the CW initially it wouldn't surprise me.

Hmm... Intresting.  I recall the negotiations in-game in the Season Unending (MQ302) and in one playthrough I got the option to actually give the Stormcloaks control over Falkreth which I did.  So like you I wouldn't be surprised to find a door there too.

These unused doors could be used in the same way you're using *hidden* doors for OCS based on what I know you did for OCR in Oblivion.

Spoiler

I actually found a *hidden* door behind some rocks in Skingrad.